My Swing - Liam_Austin

Liam_Austin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Now that I have finally returned to grace the forum I thought it was time to put my swing up.

I play of a 18 handicap, however the last 5 rounds I have shot 9 - 14 over due to my Putting gradually getting better.

With the Driver I am normally a straight hitter of the ball / Draw, hitting around 10/14 fairways in a round. My bad shots with the driver are the Duck Hook, or the push right.

Driver Swing, Face On.

Driver Down The Line.

My Irons are normally the weak point in my game along with putting due to incredible inconsistency. Although I dont stuggle as much with the longer irons from 6 - 4, anything less than 6 becomes a wild affair with shots going left, right, high and low.

7 Iron Down the Line.
7 Iron Face On.

So then, It's over to the forum and the expert for some advice for some advice. P.s, Sorry about the Darkness on some of the vid's, wasn't entirely sure how to change the Brightness.

Liam_Austin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just a few things I forgot to add,

1) I have had 1 lesson in my whole life, and have taught myself to swing from magazines, articles and the forum.

2) A word on ball flight, the ball flight with my driver is naturally very, very high, with lots of carry and minimal roll, whereas compared to many of my friends I get no-where near as much height with my irons.

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks like a good swing Liam, especially if you have taught yourself. Couldn't see the down the line driver but down the line 7 iron looks good.
I am certainly no pro so won't attempt to point out faults or how to fix them. But if you are hitting that many fairways then it can't be bad. Hopefully you can pick up some good advice on here - I certainly have.

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
How refreshing to see a teenager able to string a proper sentence together. Punctuation et al. Your swing looks pretty good to me as well Liam, however, I am certainly no expert.

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
Liam

Lots of great things going in your swing
Many good basics

The one thing that I would highlight and suggest that you work on is your weight transfer in your golf swing.

You will notice that you start with 60% of your weight on your left hand side at address and this doesn;t really change when you get the club to the top of the backswing

Ideally you should have 60% of your weight on your RIGHT hand side at the set up position. The reason is because your right hand is below your left on the grip and your right shoulder is slightly below your left,
At the top of the swing I like my players to have 65/70% of their weight on their rightside at the top of the swing

This will mean you will have plenty of room to swing through to a quality finish position

Weight transfer is vital in the golf swing to create power, get the club into the ball online and also to strike the ball correctly

It is no surprise that you struggle with your irons as the lack of weight transfer will mean that you have an extremely inconsistent impact position

Try this
Hit balls/make lots of practice swings with a prolonged pause at the top of the swing. AT the top develop awareness of where your weight is relative to where it was at address.

This may well feel like a sway to start with, but as long as your bottom half stays steady do not worry, this is a normal feeling when your weight doesn't move in the correct direction.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on

Neil Plimmer

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Liam

Lots of great things going in your swing
Many good basics

The one thing that I would highlight and suggest that you work on is your weight transfer in your golf swing.

You will notice that you start with 60% of your weight on your left hand side at address and this doesn;t really change when you get the club to the top of the backswing

Ideally you should have 60% of your weight on your RIGHT hand side at the set up position. The reason is because your right hand is below your left on the grip and your right shoulder is slightly below your left,
At the top of the swing I like my players to have 65/70% of their weight on their rightside at the top of the swing

This will mean you will have plenty of room to swing through to a quality finish position

Weight transfer is vital in the golf swing to create power, get the club into the ball online and also to strike the ball correctly

It is no surprise that you struggle with your irons as the lack of weight transfer will mean that you have an extremely inconsistent impact position

Try this
Hit balls/make lots of practice swings with a prolonged pause at the top of the swing. AT the top develop awareness of where your weight is relative to where it was at address.

This may well feel like a sway to start with, but as long as your bottom half stays steady do not worry, this is a normal feeling when your weight doesn't move in the correct direction.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on

Neil Plimmer

Neil, perhaps he working on the stack and tilt lol

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Liam - pretty solid stuff and definitely a swing of someone who will play a lot lower than 18. Have a go at Neil's recommendations and see how it goes. You're still welcome to have a knock round Ascot when you fancy it.