N/R Penalties

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What do we think to this? https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/world-handicap-system-no-return-penalties/

Personally I try never to N/R unless it is through illness or injury and for me finishing last in my division is no big deal. I may get some stick on the day in the 19th but the next round will be someone else's turn. Now I understand it is looking at persistent offenders but is re-setting handicaps or other sanctions really going to encourage people to become members and play comps? It does seem to me that there is a tiny hint of "Big Brother" with this new system and that players are under almost constant scrutiny. Is it going to suck the fun put of playing? How will roll up groups cope if no-one in the group wants it to be a qualifying card?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
No sensible club in the world will impose penalties. Why did you NR on 10th? Because I hit a drive on the fairway, it was plugged and lost and I didn’t go back to the tee because there was a group waiting and I wasn’t stroking on that hole anyway. Ok then.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No sensible club in the world will impose penalties. Why did you NR on 10th? Because I hit a drive on the fairway, it was plugged and lost and I didn’t go back to the tee because there was a group waiting and I wasn’t stroking on that hole anyway. Ok then.
I've only ever put in 1 NR in strokeplay and it was this exact scenario. Presumably they are only looking at extreme examples, not the odd occasion.

Cake

Club Champion
Visit site

This is referring to when you N/R the entire round (by not handing in a card), rather than N/R on individual holes because you couldn’t score in Stableford... there is a mechanism for determining a score for holes that do not have a score recorded (Double nett bogey?). I assume the same is true for medal play for handicap purposes.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I tend to agree with the sentiments of the article. There are too many n/r's when you look at the bottom end of the scores on club comps. If a player cows up a couple of holes it's still possible to get on track and record scores for say 16 holes, it's just often for vanity when someone having a poor round where they just dont want to show their score to the rest of the Club.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I N/R more than most I guess. Not from vanity, it's just once you can't buffer, why bother,? I still record and enter scores for the holes I finish though. Can't really see an issue with this, but I am not wasting time looking for balls, playing provisionals, putting out for a 10 etc when the round is a bust.

In the new system, it will be less obvious when the moment has gone, but I will work it out.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This is referring to when you N/R the entire round (by not handing in a card), rather than N/R on individual holes because you couldn’t score in Stableford... there is a mechanism for determining a score for holes that do not have a score recorded (Double nett bogey?). I assume the same is true for medal play for handicap purposes.

My club, like many I think, impose a penalty on anyone who doesnt return their card even if it's an n/r.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

So it's a NCR no card return which makes secretary's jobs a pain hunting down missing cards.

D

Deleted member 15344

My club, like many I think, impose a penalty on anyone who doesnt return their card even if it's an n/r.
What “penalty” do they impose ?

at the end of the day it’s just a game for fun for us - it’s a hobby , if someone walks off , so what ? It’s his choice and if someone doesn’t hand their card in , no big deal.

Always seems a bit silly the reactions when someone NRs or card not being handed - it’s not that big a problem and if they card isn’t there you don’t need to go “hunting” - you just DQ and close the comp.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
i think in the 12 years ive been playing ive NR twice at most.

wonder what the process is with the new handicap system?

Taken to extreme - what would happen to your handicap if you have more than 8 NRs in your last 20 rounds - so don;t have 12 counting rounds in your last 20 (yes I know the club would pull you up if you are NRing that number of times - but I suppose it's possible if you have a medical condition that means you can still play - but might mean you NRing a lot of times)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What effect does a nr have on your handicap in WHS? Currently a crappy round and nr both get you a .1
Mmm..that really bad round could put a not so bad round into your best 8 so a handicap change could happen. No card equals no returned score equals no change?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

at the end of the day it’s just a game for fun for us - it’s a hobby , if someone walks off , so what ? It’s his choice and if someone doesn’t hand their card in , no big deal.

Always seems a bit silly the reactions when someone NRs or card not being handed - it’s not that big a problem and if they card isn’t there you don’t need to go “hunting” - you just DQ and close the comp.
If it's just a bit of fun why bother to have a handicap at all.
Cards not being handed in can affect a players 'averaged' handicap and the player has had the opportunity to 'practice' under competition conditions.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

It used to be a ban for a period of time.

D

Deleted member 15344

If it's just a bit of fun why bother to have a handicap at all.
Cards not being handed in can affect a players 'averaged' handicap and the player has had the opportunity to 'practice' under competition conditions.
By fun game it means - it’s not our career , we don’t rely on golf as a living, we turn up - we enjoy ourselves and then we go home. If someone is not enjoying themselves and playing that badly and wants to walk in - so what ? Should they be “punished” . It’s supposed to be a social game , a game that needs to bring people into it

Do you really think someone is just “practising under comp conditions “ if they NR ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
By fun game it means - it’s not our career , we don’t rely on golf as a living, we turn up - we enjoy ourselves and then we go home. If someone is not enjoying themselves and playing that badly and wants to walk in - so what ? Should they be “punished” . It’s supposed to be a social game , a game that needs to bring people into it

Do you really think someone is just “practising under comp conditions “ if they NR ?
If they set out with the intention of getting a good score but knowing that if they didn't have one by the 15th (say) they would just nr, I would consider they had 'practised' under competition conditions. If the player simply wants to play why enter the competition? The rules don't prevent him playing with competition players. But if he has a handicap and plays badly, shouldn't that be reflected in his handicap? Particularly if he is a serial offender.
But the committee has to consider all the circumstances. The rule is aimed at the persistent NRer not the one off.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have been banging on to our players for years about this, particularly the Cat 1 players who have been the worst offenders.

Wolf

Visit site
Some people take things far to seriously we're merely a bunch of weekend (sometimes weekday) warriors playing for fun. What effect does it have on peoples lives that they need to be so passionate about someone that returns an NR or doesn't return a card. Golf is a hobby at the end of the day people get far to precious about things like this that ultimately doesn't even matter as there are far more important things to worry about.