Need help before clubs get snapped!!

Mandofred

Visit site
The first thing that occurred to me......not turning your shoulders, you are just using your arms. How do I know? Psychic?

Last edited:

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello,

I know I’ll get the “see a pro” comment but if I could get some advice, that would be appreciated.

I have massive problems with distance, my drives are straight but short therefore I usually need a hybrid or a wood (my swing is very slow, so 3/4 iron is out the window) to make up the difference, usually to give me a shot onto the green. However, I can’t hit either of them well. They mostly come out low and left. They also come out right. Basically anywhere I want it to go. How do I fix it?!

I appreciate any advice!

Bear in mind that most of the advice given to you here is by players who possibly have worse swings and bigger faults than you do.
You know what to do. Don't take advice from a waiting room full of poorly patients, book an appointment with the doctor himself. Time to see the pro ;)

D

Deleted member 21258

Is it easy to do?? If I try and swing faster the chances are I'm more likely to hit the ground instead of the ball.

yeah very easy to do, see other post I did. Not something to be done on the course to start with, do the dry swings in your garden or like, then progress to balls(air balls or normal balls into a sheet or like in the garden) and then the course(all with a radar, or you may not be increasing your swing speed).

Its a great journey to do over a few months but it is a journey, hair pulling sometimes on a course. You have to relearn your timing/release, especially if your swing isn't great.

It slowly becomes your new swing speed. For me I went from approx. 90 to now 103mph normal, I have done speed training three times in total and slowly got faster/more consistent with the speed mph recorded (I can swing faster, maxed is now 107-109mph with a ball and without a ball max 117ish, originally max was mid/high 90s with & without a ball iirc. ). Wife was normal 58ish in march, max 62mph, now she is 66mph,max 72mph and still going up with a ball(without a ball she is max 82mph). Son was a similar story. One arm swings with the driver shaft are crazy, to do and how fast you can get with them(172mph right hand, 151 left hand:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, a great laugh!)

Failing that goto a pro and learn how to hit it straight and proper launch conditions and get a red hot short game, if a short hitter. Golf can be played so many ways and no one is right;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AS per Old Skier

What is your handicap?

If you know you cannot reach a green why try? Work on what is a good lay up distance for you and work on hitting close to the pin from that distance.

Take a scorecard work out which greens you cannot reach in 2 and add one shot to the par for that hole and treat that as your par.

Fabia999

Visit site
Hey all.
Thanks for all the replies. My handicap is 23 but I seem to freeze when I know it’s a comp, maybe it’s also that I’m on the white tees and I have longer to hit it haha.

I went into the nets today, and put liquid on the club face to see where I was hitting them. I noticed that most were right on the heel and a couple on the toe. Something I’ve never had a problem with. I thought more about hitting the ball in the centre and striking improved, I also noticed after the strike is turned. I’m gripping quite firm so I’ve ordered a new glove, hopefully this helps?

I also took advice of 1/2 power to straighten up the shots, this also helped but I’m hitting them low.

Fabia999

Visit site
AS per Old Skier

What is your handicap?

If you know you cannot reach a green why try? Work on what is a good lay up distance for you and work on hitting close to the pin from that distance.

Take a scorecard work out which greens you cannot reach in 2 and add one shot to the par for that hole and treat that as your par.

125/130 yards into the green, I feel confident. As soon as I can pull out a 7 iron or higher.

Mandofred

Visit site
That actually sounds quite accurate. Have you been watching me? :eek:
Joking aside, what made you say that?
I play with a couple of guys that do the same thing. I think it's partially an age thing. I'm 63 and have gone to larger grips and have really tried to shorten my swing. The ball goes just as far and I am a lot more consistent. My swing key is to take the first part of my backswing with nothing moving other than my upper body (yeah, I know my legs are going to move/hips etc) until the clubhead gets even with my hip. This forces me turn my shoulders. When I do this I stop fading the ball and can draw the ball. The problem.....I slowly start swinging harder and longer and things turn evil. My theory....is that people really want that club to go to level or even past in the backswing because....?????......well, because the "good" guys do that. I think most people don't need to take the club much past vertical. Here is what I try to do......take it with the proverbial grain of salt. Like someone else said.....lots of opinions from people.
1. video yourself. It's a humbling experience. I swing sooooooo slow.....in my head it doesn't feel as slow as it looks. I have several people I play with that can't believe how far I hit it with such a slow swing.
2. I quite often use a 1-2-3 count to smooth out my swing. Club behind ball is 0. Clubhead horizontal at hip height is 1. Clubhead vertical is 2. Hitting the ball is 3. Backswing twice the time of the downswing is what I go for. Smooth. Smooth. Smooth. Sudden movement/change of direction is death.
3. Keep your eye on the back of the ball. I really really have trouble here. When I do it I swing through the ball soooo much better and the fade goes away.
4. I've gone to a strong grip AND back to the 10 finger grip. Grip is something that will be argued about forever.
5. Weight at address 60-40. Front foot 60%. Don't let the weight shift (sway) to the back foot.
6. Don't let your wrists move much. Just a little bit. Lots of wrist is great if you are hitting 300+.....Minimal hand movement improves consistency for us mere mortals.

I've had a couple of beers. It's Curry takeaway night..... When in doubt, keep your eye on the ball and swing through the ball.