My swing

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Posture looks great Homer, a vast improvement. Although there are stills signs of the upward movement of the head which was mentionned last time, it seems your swing is very repeatable and you're striking the ball well. I also don't see that it is too quick, looks a good tempo to me.
Nice.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
For an eleven handicapper im quite impressed nice posture,very good set up and both hits went straight.Please could you tell me it looks like your right hand is really strong and my dad has told me thats what i need to do i can do it with any club up to a 5 iron,however after that i feel restricted in my swing and get less distance than i would with a weaker right hand.Also with that grip how far would you hit a 7 iron.Ta

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm a relatively short hitter as I lose power as I tend to come up and out of all my shots which is the head movement EaseNGrace refers to. I guess I hit a smooth 7 about 140 on a calm day although when I was working on my tempo and found the groove I was getting about another 3-5 yards per club. I wasn't aware of the right hand being to strong but the left is a little which is something my normal coach wants me to work with for a bit. I had a habit of rotating the hands slightly on the way back and the slightly stronger grip restricts that enough to make a decent turn. One less thing to have to compensate for

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Firstly the sarcasm... (of course)....
How many shots did you video before you hit a straight drive????? :D

and now my serious observation...

Watching your swing over and over again I think I've figured out what's wrong.. it's 3 things solved with one fix..

1) You are so worried that you will be off balance through the shot that you stand up through the shot, it stops you falling over.

2) Because you are off balance you rush through the transition before you complete your backswing.

3) Your brain is subconsciously scared of snapping your left ankle, so you stand up in the shot bringing your left hip up and out of the way, which in turn stops you getting onto your left side and throws you backwards.

Set up normally, nice and square, and then open that left foot 45°!! Normally I'd say 30° but in your case you need to <u>REALLY</u> get used to it.

This will create a really stable base for you to turn onto, your hip will feel released from it's cage, it will turn, your weight will be able to move properly forward and you will power through your shots onto your left side. You will trust yourself to get nicely to the top of your backswing without falling over and feel that you can really thrust onto that solid left foot without having to stand up or getting thrown backwards by that left hip stalling (kicking upwards instead of rotating).

45°.... nothing less for at least 1000 balls at the range :)

Here's a vid of Hogan. Watch his LEFT FOOT ONLY.
(On the long clubs it's way out there, less on the chipping of course, but still opened)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWLLPKiSMRk

Also, as your left knee flexes in the backswing, try and make it go towards the ball, don't collapse it to the right if you can help it.

Hope this helps... 45°!! :)

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer, you sure that's not your twin brother who plays off about 4? :D

Seriously, if I may say so, a big improvement on the last swings that I viewed. Both drives looked to be going well over 200yds :cool: :)

Golfmmad.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes i find the stronger grip more restrictive and i find it harder to hinge the wrists,ever since i changed 2 weeks ago to the stronger right hand ive lost 10 yrds per club,however i feel the new grip keeps it straighter.Just another question do you use the same grip for all shots including driver,because as i said before i cant use the grip above a five iron,ta

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Interesting and honestly they were first takes. I had the s***ks since changing the posture in Tuesday (falling forward during the swing) so today was the first day I actually got them going forward. I'm playing HTL tomorrow (won't be his day losing to me and England winning the rugby) and got a stableford on Sunday. I'll give it a go at the range next week and try it and video it and see if it makes a difference.

Its not something I was consciously aware of and don't feel out of balance as I swing but its got to be worth a go. Thanks for the tip and I see what you mean about Hogan

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I just drew some lines on the Hogan vid and his left foot is actually about 30° open even on the chipping. It needs to be as that's where you need your weight, forward. Wouldn't want to roll an ankle!

It just dawned on me as I used to have a very square left foot at address and would often bail up and out of shots... those were the days ;)

You should honestly feel excellent after a while.

Few other little things going on in there but one step at a time... :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Homer.
When you hit a straight shot, your swingpath must be straight and your clubface angle must be straight.
Your swing will never be perfect but if you can find a way to hit it straight and a reasonable distance, keep doing it.
140 with a 7 iron is not long but it is long enough to get you into Cat I
Whatever you're thinking, keep doing it.
Good job :)

DCB

Visit site
Your rythm is so much smoother than it was. Posture is better, but, I feel there is still a bit too much movement at the moment. It's certainly getting there.

Still a little bit more work on the rythm and you're going in the right direction.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Posture is good ,pace of the swing is good ,the thing i noticed is you seem to fall back with the top of your body.
Keep it up as its hard work. The first time i saw you swing i PMSL it was like a wrecking ball gone mad, but your new swing is like night and day much tighter if you keep working like that you'll get to single figures this season. Good luck mate.

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
your swing looks good, although i do have to agree that you do seem to have an aggressive "lift" of your head at impact.Have you tried the 10p drill? Just imagine there is a 10p under your ball,and try to see it after impact.This prevents that "lift".Best ti practice this at half pace first of all, then slowly speed up. As for your temps, well its horses for courses m8.Im a great believer in your swing speed imitating you in real life.Do you tend to do all things a bit quick(lol,not that)? As long as you are getting the club back square(and from those swings you are) all is good.I would say though if you did slow it down by maybe 10% this would maybe prevent that head lift.Just my opinions though! ;)

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't think anyone can criticise your swing because it's unique, and you know it better than anyone, and know what you're working on at any given time.

But you seem to be getting through the ball fine and consistantly, which is what it's all about.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with your tempo as long as you keep your balance through the shot, but that's your choice.

The only thing that looked a little unusual to me was your takeaway. You have a classic setup, and a smooth takeaway, but I saw this
Homer1.jpg

and it looks as though you are bending your left elbow in your initial movement.

Is that just the way it looks here? Or is that what you do, and you know about it? Or might it be of some small help?

If none of the above, please feel free to ignore the ramblings of a mad fool :eek:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice swing there Homer looks like a nice penetrating flight on the shots, touch of draw so definitely doing a lot right.

Theres been been some mention of you losing balance a bit. Wondered if slowing your backswing a fraction might help you.

What range is that? Ascot?

Cheers.