my iron shots are driving me nuts

minigolfer

Club Champion
Visit site
my woods are fine they go 120 yrds and straight my putting is fine but my iron they go straight but they go 30 yrds while my friends are going 70+ we are all 13 and i am one of the strongest so what am i doing wrong any ideas would be greatfull and i will try to get a vid of my swing up but it may not happen

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Are you using a matching set and are they the right size for you (i.e. not full size). Also are they steel shafts and are your friends using graphite. It might be that the clubs are too heavy (steel is heavier than graphite obviously). Otherwise I wonder if its just a minor swing flaw, probably an overswong trying to keep up with your mates in which case I'd ask the pro or one of the assistants to have a quick look. Not sure it really helps but hope it gives you some pointers at least

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd like to be able to help, but t.b.h. I'm a bit distressed by these figures. What sort of irons are only going 30 yards or even 70 yards properly?
If you have a 3 wood, the minimum I'd expect would be 130 or so off a tee, maybe 150. Even with a slow swing, 100 yard irons with a 5 ought to be well possible.
First things first, as you get better you'll hit it further.
As you get bigger, you'll hit it further.
In my early days (fully grown) I started with using my 5 iron for 130 yard shots, and this went up by 5-10 yards monthly until I got to about 160-170.
Something is clearly not right.....perhaps persuade your parents to buy you a lesson or two, or enrol in some group lessons for juniors.
Other than that, I don't know really.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Also are they steel shafts and are your friends using graphite.

I know the lads only 13 Homer, but with 30 and 70 yard distances quoted, I would say his friends are using spaghetti shafts and he is using licorice.
Something else is wrong somewhere

theshrew

Medal Winner
Visit site
Little Fella there is a lot to be considered here.

A lot depends on your size and strength. Perhaps your mates are a fair big bigger and stronger than you.

Possibly your clubs are to heavy if your only small and your not getting enough club head speed.

Possibly something wrong with your swing. Have you ever had a lesson or anything ?

How do you strike the ball is that ok ?

I no this situation all to well i started playing when i was 11. I wasnt to bad as i was tall for my age and used to boom a ball miles. People like yourself always used to ask how i hit it so far. Simple fact was it was maily down to my size and strengh and all the practice i used to do.

Hitting it far doesnt mean anything mate. Id rather hit it short and where i wanted it to go than miles and spray em all over the show.

If your only going like 30yards something must be wrong. Although its hard to say without seeing you play.

Keep your chin up it will get better