My Swing Video

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You said Alex has...

the shoulders tilted down more than the traditional swing

The 3 pics you posted above of Westwood, Rory and Tiger firstly I would assume that none of them are hitting more than an 8 iron and they achieve the angle of the shaft that they have in the pics by turning their left shoulders DOWN towards the ball, just look how deep the shoulder turn is on all 3 pics.....

So what are you getting at?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I like this swing a lot....

[video=youtube;MsW0WuytKAE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsW0WuytKAE[/video]

Would you say the club is parallel? Does the club go behind the knees? I don't think it does even with his driver.

but this isn't a S&T thread now.... or is it?

I didn't think (or say) Alex looked S&T at all.......... in need of it perhaps? I'll leave that up to him :D:D:D LOL

Last edited:
A

Alex1975

Apologies, we've digressed.
I think you've guessed the bakswing is a bit flat :)

Ye its a strange one, I am really aware of it and I thought the cure was to keep my hands high but its not it at all, well that may help but its really about the angle of the club by the look of it. Shame it was feeling really good and repeatable.

James, when is the S&T day out anyways?

A

Alex1975

Oh and I really should be asking what the drill or cure is for the flatness?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Alex.

Ignore the girlies fighting over S&T and get your weight off your toes! That'll mean that your right leg is a bit more bent (for Bob) and your (non S&T) weight transfer is better - into the right instep.

The old analogy of just perching your backside on a non-existent barstool would give more bend in the knees at setup and your weight would be further back. That should help both the right heel coming off the ground (a symptom of over-balance) and allow you to swing a bit steeper - which could be another compensation for your balance being too far forward. Alternatively (but a tad dangerously), you could concentrate on keeping that right heel on the ground and your balance mechanism will automatically adjust - the dangerous bit is that you may adjust by swaying, which ain't good either! So get the balance right and the symptom of the bad balance (the raised right heel) will disappear.

You also seem to me to have a timing/synchronisation issue. There is some hip turn (not a lot though) on the backswing, but the hips seem to return to 'square' way before they ought to and only start to open after you have hit the ball. In fact, the entire follow through looks quite 'contrived' - in 3 or 4 movements!

I'd suggest you check Pete Cowan's Spiral Staircase concept/drill to get the correct synchronisation of all the body parts - and driving it from the feet/ground up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkddJ3lTyz0

Oh, and give the ball a bit of a belt! Your 'smooth' is really just 'slow'. Think 'flow' and 'rhythm' rather than (the tension filled) smooth!

As an afterthought. Have you done some indoor practice? That (confined height) might have contributed to the overly flat swing - and the inside movement previously pointed out.

Last edited:
A

Alex1975

Alex.

Ignore the girlies fighting over S&T and get your weight off your toes! That'll mean that your right leg is a bit more bent (for Bob) and your (non S&T) weight transfer is better - into the right instep.

The old analogy of just perching your backside on a non-existent barstool would give more bend in the knees at setup and your weight would be further back. That should help both the right heel coming off the ground (a symptom of over-balance) and allow you to swing a bit steeper - which could be another compensation for your balance being too far forward. Alternatively (but a tad dangerously), you could concentrate on keeping that right heel on the ground and your balance mechanism will automatically adjust - the dangerous bit is that you may adjust by swaying, which ain't good either! So get the balance right and the symptom of the bad balance (the raised right heel) will disappear.

You also seem to me to have a timing/synchronisation issue. There is some hip turn (not a lot though) on the backswing, but the hips seem to return to 'square' way before they ought to and only start to open after you have hit the ball. In fact, the entire follow through looks quite 'contrived' - in 3 or 4 movements!

I'd suggest you check Pete Cowan's Spiral Staircase concept/drill to get the correct synchronisation of all the body parts - and driving it from the feet/ground up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkddJ3lTyz0

Oh, and give the ball a bit of a belt! Your 'smooth' is really just 'slow'. Think 'flow' and 'rhythm' rather than (the tension filled) smooth!

As an afterthought. Have you done some indoor practice? That (confined height) might have contributed to the overly flat swing - and the inside movement previously pointed out.

Thanks for this, some of my old faults are sway and leaving my weight behind thus flicking at the ball so you have kinda hit the heart of the matter. I have this way of contriving things and fooling myself into thinking I have sorted them so back to it. I shall try to move the weight off my toes and take it from there.

Is there any good stuff in here?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Is there any good stuff in here?

Oh Yes! Plenty! (Sorry, I tend to concentrate on the bad). And you do finish pretty well - if a little contrived..

And the hands at the top are not too flat - pretty much perfect for that swing. They'll change naturally if you get steeper, so don't worry about them.

