My Grip

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd just like to ask the forum experts if my grip is weak, strong, or neutral, and any other problems if there are any there? Thanks.

Sorry for the rubbish quality pictures. I hope they are ok, they were done indoors with no flash on a phone.

118bd9c0.jpg

7c1cccc1.jpg

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would like to see some more knuckles on the left hand. It also looks palmsy, maybe get it more in your fingers.

My grip is 2 and the hint of a 3rd. That I am sure of

With the right hand you might need to get the grip more in your grove of the base of your fingers rather than on top as you are. I am less good with this hand :) (for the golf grip, other things the right is my preferred hand)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Need a decent pic, right hand looks a fraction strong, can't see enough of the left. Is that a baseball grip you're using?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Does look like a baseball grip. When i started playing everyone seemed to be taught the Vardon,(overlapping),grip. Notice a lot more have now changed to the Interlocking grip, including Casey. Jack Nicklaus of the older players did use this grip, but he said it was because he had small hands.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Looks fine to me.

Would only look to change it if it adversely affects your use of the levers of your arms and club efficiently and if you can't control the club and thus the golf shot.

The main points to look for are that the heel of the left hand is on top of the club and that the left thumb fits nicely into the palm and thumb pad of the right hand. As long as you have the freedom to create good angles between the arms and club without losing grip or control of the club, then it's fine.

Couple questions:

What shot shape do you predominantly have?

Are you shots low and powerful or high and weak?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's something I keep forgetting SB. Every now and then I remember and grip it more in the fingers but I soon slip back. I grew up gripping in my hands with both thumbs pointing straight down the shaft. My thumbs, or where my hands are now comes naturally, but I do slip back into holding it more in my palms than fingers. Thanks for pointing it out.

It's an overlapping grip.

As for new grips required!!???!!! Hmmpphhh. :mad: ;) ;)

What shot shape do you predominantly have?
I don't think I have a predominant shape. I try to hit the ball straight. Sometimes it fades, sometimes it draws. My bad shot is a big push slice, but it only happens with woods and long irons.

Are you shots low and powerful or high and weak?
I generally hit the ball low imo compared to the people I play with.

I played yesterday with a new driver. It looks closed to me at address even though it is allegedly 0.5deg open as standard and I also have it adjusted more open.
I let it settle just letting the grip rest on my left palm, then take my grip. Perhaps I should take my grip holding the face what appears to me to be square?

Most of my shots with it were draws. Some up to 5yds and some 10-15yds. Most of them started slightly to the left of where I was aiming, which makes me think my swing is the same as normal but the face is closed at impact.

This is the reason I wanted to check my grip before I start to think about anything else.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No dress code in your house then ?? Jeans and trainers :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Definitely!

I hate wearing trousers and shoes.
I would play golf in my jeans if it were allowed.
I made it a condition when they moved me to the offices at work.

Doesn't make me a bad person :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It also looks palmsy, maybe get it more in your fingers.

When I replicated the grip it felt like something I would chip with rather than hit full shots.

I guess your shot shape is not bad, your grip and stance suggest you hit it OK. You are standing open, do you come on the inside well? Does the stance compensate for the grip pulling you in tight?

I may be well off with this but from replicating the grip that is how I would feel.

Also interlocking with your grip is a lot more secure than overlapping!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wasn't standing as if I was going to hit a shot, it was purely to show the grip.

I briefly tried interlocking and hated how it felt so didn't pursue it.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I played yesterday with a new driver. It looks closed to me at address even though it is allegedly 0.5deg open as standard and I also have it adjusted more open.
I let it settle just letting the grip rest on my left palm, then take my grip. Perhaps I should take my grip holding the face what appears to me to be square?

Didn't you have the same problem with the FTiQ?

The clubface will look closed if you set up with the hands too far back, the clubhead too far forward, the 'toe end up' or (as you say) if you let the clubface settle on the ground and it happens to roll closed... most tend to roll open though.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Didn't you have the same problem with the FTiQ?

The clubface will look closed if you set up with the hands too far back, the clubhead too far forward, the 'toe end up' or (as you say) if you let the clubface settle on the ground and it happens to roll closed... most tend to roll open though.

Good memory. Yeah I thought the FTiQ looked like I was going to hit the ball into my left ankle

I'm going to play about with it trying to get the face looking square to me, and see what happens.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
On the left is Dustin Johnson, on the right is some numpty golf instructor...

pos.gif

As you can see the instructor has the ball so far forward the clubface will already be pointing left, if he doesn't roll the clubface open on the takeaway he'll be hitting 3 off the tee!

Dustin Johnson has the grip of the club and his hands ahead of the ball, the clubface open to add loft so he can just rip it and still get it in the air.... just like me! ;)

Many ways to skin a cat, you just need to find the one that is right for you.