My Swing - advice on stopping the dreaded slice!!

sambora666

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi,

Played today and was +14, have got a slice and divots are always left of the target.

I have slowed down my swing for all comments....

I am deliberatley aiming left of the green to allow for the slice :-(
swing here

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are coming over the top and the club is taking a out-to-in path through impact.

When you are next down the range try and hit every ball out to the right. Its tedious and you wont strike the ball very well to start with but do that often enough and you start to see what you need to do to get the club working from the inside.

A pro taught me this and its a simple and effective drill to get rid of slicing.

Also I find it helps to let the left arm do most of the work in the swing. Sometimes my right arm (and shoulder) overpowers the left and I do the same as you.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The most obvious reason why you'd be slicing is your coming from out to in on your swing path. So your always applying a spin on the ball which swings it off to the right.

What you need to do is work on getting a more neutral swing path, or even a in to out path.

I use to slice the ball for the exact same reason. I just went to the range and only tried to hit draws (swing path from in to out). That kinda educated me on what I was doing before. I now hardly ever slice the ball.

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
look at the loop at the start of the backswing which starts your downswing. I think that change of direction initiates your problem.
When you say your are aiming left of the target make sure you are changing your whole alignment and not just opening your stance to exagerate the problem.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
These guys above are all correct. Your swing isn't bad but it's clear to see the problem. I'd be looking to get a bit more upright on the way back and drop it inside on the way down. If you don't want to tweak your backswing, you'll have to train yourself to get in the slot and think about pushing the ball deliberately for a while.
I know which I'd do - it's going to be hard without sorting the backswing.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
The flat backswing doesn't cause the slice, the out to in downswing does.
It's ok to swing flat going back as long as you swing down the same way which would be in to out.

I agree. Would you say though that there are a lot of golfers that swing flat and then come over the top on the way down?

I always thought of this type of swing as the opposite of a good 2-plane swing that reverses (kind of :D) the two states....or maybe that's too simplistic.

Harrington always looked as if he was fairly upright, but dropped it down well. Anyone know if he has a stock shot? Matt Kuchar looks the opposite to me. He has the opposite to slicing, from what I hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdArYp77nlA

sambora666

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice chaps, off down the range tonight to try and sort it.

One question when you say I have a flat swing? what exactly do you mean?

Thanks

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice chaps, off down the range tonight to try and sort it.

One question when you say I have a flat swing? what exactly do you mean?

Thanks

Dont worry about it.
Use the 3 ball drill but use 2 headcovers instead.
Your swing is good and doesn';t need major surgery. Just get the direction into the ball a bit straighter and you'll be fine.