My Swing Speed Journey

stevied

Visit site
Really interesting thread , I am on week 5 of super speed and I'm definitely seeing improvement. Some ways behind you but really enjoying it. Currently around 95 with the driver and hopefully will get to 100 to 105 range.
30 mins 3 x a week is easy.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Really interesting thread , I am on week 5 of super speed and I'm definitely seeing improvement. Some ways behind you but really enjoying it. Currently around 95 with the driver and hopefully will get to 100 to 105 range.
30 mins 3 x a week is easy.
Yes, I have to say that 3 workouts per week is very easy to fit in, probably takes me 20-30 minutes total with my warm up - it definitely feels like a good workout.

I hit a couple of really big tee shots on the weekend - and it felt nice and effortless.

stevied

Visit site
Yes, I have to say that 3 workouts per week is very easy to fit in, probably takes me 20-30 minutes total with my warm up - it definitely feels like a good workout.

I hit a couple of really big tee shots on the weekend - and it felt nice and effortless.
I went out yesterday for a few holes and was surprised at where a couple of drives got too. This is with zero roll out as well. I cannot wait for the good weather .

stevied

Visit site

I've finished level 1 and am at 106 mph so far. Level 2 brings the stomp drill ! Even after the first 5 weeks I am seeing improvement through out the bag.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Now onto the level 3 training program. Progress has been up and down, definitely noticing a difference when I'm doing the training after a bad nights sleep or when I haven't eaten quite right. The weather is playing a part too, cold nights have a big impact on my speed (as to be expected).

I'm away for a week from 17th Feb so I'm currently cramming sessions in every other day - which is also impacting my rest period but I think the weeks rest could see my numbers move onto the next level - here's hoping.

Anyway, I just plotted every single session into excel so I can get an overall picture of my progress, quite interesting to see

Screenshot-2024-02-07-184624.png

stevied

Visit site
Nice going , I did day 1 of super speed level 2 yesterday and hit 109. I've also found it's a bit up and down, but the overall trend is up so far !

cunnini

Visit site
Deano - what is that data point, fastest, average, potential?

i've slightly injured my right wrist, and i've a knockout match Saturday so I'm resting (except Saturday) for a week to see how it heals....

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Deano - what is that data point, fastest, average, potential?

i've slightly injured my right wrist, and i've a knockout match Saturday so I'm resting (except Saturday) for a week to see how it heals....
Ah, sorry, I didn't explain that.

These are my baseline numbers at the end of each session, so the average from my 5 swings.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I haven’t read much of this, but what about accuracy ?
Not meaning to be funny, but I could swing my club a lot faster but I wouldn’t be able to control/feel where the club face is.
So has does increasing your swing speed correlate between more distance without sacrificing accuracy

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I haven’t read much of this, but what about accuracy ?
Not meaning to be funny, but I could swing my club a lot faster but I wouldn’t be able to control/feel where the club face is.
So has does increasing your swing speed correlate between more distance without sacrificing accuracy
It's a very valid question. I'm actually only swinging my driver at around 100-102, up from around the 95mph range so I'm not swinging out of my socks with a ball there.

Accuracy wise though, I've not noticed a difference. I am working on my swing in general too, which has been massively helping my game and I think even if the accuracy went badly, eventually my body would naturally work it all out.

I will try and hit the range at some point soon to get some more detailed readings hitting actual balls.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a very valid question. I'm actually only swinging my driver at around 100-102, up from around the 95mph range so I'm not swinging out of my socks with a ball there.

Accuracy wise though, I've not noticed a difference. I am working on my swing in general too, which has been massively helping my game and I think even if the accuracy went badly, eventually my body would naturally work it all out.

I will try and hit the range at some point soon to get some more detailed readings hitting actual balls.
Are you doing any weight training to try and build strength for helping your swing speed?

cunnini

Visit site
i've found my driving accuracy has increased..... but i've a theory for that.

I tend to do my stack work at the range, i warm up, then hit few wedges, mid irons, long irons and couple of 3 woods and drivers. i then do the Stack workout, and then i'll hit 10-12 drivers (using Top Tracer long drive). I log into a spreadsheet my long drive data, and track that (ignoring my single best and single worst data points)

My theory is i'm just hitting a lot more drives and so the strength work gained together with more drives hit is also improving technique

I'm early days on stack, just having done 11 of 18 stages of the foundation level, but clubhead speed is up from averaging 93/94 before starting to averaging around 98.5 now.

I'm having a week break as i've slightly sprained/twinged my right wrist, and if all ok will pick up again in a week.

Another side effect of the stack is i feel so much more confident with my driver

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played at Woburn today and hit 10 balls at the end of my warm up with my driver, measuring the shots. Slowest was 98 and quickest was 104, all felt controlled and all within a reasonable dispersion.

These were the best three.

20240210-160149.jpg

20240210-160155.jpg

20240210-160200.jpg

Very happy with those results!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Finished the first programme on Stack and a few sessions into the second one. Hard to say.

My own case : Was getting real with-ball range speed 99-101 (session average from at least 20 balls) before starting Stack. Increased 1mph per month through 2023 just pushing for speed and trying to hit records with the driver, in no systematic way, for individual club speed, ball speed, and average for a session and had reached that from 90-91. Certainly ups and downs between days, and I cannot fathom the reason for it. For instance in December, some days averaging 101 and would have some shots at 102-104. A few days later struggling to hold average 99 and couldnt get a single ball above 101. This was a syndrome at all stages from the start of my speed push last spring. Tiredness, energy, time of day, temperature, warmed up or not - no pattern that I can find. Nevertheless, the overall picture is a consistent upward trend by all measures.

Stack reporting an increase from 87 to 90 over the five weeks of the 1st programme. Thats with its 195g setup, and so add 10mph to get real driver speed. Comparing real driver mid December to real driver over the last fortnight, I am not getting real world increase of 3. But am getting 1 or fraction more. A couple of sessions averaging 102mph, and a few more of the rare swings at 103,104,105. But they are still rare, and some days I cant put a 103 no matter what.
Bottom line is I probably still gained a mpg or a little more since Christmas. In the same range I was getting with the driver only training, no app, or method, other than 30-40 balls twice a week pushing for distance with no regard for direction. Happy - still trending up, and havent hit a ceiling yet. Was hoping Stack might have given more than I feel I was getting anyway or unlocked some step change. But no. Still, optimistic to be an iron longer this summer than last year for a given hole, between driver and iron gain. Keen now to see if that translates to scores reduction.

A few general observations :
Stack app estimate of totally distance seems ridiculous. For an 97mph swing it gives 268 total. Maybe that is on US desert courses, or links here in a dry summer. 101 it gives 281. No chance. My PRGR, a friends SC300, pro's GC3, all give those 100-101 hits at 250 something total, and seem more realistic.

PRGR definitely gives higher values with the driver and no ball than with ball for me. Can get more 104-105s on air swings, and have 106 and have a lone 107 which I have never managed with ball. I am guessing it is because it catches a top speed that is not reached when the club is slowed by impact with a ball. Top club speed maybe happens about where the ball is, or maybe just after, and so ball knocks it back 3-4mph.

I have seen the same increase with all clubs roughly proportionately to length I would say : Old figures from a year ago for 7 iron were 77-78mph before I really started trying to swing faster, now a comfortable 84/85, and can push 86, and rare 87.