My journey to scratch!!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It may be narcissistic, but it all depends on how the content is produced imo.

Just look on youtube. Packed with guys in their 30s and 40s, with some who make a living of it, some more successful than others, by putting out videos when they're basically out doing the exact same things as we do every single week. Why people are interested in it? Do not know. I know that I'm watching a hell of a lot of golfers on youtube though. :)

If I had the means and time, I think I actually could consider doing the same thing. One part probably some sort of vanity, but it would also be to hold myself accountable and to make sure that I stuck with the plan to reach my goal. You may not reach the goal, but as long as you've stuck with the plan, no shame. I don't know how many plans I've written down for my own golf on how to improve, just to wake up in the morning and go "nah, tomorrow", and that's that plan gone.

But again, having said all this - I'm not starting my own youtube channel for people to follow my journey to scratch. :)

when its comes to dropping the C bomb in either English or Swedish you're a +10 handicap mate

sunshine

Visit site
It may be narcissistic,

Well that’s the key.

Many people trying to promote their Instagram are shallow individuals with a goal of being an “influencer” so they can get free stuff. The content is inane and irrelevant, it’s just a series of product placement advertising and shout outs to my sponsors.
#blessed

D

Deleted member 16999

Whilst I'm on this... ?

Let's say someone came on here and asked: "how do I get to play in League Two, I currently play Sunday League".

What would the realistic answers be?
Train harder
Train more
Get coaching
Get fitter, faster, stronger
What is your actual talent level now?
Get better technique in everything you do
Train more
Train better
You need to be putting in the hours of dedicated training
Etc etc etc...

I doubt I'd see "watch this or that video online. It didn't work for me but I'm advising it for you".

Anyway, I'm off to the range. It's nowhere near "fun" I hate having to practice so much, but I have goals which only hard work will help me reach. Unsurprisingly, it won't be on Instagram ?.
Are you more of a Facebook guy?:devilish:

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
Best of luck and you do have some elements in your favour though I’d guess most scratch players started as juniors. I’d suggest
  • Practicing 70% of your time and focus on your short game
  • Probably two lesson every week from a Pro who believes you can do it
  • Ban yourself from youtube videos – they clutter your mind
  • Fitness training based upon developing speed for distance
Also, listen to the Chasing Scratch podcasts. They set the same target as you so you may be able to learn from them

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Whilst I'm on this... ?

Let's say someone came on here and asked: "how do I get to play in League Two, I currently play Sunday League".

Train harder
Train more
Get coaching
Train more
Train better
Etc etc etc...

I doubt I'd see "watch this or that video online. It didn't work for me but I'm advising it for you".

Anyway, I'm off to the range. It's nowhere near "fun" I hate having to practice so much, but I have goals which only hard work will help me reach. Unsurprisingly, it won't be on Instagram ?.

You are correct of course... and doing all of that is required...

...as well as something called "sufficient talent!" I am still wondering where that blog is!

D

Deleted member 15344

welcome to the forum , hopefully you stick around

Unfortunately you have started off with a subject that many have seen on here and from what i recall no one has achieved it yet

Some do seem to get a touch offended by someone attempting the challenge

But good luck - regardless of how much time you have or how many lessons you have there will be imo only one thing that will allow you to reach scratch - natural ability of a high level for golf

Many people have goals and targets and very rarely many don’t reach them because they just don’t have that level of ability to reach their said target

What I will say is - golf is a great sport and hopefully throughout your attempt you still keep that enjoyment level there and it doesn’t become a chore for you. It would be nice to see someone actually reach scratch but it’s a heck a challenge - for many they can’t even reach single figures , a very small amount only reach cat 1 and even smaller reach scratch

But good luck and hope you keep us updated

AliMc

Visit site
welcome to the forum , hopefully you stick around

Unfortunately you have started off with a subject that many have seen on here and from what i recall no one has achieved it yet

Some do seem to get a touch offended by someone attempting the challenge

But good luck - regardless of how much time you have or how many lessons you have there will be imo only one thing that will allow you to reach scratch - natural ability of a high level for golf

Many people have goals and targets and very rarely many don’t reach them because they just don’t have that level of ability to reach their said target

What I will say is - golf is a great sport and hopefully throughout your attempt you still keep that enjoyment level there and it doesn’t become a chore for you. It would be nice to see someone actually reach scratch but it’s a heck a challenge - for many they can’t even reach single figures , a very small amount only reach cat 1 and even smaller reach scratch

But good luck and hope you keep us updated
Yeah good luck from me too, it's tough
We had a guy joined us from another club, off 7, got down to 2, done very well to do so, stated aim to get to scratch, done the lot I think, lessons, coaching, etc
Really nice bloke, but tbh just doesn't strike me as a scratch golfer, but hope he keeps trying and maybe it will happen for him.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would say just keep doing what you are doing.
Set small targets like.....
Try and break 75
Try and keep a 6 off your card
Have no 3 putts in a round
Then work on your weaknesses....
driving, pitching, putting etc
Most of all, you MUST enjoy practicing because you will be doing lots of it, just to get to cat I never mind scratch.
It's not impossible but if it stops being fun, forget it.
Good luck.
Ps It was Michael Aspel who did This is your life.
Thought you would remember Eamon Andrew!!!!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Whilst I'm on this... ?

Train harder
Train more
Get coaching
Train more
Train better
Etc etc etc...

Scratch golf isn't even remotely equivalent to League 2 football. It's more like step none league step 6 or 7.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Its the same in any sport.. the gap in steps is enormous. Decent analogy in my view. Doing all the right stuff will get you as far as your talent and physiology allows.

Mate of mine was scratch at 15. Left school to see how far his game would take him. It didn't take him much further!

But he had a decent career in FS and enjoyed several decades playing County Golf!

The only thing wrong with the thread title is the use of the definitive destination, when it is probably more an aspiration.

That said, neither of these is guaranteed success or failure, if you see what I mean.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am sure the OP will realise the can of worms his post has opened. I have no qualms about anybody coming here and saying that is their aim. Why not aim big. If they are going to chart the progress on social medial then that content needs to be innovative and interesting and that can take time on its own to do so could be a distraction

NeilG

Visit site
Wishing you the very best of luck.
I believe that these things are about the journey and not the destination. Hope you enjoy the ride and everything you experience and learn.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good luck on your quest it’s 100% possible.

The problem is on here you can’t win
If you don’t succeed people will say I told you so , and if you succeed some will say, someone has to.
Enjoy the journey,it will take time,beat you up mentally and physically but the mind is powerful, be positive it can be done.