Need help with stack and tilt!

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,after a long break from both golf and the forum,I am right back into this great game again! I have been having some success with the stack and tilt method(as my old swing was awful!) and I am finally making good contact with the centre of the clubface regularly,but i cannot find decent distance.My average 6 iron used to be about 160-165 yards but now its more like 110-120! How can I get my old distances back? How can you generate power using stack and tilt? All help appreciated!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi guys,after a long break from both golf and the forum,I am right back into this great game again! I have been having some success with the stack and tilt method(as my old swing was awful!) and I am finally making good contact with the centre of the clubface regularly,but i cannot find decent distance.My average 6 iron used to be about 160-165 yards but now its more like 110-120! How can I get my old distances back? How can you generate power using stack and tilt? All help appreciated!

sounds like a lesson would be the best bet. your in trouble if your only hitting your 6 iron 110-120! are you sure of these distances?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Grip correct?
S1_S1_speeddrill.jpg

Just jesting, im sure Justone will be along presently as he can sniff S&T banter a mile away. :)

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have incorporated a lot of S&T into my swing and find I hit it further if anything.

How are you learning it... do you have the Plummer and Bennett book?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im thinking of learning the stack and tilt method for driving and poss my woods. my irons are sound. whats the best way of going about learing the S&T set up for driving. books or youtube vids?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
im thinking of learning the stack and tilt method for driving and poss my woods. my irons are sound. whats the best way of going about learing the S&T set up for driving. books or youtube vids?

Why? Why have 2 swings? The swing you use now for your irons, should be the same for your woods. If it is not working. Then there is something wrong that is being masked by the loft of the irons.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Driving is what most S&T users find hardest as it does promote a steep angle of attack if not done correctly. I use less S&T method in my teeshots than irons, so I would be careful. If you are going to adopt S&T, I'd say do it throughout your game. Irons are where you will notice the biggest benefits in my view.

That said, the book is excellent for picking up theory in the first instance. Plummer and Bennett are the authors.

There is plenty of info on youtube, but I use that as a top up. Just using video clips means you'd be in danger of only getting bits and pieces of the technique rather than understanding the pattern as a whole.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why? Why have 2 swings? The swing you use now for your irons, should be the same for your woods. If it is not working. Then there is something wrong that is being masked by the loft of the irons.

We may have slightly different reasons Dave but I agree with you entirely ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The book is a must.

I'm just in the process of re-reading it at the minute :thup:

The faults and fixes section, when you understand the fundimentals is a massive help.

As to the OP's question regarding distance loss, I have no idea, but I bet James (JustOne) may have an idea.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers lads! The 110 yard 6 iron shots were from last nights range session.I did slow down a bit to help the new swing set in but when I tried to speed things up I couldn't hit any further! Earlier in the week I was hitting my usual 160ish distance but I lost some accuracy,now every shot flies off the centre of the club face but my distance is reduced quite a bit.I have the book and the first DVD btw.

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There are two moves in the Stack and Tilt pattern that generate power and a good execution of both is essential.
1. The hands must move inwards at the correct rate in the back swing and 2. The spine must tilt and extend in the correct manner in the downswing through impact whilst the lead leg also straightens and tucks the but under the hips. This second movement is what creates the speed in the swing through impact.
A good drill to try is to make a back swing until the left arm is parallel to the ground (P3) and then swing at the ball as hard as you can and cut the finish off with the arms at chest high. Try to hit the ball as far as possible using this drill and then move to a full back swing with the cut off finish. Finally try with a full back and through swing and you should find that your swing speed has increased along with the distance that you hit the ball.
Remember at all times that the hands should lead the club head into impact so that you get best contact with the ball.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
JustOne are you out there? Any other ideas on stack and tilt power generation are most welcome,I feel it's one step forwards,two steps back!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

i think i stretch my hands/arms too far away from the body. this gets worse the longer the clubs are. need to work on getting them closer to myself.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im aware this also makes me lose my balance on the follow through. im away from golf for the next week but have a few ideas of things i want to work on when i get back. hands hanging down and not way out in front of me is the main one.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hi, work on your hand speed with the flying wedge drill..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xBLkJLI9RE

Make sure you allow your right hip to 'retract' on the backswing and that you have sufficient forward bend at setup with your left shoulder turning down towards the ball

Here's another vid with a bit of detail.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9c57NhZFl8 at impact you feel like you hit the ball with your chest (big muscles) which creates the armspeed. From there you can move on to a fuller swing.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you sooo much JustOne,more stuff to try at the range tonite,will report back with my findings! Cheers brother!