Nasty slice

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
For ages now I have been suffering with a slice, more so with my long irons and most frustratingly with my driver/3 wood off the tee.

Had a couple of lessons and my pro has told me I'm coming over the top and also have a cupped wrist at the top of my backswing, both which cause a slice on there own but combined cause some HUGE slices.

My pro has given me some drills, 1) a gateway drill getting the clubface to pass between 2 golf balls set 10 inches apart, one on the inside of the ball and one on the outside. 2) rather than having the club face pointing away from me halfway through my back swing I need to have it pointing to the ground with the angle of the face replicating my spine angle........ happy enough practising these but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend anything else?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a slice and if I go for it then I am goosed. I use a slower more progressive downswing and concentrate on keeping it smooth. Only thought I really have is tempo and also to keep the face neutral on the backswing. Doesnt always work but I hit 7 f.i.r last time out which is my best yet!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
on the swing it easy note., I hit my best drive of around 260 on Sunday and in all honesty I felt I had hardly swung the club. thats with a 12 deg reg flex so not too shabby at all. It did have a bit of fade on it but I now dont fight that and aim left a bit. Give it a try

GOLFBALL_WHACKER_GUY

Challenge Tour Pro
www.sasroofing.co.uk
Accuracy before distance. Try Hitting a ball at your usual speed, then hit another at only 70%. you will notice a huge difference in that alone.

At the range today I did the same, and using less effort I hit ball after ball straight at my target, with my driver, fairway woods and irons. Honestly didn't hit a bad shot and it's probably the only time I've ever managed it!

I've been told it's all about teaching your body a consistent swing, once you aquire one you can learn to swing faster.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your talking slice, mine was mahoosive I mean when I slice the ball goes so far right it practically ends up behind me :eek:

But I did find out through a lesson that part of the reason I slice, was that I lent back during my swing and after the follow through my chest wold be pointing skyward not at the target.

Another fault I had was that I would come down on the ball, I fixed that by forcing myself to have a wide back swing.

And lastly, so far, I found that at address my shoulders were not square on to the ball in line with my feet and hips, thus promoting an open posture and open club face at impact.

Now when at the driving range I'm conciously trying to remember the three things above and when I do and all three disappear so does the ball nice and straight into the distance.

Regards
Dave