My Swing Feb' 2013

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
so are you saying that my clubhead isnt going left too quickly ? foxholer mentioned this in his post and i noticed it but wasn't sure

Nope, it's perfect. It's MEANT to look like that.

A really extreme example of doing it properly is Carl Petterson. Through impact he practically looks like he should be slicing it but actually hits a gorgeous draw at will.

Not that I want to put things into your head but watch this video.... (so when someone questions your swing you can tell them where to go!!)
He basically has high hands in the backswing (2-plane) then brings the hands close on the downswing, the grip exits left whilst he is able to put the clubhead into the ball from the inside... the impact is awesome so turn your sound up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp-rzgH4UAE

And here is the same shot (analysed) again in slow motion, see how he gets the club to lay down in transition back onto plane even though you might think he's over the top... he then turns the grip big time left... gorgeous!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSjszPydAg0

I wouldn't suggest copying what he does as he's right at the far end of where you are... but the same principle.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you have the club too close to your thighs at address there's nowhere for them to swing on the way down, also if your bum is moving towards the ball on the downswing it pushes your hands out and you have to steepen the club.

Best thing is to make sure you turn your right hip behind you as this creates some space for your hands to swing (both back and down) without your right hip being in the way on the way down.

[video=youtube;WvOr5nNqYEw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvOr5nNqYEw[/video]

You have NO hip turn.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Just a stock answer Bob for everyone's benefit

He has no hip turn, I pointed that out. The right hip will work outwards on the downswing as it never went backwards. Without any hip turn on the backswing the tendency is to throw the club to the outside on the downswing as the hips begin to turn on the downswing.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
If you're not shanking anymore then it's perfect! :D

I had the shanks tonight for the first time in 13yrs.... nearly snapped my clubs!!! LOLOLOL

Subs are up for renewal in 3 weeks... I had to think hard about it :D:D

Normally it's just a timing or set up thing (ball too far back or shoulders open or something like that), it's only when you're totally plagued with them that you have to look long and hard at what's going on. I was actually standing too far from the ball then swinging 'out' to it too much.

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
^
^
If you're not shanking anymore then it's perfect! :D

I had the shanks tonight for the first time in 13yrs.... nearly snapped my clubs!!! LOLOLOL

Subs are up for renewal in 3 weeks... I had to think hard about it :D:D

Normally it's just a timing or set up thing (ball too far back or shoulders open or something like that), it's only when you're totally plagued with them that you have to look long and hard at what's going on. I was actually standing too far from the ball then swinging 'out' to it too much.

haha i know how you feel - this is the first time i've ever experienced them and i never want them again ! went to the range and was shanking about 1/4,which got me rattled, but at the end of the range session it improved, no shanks. then played 9 holes and not one shank, played very nicely.

it is strange though, when hitting on mats i tend to shank the ball more frequently, yet when playing on the course/grass i rarely every do it !

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
haha i know how you feel - this is the first time i've ever experienced them and i never want them again ! went to the range and was shanking about 1/4,which got me rattled, but at the end of the range session it improved, no shanks. then played 9 holes and not one shank, played very nicely.

it is strange though, when hitting on mats i tend to shank the ball more frequently, yet when playing on the course/grass i rarely every do it !

im the same. about from a serious bout of them last summer i very rarely if ever hit them on the grass. *touches wood

on the mats i can hit them quite often.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
so are you saying that my clubhead isnt going left too quickly ? foxholer mentioned this in his post and i noticed it but wasn't sure

Does indeed look a good swing. Pretty steep still, but that's no bad thing for a tall person.

Whatever made clubhead look like it was going left in the first video has disappeared in the second. So probably was camera angle - as per the 'disclaimer'. Spine angle 'issue' also gone (head doesn't lift). Club looks much more under control at the top. Right arm (elbow) could be marginally closer to the body, but that's nit-picking and the down/through-swing works so no change required imo. Go practice your short game!

Are you still growing? If so, I believe that's going to be the major factor in any issues you have or changes that need to be made.

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
Does indeed look a good swing. Pretty steep still, but that's no bad thing for a tall person.

Whatever made clubhead look like it was going left in the first video has disappeared in the second. So probably was camera angle - as per the 'disclaimer'. Spine angle 'issue' also gone (head doesn't lift). Club looks much more under control at the top. Right arm (elbow) could be marginally closer to the body, but that's nit-picking and the down/through-swing works so no change required imo. Go practice your short game!

Are you still growing? If so, I believe that's going to be the major factor in any issues you have or changes that need to be made.

thanks ! and yes i'm still growing :( nearly 6ft 4 now

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Very good action, definitely not one of a 14 handicap golfer. I'm sure that target of 7 will be achieved with a little work on the short game. Good luck & keep us posted.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I see some lovely positions throughout the swing...especially coming into impact. But if the ball is going that far right it can only mean a severe in to out swing or/and an open club face.
And the swing looks fine to me.
If you look at the pic below you will see 2 things

Photo1fgb.jpg

1. Your right arm has bent on the first part of the backswing
2. The club face is open compared to your spine angle (yellow line)

Compare with Tiger where his right arm stays straight much longer and his club face is square to his spine angle.
In my opinion, that is why you block it sometimes, the club face is still open at impact.

Drill.
Try and feel your right thumb stays on top of the grip throughout the swing and dont let it slip down the right side of the grip and try and keep the right arm straight for longer on the backswing