My swing - Tips please

S

Snelly

My tips would be to:

Try and get your full swing in the camera frame.
Perhaps learn to play right handed and not left? Just looks all wrong. :rofl:

Other than that, swing looks okay. Quite nice, a bit quick maybe. Slight overswing too. Generally a good effort though.

Looking forward what the 15-28 handicap swing analysts say as ever. Usually good for a laugh!

Also looking forward to the real experts hinting that no-one should comment on other people's swings unless they are a pro or a teacher.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would ask you to spin the club on the mat over so the head of the club is on the inside. You must be close to hitting it.
Secondly, how's the fade?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a lefty too, but it does look strange seeing one swing. Kept thinking the ball was going to hit the camera.
No comment on the swing. Bob the guru is here now.

matts1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went to the range last night and dam it was cold but concentrated on moving my hips more and trying to transfer the weight in the swing. Worked well seemed to be hitting it a lot cleaner and with very little effort it was going further. Also picked up a tip yesterday watching Mark Crossfield on youtube of having my forward leg (right) open slightly to encourage me to open my body after hitting the ball. This also seemed to work. Just need to keep on practicing.

matts1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't have one at the minute, not a member at a club yet. I am scoring low 100's consecutively at the minute with a couple of high 90's. Planning to join a club in the next few months.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You appear to have a strong grip, move your lower hand round a bit more on top of the club.

And a bit of over swing as well. With a straight (not tense) arm, swing back and when your shoulder comes under your chin stop going back. Thats what my pro taught me and it helps to keep the swing tighter and more compact.

matts1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My irons seemed to have got a lot better over the past 2 week. However my driver has go worse. I am left handed and the ball seems to start going straight then drift off left quite a lot. Would this indicate that I am swinging out to in?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My irons seemed to have got a lot better over the past 2 week. However my driver has go worse. I am left handed and the ball seems to start going straight then drift off left quite a lot. Would this indicate that I am swinging out to in?

(popcorn machine plugged in..............)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The ball will start (roughly) where the clubface is pointing when it strikes the ball.
The curve on the ball is determined by the swing path relative to the face angle.

In your situation it would suggest that at impact the face is pointing straight, but the path is slightly to the right of that.

I'm not sure if it necessarily means you have an out to in swing, just that that is what is happening at impact.
The club has to move in to out somewhere on the way down (since it starts the downswing behind your head and the ball is in front of you) but it swings in an arc so your impact position is after the far point of that arc so it's on the way back to the inside.

With the ball position further forward than with your irons, and possibly you trying to give it a little bit more or 'help' it up in the air it's possible you're a bit on your back foot at impact, which moves your swing arc (and thus the far point of it) towards your left foot.

I'll leave the cure (or a better explanation) to someone who knows more than me.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
^
Is the right answer.

Having the ball forward in your stance with a driver means that the club starts returning to the inside at impact, so you'd likely be out-to-in at impact but not necessarily in your swing. Having the ball TOO far forward or your weight too far back will exaggerate the out-to-in.

As a lefty you need to try and swing a little more left (out) with the driver to match the swingpath more with the club face. It sounds counter intuitive to swing left to stop it going left but that's just the way it is :)