My journey to scratch!!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wrong.
Completely wrong.
League 2 has 3 leagues above it, let's average that at 20 players at 20 teams in each league, so 400 x 3 = 1200.

You're saying there are 1200 golfers better than those playing on the European Tour... ?
Genius.

If "scratch" isn't such a big deal, just describe how you got there.

I don’t think anyone here thinks getting to scratch isn’t a big deal.

However, I think league 2 is more like Europro tour or something than being a scratch golfer.

And that’s certainly not intended as an insult to scratch golfers, but equally the ability of a league 2 footballer should not be underestimated.

sunshine

Visit site
I don’t think anyone here thinks getting to scratch isn’t a big deal.

However, I think league 2 is more like Europro tour or something than being a scratch golfer.

And that’s certainly not intended as an insult to scratch golfers, but equally the ability of a league 2 footballer should not be underestimated.

It was just an analogy, I think we are being too analytical about it. But if we are going to do this...

Does a europro tour golfer have a world ranking? Probably in the top 1000?

A league 2 footballer is a good player but there are literally tens of thousands of better footballers around.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was just an analogy, I think we are being too analytical about it. But if we are going to do this...

Does a europro tour golfer have a world ranking? Probably in the top 1000?

A league 2 footballer is a good player but there are literally tens of thousands of better footballers around.

Relatively speaking so few people play golf it’s impossible to know what the rank of a Europro player would be if the same numbers played golf as play, and dedicate so much time to, football from such a young age. Not many talented footballers never get the chance to play football, I wonder how many incredible golfers never pick up a club? Inevitably a huge number.

Personally, I don’t think it’s a comparison that can be made and agree with you that the principle of Traminators point was clear enough (it’s hard...), but if others are going to argue about the relative ability of a league 2 football player and a scratch golfer I’ll give my opinion ?

4LEX

Visit site
Are you advising multiple personality disorder? Struggling to understand most of your post.

Each line was a different bit of advice.

In simpleton terms, WHEN playing with others - play with the better players. And WHEN you play on your own, play under comp conditions. Hope you can understand that :rolleyes:

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Relatively speaking so few people play golf it’s impossible to know what the rank of a Europro player would be if the same numbers played golf as play, and dedicate so much time to, football from such a young age. Not many talented footballers never get the chance to play football, I wonder how many incredible golfers never pick up a club? Inevitably a huge number.

Personally, I don’t think it’s a comparison that can be made and agree with you that the principle of Traminators point was clear enough (it’s hard...), but if others are going to argue about the relative ability of a league 2 football player and a scratch golfer I’ll give my opinion ?

The top 1000 golfer in the world is way better (equivalently) than someone who plays football for Accrington Stanley.....

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The top 1000 golfer in the world is way better (equivalently) than someone who plays football for Accrington Stanley.....

I don’t think so. But we don’t have to agree, that’s the joy of life.

And just in case you’re interested, the reason I think that is very few people play golf as kids compared to how many play football. If they did, a player ranked 1000th in the world at golf now would be lucky to be in the top 50,000.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not entirely following this argument but let me unhelpfully chip in the nugget that golf is a much more difficult game than football.... ;)

Football is a physically more demanding game, golf clearly more technical, and yes i agree far more difficult.

But football is a far shorter career because of the physical requirements

D

Deleted member 1147

I don’t think so. But we don’t have to agree, that’s the joy of life.

And just in case you’re interested, the reason I think that is very few people play golf as kids compared to how many play football. If they did, a player ranked 1000th in the world at golf now would be lucky to be in the top 50,000.
The 1,000th best footballer will likely play for a premier league, or Serie A, Bundesligue etc team, and be a very well known player.
The 1,000 best golfer is likely to be unknown to most golfers.
Bear in mind 20 teams per league, 20 odd players per squad in however many leagues.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What is more likely?

Zack reaching scratch or peter finch qualifying for the open?

Both on their individual journeys.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 1,000th best footballer will likely play for a premier league, or Serie A, Bundesligue etc team, and be a very well known player.
The 1,000 best golfer is likely to be unknown to most golfers.
Bear in mind 20 teams per league, 20 odd players per squad in however many leagues.

Of course, but they are simply not comparable. Hundreds of millions of kids play football across the world, hardly any play golf in comparison.

Even on a site like this packed full of golf enthusiasts, I would wager the majority took it up later in life (late teens, 20’s and beyond). Those that did take it up young are probably quite good, single figures.

I’m not doubting the skill and difficulty of making it to scratch, but I’m also not doubting the ability of league 2 footballers.

As another example, there were plenty of excellent footballers when I was at school. Kids that really stood out from the crowd. The furthest any of them got was non-league. And that was only one of them.

I know a couple of people that turned pro at golf. That’s not to belittle the achievement of turning pro, I’m very envious of any expert golfer, but equally, anyone that makes it to play professional football in league 2 has serious ability.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've said it before, but as its a similar thread, I'll air it out again. Most who take up golf later in life don't really want to be that good. Sounds silly, and people might say they want to be good, but based on their actions they don't, being good at something is a lot of effort, most people want to have fun. Same applies to most footballers since this thread has gone in that direction too, most Sunday league players fancy a kickabout then some beers with their mates, they might like the idea of a premiership salary but don't make any serious effort to move even a millimetre closer to one.

Yes golf has a talent ceiling, which will limit how good you can get, but very few are stopped because they have hit it, most plateau way before that level for many other reasons, including how much work they want to put in. Obviously higher level of talent can help in that you can get the same result for less work. If you really want it you'll put the right level of effort in, if you won't you might talk a good game, but that's all it will ever be.