My swing

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nowt much wrong with that to my eyes. Maybe widen the stance a tad, to give a better grounding. Nice to see another person who swings, in-square-in. Nice one. Bob will be along soon to put me right though.:whistle: .

Oh just noticed the right leg is straightening in the backswing. But its back in position at impact.

Last edited:

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What's wrong with that?QUOTE]

Beat me to it.

Robert Rock... right knee straightening on backswing... allowing easier hip turn, keeping swing centred, deeper shoulder turn.

[video=youtube;GDi6CKq5XXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDi6CKq5XXU&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Beat me to it.

Robert Rock... right knee straightening on backswing... allowing easier hip turn, keeping swing centred, deeper shoulder turn.

[video=youtube;GDi6CKq5XXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDi6CKq5XXU&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]

I think the problem comes when the leg straightens drastically from what it was at address and also if you lock it straight. In RR case I dont think it changes much at all.

If you go from really flexed at address to really straight then you will have problems maintaining your height in the swing. I try to keep the flex the same throughout the swing. Your hip should turn out of the way not really go up.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a lesson and had my swing videod.

I hit a draw as a standard shot. Apparently I need to add a little width onto my backswing and try and maintain more flex in my right leg. Anything else? Quality is pretty average but he has slowed it down a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdtKn-gFhsg

Nice swing shame about the video quality. Anyone pointing a camera from a dark area into the light should know that you are going to get a really dark picture. Your pro needs a backlight on his camera or tell him to turn the lights on.:D

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

Beat me to it.

Did I say it was where did I say that. Goodness these S&Ters are so touchy. It was an observation, Try reading what I wrote. Not what you think I wrote.:whistle: .

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you go from really flexed at address to really straight then you will have problems maintaining your height in the swing. I try to keep the flex the same throughout the swing. Your hip should turn out of the way not really go up.

How can you possibly get a decent hip turn without straightening (to some extent) the right leg??

I, personally don't think you can, and If you were to view it it would seem very armsy.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
;520041 said:
I think the problem comes when the leg straightens drastically from what it was at address and also if you lock it straight. In RR case I dont think it changes much at all.

I agree that the locking of the knee is bad. However there are plenty of very good players who straighten the right knee during the backswing to great effect. But because the straightening of the right leg is a component of S&T methodolgy, there are those who have belatedly decided that a straightening right knee is the work of the devil. It isn't and never has been...

As a means to develop proper deep shoulder turn, avoid a big sway off the ball and remain more centred, it's one of the simplest and most effective changes I've ever incorporated into my golf swing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Nowt much wrong with that to my eyes. Maybe widen the stance a tad, to give a better grounding. Nice to see another person who swings, in-square-in. Nice one. Bob will be along soon to put me right though.:whistle: .

Oh just noticed the right leg is straightening in the backswing. But its back in position at impact.

^
^
^
I love this. Get your tuppence in first before declaring Bob will be along soon... it's a classic forum move :thup:

Genius.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did I say it was where did I say that. Goodness these S&Ters are so touchy. It was an observation, Try reading what I wrote. Not what you think I wrote.:whistle: .

Ok, so you have observed, so now bring something to the debate then. You observed that the right leg straightened on the backswing. What was the point you were making there, as apprently it was carefully worded to carry no judgement? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If I could pick up on one thing it would be that your left knee is pointing behind the ball, that means that you're a little narrow with your legs at the top and the left knee has to do a lot of work to get you back to being 'stable' on the downswing. I'd say that the knee/thigh should point no more left than 'at the ball' then it can recover to a better position on the downswing.

A better lower body can help your position at the top as you'll feel more supported and can hold more 'width' in your swing without feeling off balance or over swinging (yours is a fraction long for me).

As were all into 'Robert Rock' swings at the moment here's a vid...... :D

[video=youtube;LQAhgiMOwRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQAhgiMOwRE[/video]

Last edited:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Are they straightening their right leg? Not sure. Mickleson's baggy trousers impossible to tell. Donald I dont this leg flex changed much if at all. Rory hard to tell from side on but looks like flex remains. Kaymer possibly went a bit straighter but not conclusive.

OK I dont mind if you laugh at this, but isnt it true that the leg also twists as the hips turn so even if the same amount of flex in the knee remained, it would look straighter from the same fixed camera angle? In other words if you did a really exaggerated turn with the hips you would eventually see the right leg almost face on (knee facing the camera). It will be flexed but you wouldnt see it? Does that make any sense at all?

I think its an illusion. Professional golfers back leg remains flexed at all times but the camera angle makes it look like it had straightened. Thats my theory and I'm sticking to it.:confused:

Most important to not trust the camera and just feel like you have some flex in that back leg IMO.
:confused:

Going out to get some more straws to clutch at...I might be some time.