Nairn Dunbar Golf Club, Nairn. (Video too)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
First of all, can I express a vested interest before my review.

This is the course where I played my first round of golf, aged 13, got my first handicap, my first lesson, won my first trophy and the measure by which I probably rate all other courses (and my own game!). But I think I can be reasonably impartial as I've only been a member (Junior, Senior or Country, on and off now) for 30 years!

Ok, we're just back from out annual golf trip and I got this footage of my round with my two pals. Thankfully for you guys the footage is Findlay-free (but I do apologise profusely for over-use of the word "peach" or derivatives thereof)

Nairn Dunbar GC. Video of holes 1-18

We played off the visitors yellow tees. Par 72 (SSS 71) 6290 yards.
The white medal tees make it Par 72 (SSS 74) 6765 yards.
Price. We paid £47 per man weekday.

It's not a pure links course in my mind as it is separated from the beach by the adjoining caravan park but it does get a links wind and links bounces on many holes. Some holes are more heathland, the best stretch being holes 6-11 in my view.

Holes 4,5 & 6 are 3 of the toughest par fours you'll find, depending on where the wind's blowing. I'm never disappointed to go round that stretch 5,5,5 with a card in hand. You could lose 6 balls there alone.

In fact it's a course where keeping the same ball you started with is a rarity. Gorse and whin bushes abound and there are some tight drives. Being of decent length, irons off many tees are not an option.

Some new bunkers on the course since last I played and they all add to the difficulty. Very well positioned around driving distance.

Holes 14-18 (known locally as "the flats" for obvious reasons) have a burn meandering through them and whilst they're not the most scenic of holes they're still a test, especially off the whites when the carry to the burn off the 17th tee is about 240 yards. Makes a great matchplay hole!.

The greens are to die for. The club has always kept them well, if a tad slow, but they've just invested 10 grand in a new iron which according to the assistant pro has added 3 feet of speed. You'll see from the vid that there was no problem sinking a few.

There's always a huge rivalry with it's better known neighbour (Nairn GC) but at the end of the day Nairn Dunbar is a Championship course with it's own unique qualities and always worth a game if you're in the area. Hey. I've been playing there for 30 years and have never got bored. In fact, half of my group of 15 this year reckon they enjoyed it more than Nairn.

Being so far north, with sunrise in summer at 4am and sunset around 11am you've even got time for 3 rounds in a day. I know. I've done it.

The moral. Get up there and have a game. You'll love it.

http://www.nairndunbar.com/

;)

RobCowan

Assistant Pro
www.carrobes.co.uk
John,

Glad all of you enjoyed the course. I got my membership there last June and I've loved every minute of playing it (apart from playing New Year's Eve as the course was like concrete, but that's not the club's fault!). We were a bit concerned over winter as they were late in tining the greens so they were not great quality coming into the season, but the difference that the iron has made is phenominal. The new bunkers have been well thought out too.

Next time you're back up this way, give me a shout and I'll happily sign you on for another round...

RobC.