My swing

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Some straighten it, some don't and some do it a little bit which is why you can't say to maintain it. If it needs to straighten a bit then let it.

It's semantics but straightening IS NOT locking it scaffold pole straight.

manaserro.jpg
Manaserro

TomWatson.jpg
Tom Watson

bubba.jpg
Bubba

ricky.jpg

Rickie 'Eastenders' Fowler....

Then you can have someone not quite so famous who keeps ALL of his knee flex....

rhys.jpg
Rhys Davies

Last edited:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

If you think that they are straightening their back leg. You are clutching at straws. Luke Donald,s & Rory McIlroys, hips do not rise in the back swing. If they straightened their back leg their hips would rise. Hard to tell with Mickelson but don't appear to. Same reason as above. Kaymer does appear to straighten slightly in the back swing.

Thats what I see anyway.:whoo: .

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^
Yeah... those specific examples are dubious at best, Donald isn't doing much there, Mickelson a bit, Rory a bit, Kaymer not much

this guy straightened just about as much as he could and won a couple of majors
Stop it at the top of his backswing...
[video=youtube;6D926CCOg7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D926CCOg7A[/video]

Telling someone to maintain the flex that they had at address if they don't need to is wrong. It's like telling someone to weaken or strengthen their grip... it's like saying you MUST have a strong grip.

It's a variable! if it needs to straighten then let it.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have to admit to only having a basic understanding of S&T so cannot really comment on how the legs must work there.

In the normal one or two plane swing straightening of the back leg in the backswing is a very bad move. It stops you transfering weight correctly and is a main contributor to the reverse pivot. It gets the shoulders off plane by dipping the front shoulder as you go back and doing the same with the back in the downswing. It destroys seperation between the hips and shoulders thus leaking rotational power. Other than anything used in S&T it is IMO one of the worse things someone can do. Just take a search on google and read the vast amount of teaching experts that advise against it.

Many of the pics shown are misleading due to the camera angle and poor light in some of them, it's no good searching for pictures like these, I can find masses of them that support the flexed knee theory.

Here is a link to a sample thread explaining the issue : http://sarasotagolftips.blogspot.com/2011/03/keep-right-knee-flexed.html.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
^
^
^
Yeah... those specific examples are dubious at best, Donald isn't doing much there, Mickelson a bit, Rory a bit, Kaymer not much

this guy straightened just about as much as he could and won a couple of majors
Stop it at the top of his backswing...
[video=youtube;6D926CCOg7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D926CCOg7A[/video]

Telling someone to maintain the flex that they had at address if they don't need to is wrong. It's like telling someone to weaken or strengthen their grip... it's like saying you MUST have a strong grip.

It's a variable! if it needs to straighten then let it.

Travino had a swing all of his own, great player but not a swing that any one teaches.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Travino had a swing all of his own, great player but not a swing that any one teaches.

Lots of descriptions of Trevino's swing - none of them mention 'classic' or 'textbook' except in the negative!

'A caveman killing his lunch'.
"five wrongs" that combine to make "an immaculate right." His stance was open, his grip firm, his shoulders pointing to the left of the point he was aiming for. Standing low over the ball, Trevino reached the top of his swing, his left wrist pushed outward, then he dragged the club down flat to the left.

Re Captainron's...

I guess I can see why coach want's a wider takeaway. Does seem to be inside then straight up. You also seem to change your spine angle significantly (getting more upright) on the downswing. Great lag!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I have to admit to only having a basic understanding of S&T so cannot really comment on how the legs must work there.

In the normal one or two plane swing straightening of the back leg in the backswing is a very bad move. It stops you transfering weight correctly and is a main contributor to the reverse pivot. It gets the shoulders off plane by dipping the front shoulder as you go back and doing the same with the back in the downswing. It destroys seperation between the hips and shoulders thus leaking rotational power. Other than anything used in S&T it is IMO one of the worse things someone can do. Just take a search on google and read the vast amount of teaching experts that advise against it.

Many of the pics shown are misleading due to the camera angle and poor light in some of them, it's no good searching for pictures like these, I can find masses of them that support the flexed knee theory.

Here is a link to a sample thread explaining the issue : http://sarasotagolftips.blogspot.com/2011/03/keep-right-knee-flexed.html.

You're referencing a blog that has approx 4 posts? :mad:

Reverse pivot? Only if you don't know how to turn your shoulders properly.

Understanding that if you move your weight to the right whilst trying to keep your head over the ball will make you reverse pivot, is FAR more important.

From the blog...
the flexed right knee affords the stability needed to transfer weight to your right side on the backswing and position it in your right hip at the top
If you want to stack over your right knee in a big move OFF THE BALL ala Leadbetter... keep it flexed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

That blog is such an obvious anti-S&T one it should be labelled as such. Or at least acknowledge that what they are saying does not apply to S&T! Or only to the Weight Transfer swing.

And besides that, much of it is a load of sh1te anyway - even for the Weight Shift swing!

Do agree that a stiff right leg is a major problem for Weight Transfer swing though.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That blog is such an obvious anti-S&T one it should be labelled as such. Or at least acknowledge that what they are saying does not apply to S&T! Or only to the Weight Transfer swing.

And besides that, much of it is a load of sh1te anyway - even for the Weight Shift swing!

Do agree that a stiff right leg is a major problem for Weight Transfer swing though.

Dont just look at that link, as I sugested google it and see how many coaches support the flexed right knee. I dont argue anything about S&T , IMO it is not the mainstay of golf swings.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Dont just look at that link, as I sugested google it and see how many coaches support the flexed right knee. I dont argue anything about S&T , IMO it is not the mainstay of golf swings.

Not sure whether you got the message I was trying to convey. Yes, the stiff right leg is 'bad' for the Weight Transfer (traditional) swing so the there should be loads of coaches supporting the flexed one. Of course, the reason is that flexed right leg enables weight transfer to occur while a stiff right leg tends to prevent it. But to simply say that you must always have a flexed right leg, for all swings, is wrong as, in the case of an S&T swing, this supports the 'stay centred' (no weight transfer) concept that is fundamental to its approach.

So
for traditional Weight Transfer swing; stiff right leg = bad
for S&T swing; stiff(ish) right leg = not bad,. In fact, very probably good

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure whether you got the message I was trying to convey. Yes, the stiff right leg is 'bad' for the Weight Transfer (traditional) swing so the there should be loads of coaches supporting the flexed one. Of course, the reason is that flexed right leg enables weight transfer to occur while a stiff right leg tends to prevent it. But to simply say that you must always have a flexed right leg, for all swings, is wrong as, in the case of an S&T swing, this supports the 'stay centred' (no weight transfer) concept that is fundamental to its approach.

So
for traditional Weight Transfer swing; stiff right leg = bad
for S&T swing; stiff(ish) right leg = not bad,. In fact, very probably good

I think thats what I said. I made a rider that it may be different in S&T.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I am pretty sure my swing is not S&T. I always thought I had a fairly classic swing?

No, your swing isn't S&T, the thread has just gone off topic and is talking about weight shift and the right leg straightening in various golf swing types.

I think your right leg is fine, it's the left that collapses inward a little too much.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i straighten out the right leg on the back swing. i think it depends how flexible you are. in my case im not but it doesnt really affect it. some nice lag on this swing.

robert rock doesnt take the club back to parallel. i think i strive to do this too much when recording my swing. no real need is there?