As for the balance, I have a couple of inflatable pillow type aids that demonstrated how much my weight was moving onto my toes during the downswing. An OTT swing was pretty much guaranteed!

In several of the Mark Crossman videos they are the round blue objects on the floor behind him (when he swings). I cannot recommend those too highly. Great for getting the putting action right too!

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ignore the girlies fighting over S&T

If I see someone considering S&T for reasons I don't agree with I WILL speak up.
If you don't like my PROFESSIONAL opinion then block me and you wont have to read it.
Ive got no problem with people who make an informed decision to change to S&T and it helps them but I'm just here to balance out that argument.
And as for the spiral staircase drill.....I think that is some of the worse advice you can give to a handicap golfer

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you don't like my PROFESSIONAL opinion then block me and you wont have to read it.
Ive got no problem with people who make an informed decision to change to S&T and it helps them but I'm just here to balance out that argument.
And as for the spiral staircase drill.....I think that is some of the worse advice you can give to a handicap golfer

Bob. I'm most definitely interested in your Professional opinion. As such, can you explain you abhorrence of the Spiral Staircase Drill (for handicap golfers)? And is it OK for professionals? If so, where is the cross-over?

I've seen a considerable number of golfers who have distinct S&T elements who have no idea that they are S&T-ish (or what S&T is). I'm not sure 'balance out that argument' is the most appropriate phrase. BTW: I'm an S&T sceptic (it's no good for me!), so no need to preach to me!

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The spiral staircase drill is ok for those who know about the swing. Those who don't just try and turn the lower half and the shoulders follow. Perfect you say, but the shoulders shouldn't.
Try this....
Swing to the top of your backswing and stop. Then without moving anything in the upper body, turn your lower half. Your shoulders will follow and throw the club to the outside.
If the drill is used under supervision to check the shoulders don't follow the hips then the drill is ok.
Sadly, I have seen so many self taught golfers starting the downswing from the bottom-up and then they wonder why they pull/hook/slice all day.
If the hips turn first, then the middle of the body, and then shoulders last, the golfer should get back to impact with the left side cleared out of the way but the shoulders still square to deliver the club on target.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The spiral staircase drill is ok for those who know about the swing. Those who don't just try and turn the lower half and the shoulders follow. Perfect you say, but the shoulders shouldn't.
Try this....
Swing to the top of your backswing and stop. Then without moving anything in the upper body, turn your lower half. Your shoulders will follow and throw the club to the outside.
If the drill is used under supervision to check the shoulders don't follow the hips then the drill is ok.
Sadly, I have seen so many self taught golfers starting the downswing from the bottom-up and then they wonder why they pull/hook/slice all day.
If the hips turn first, then the middle of the body, and then shoulders last, the golfer should get back to impact with the left side cleared out of the way but the shoulders still square to deliver the club on target.

Interesting.....

I happen to loathe that 'drill' aswell, if you can call it one. I believe that it actually promotes a swing that is waaaay too upright whereby people are so preoccupied with coiling themselves they practically stand up straight to do so. The swing then becomes a weak spin and often shank city as the hands are thrown to the outside.

Either way it's a rubbish concept. Learning the entire S&T swing would be a far better erm, drill :whistle:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I just like the way Bob replies to every one of them with... "It looks a bit S&T to me......"

it's like striking a match over a can of fuel..... oh, hang on..... sorry Alex :mad:

:clap::clap:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Well bugga me! My balance mechanism adjusted - I tried it on my 'balloons' and stayed upright! Shoulders and upper body did follow the hips slightly (I'm not very flexible) but I don't think sufficiently to deride the concept. Happy to consider it 'potentially dangerous' though.

And I did notice that it's almost impossible to not use my legs (well, the right one) at an early stage to get my hips turning. The big thigh/calf muscles are rather better placed/more powerful at that stage of my swing than my abs!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Alex.

Your swing is nearly there and I agree with some of the comments already made. Here are my comments:

You take the club away too much to the inside. try keeping the clubhead just outside your hands to the halfway back position. This should get you better on plane at the top.

You do get your right foot off the ground before you get to the top which indicates a lack of weight shift. I woud like to see a vid from front on as I suspect you are creating a reverse pivot.

You start the club down well and get it nicely in line with your right forearm at the halfway position which is a good indicator that you are swinging from the inside.

Your hips are very static into and past impact. If you look at your impact position you are almost in the same position you had at address. Again it would be good to see from the front. Try to get your left hip turning back and up much earlier as your weight gets your left knee more over your left foot. You do get your weight over and hips through but much too late in the contrived way FH suggested. If you get your left pivot working better this will happen naturally.

You have the right ingredients to make the cake but you need to put them in the correct order to get the best mix.

Well done on the progress.

Last edited: