My golf grip with images

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi folks, please see my new golf grip that seems to be working and preventing my slight hook

Happier with the right hand now, left hand still weak in comparison but this gives me the straightest shots

Any comments ?

Attachments

• P1000447.jpg
    P1000447.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 129
  • P1000448.jpg
    P1000448.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 153
D

Deleted Member 1156

Agree that left hand is a bit weak.

Guess you have 2 options if your problem is a hook.

1) Sort out the issue that is causing it so you can revert back to a more neutral grip

or

2) Keep your grip as it is if it prevents the hook.

There is an abundance of top players that have played with a far from correct grip without it causing any problems and to be honest, yours isn't all that far away from being pretty good.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks guys for the feedback, i am happy with the feel now took a few balls to get comfortable

I am able to put some speed into my swing yet still fly it straighter

For along time my right hand was too far under the club and my left hand was a 2 to 3 knuckle grip

As my swing became more inside to out i started to hook, so better path but wrong grip hence the change

Thanks Bob and Drive4show for the comments

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Patching a fault with another fault, wouldn't recommend it.

Right hand grip looks fine, left is weak and the club too much in your palm will restrict your wrist hinge.

I'd get the grip to at LEAST neutral if I wanted to take the game seriously. Unless of course it's masking a physical ailment.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you go by 'the book' your left hand is a touch weak but if the new grip has helped you cure your hook, dont fix it.

after putting a leadbetter training grip on a club i can see that i have a weak left hand. so is it correct that my cocking of wrists will be a problem? which leads to what? (i not trying to lead the jury lol) really interested

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Patching a fault with another fault, wouldn't recommend it.

Right hand grip looks fine, left is weak and the club too much in your palm will restrict your wrist hinge.

I'd get the grip to at LEAST neutral if I wanted to take the game seriously. Unless of course it's masking a physical ailment.

Hi Justone, do you suggest i make the left hand stronger and more the fingers, when i try this i hook !

I read that Hogan suffered from a hook too and hence changed his grip to a weaker left hand

Happy for advice if you have a solution ?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Describe your hook... does the ball start pretty straight then banana to the left?, or does it actually start a little left?.. or to the right? Is it a high hook or a low one... medium? Is it with all clubs or just the driver?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Describe your hook... does the ball start pretty straight then banana to the left?, or does it actually start a little left?.. or to the right? Is it a high hook or a low one... medium? Is it with all clubs or just the driver?

Starts left like a pull and then curves further left and height is medium to low

To me it appears like an out to in = pull but closed face = left spin

Mostly if i get the path on the inside i just get straight with a little left spin ( like a draw but misses to the left too much )

Fault is with all clubs

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Starts left like a pull and then curves further left and height is medium to low

To me it appears like an out to in = pull but closed face = left spin

Mostly if i get the path on the inside i just get straight with a little left spin ( like a draw but misses to the left too much )

Fault is with all clubs

Sounds like one of two things is going on... 1) you're flipping/rolling the club closed though impact 2) you have an OTT action.

I doubt you ever make it to the inside (without steepening the club a ton) and then shutting the face. I've read your comments on other posts of yours and it does sound like you're having real issues (standing taller, keeping your chin up, resisting with your right knee).

For what it's worth most people that hook do so because their RIGHT hand is too strong... Hogan had his right hand weaker than RickG's tea. A hook also starts to the RIGHT and is a swingpath issue.. too much from the inside.

Bobmac did post an ideal grip video the other day in your V's thread. Even so most people when trying to lay the club diagonally at the base of their fingers STILL get it too much across their palm. The left hand should be at least neutral, in my opinion... although I prefer just a smidge on the stronger side, with the right hand neutral.

[video=youtube;r08cVyCoNCQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r08cVyCoNCQ[/video]

Have you got a vid of your swing that you can PM me?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sounds like one of two things is going on... 1) you're flipping/rolling the club closed though impact 2) you have an OTT action.

I doubt you ever make it to the inside (without steepening the club a ton) and then shutting the face.

Ok, you are STEEP..... very steep.

You have an over-the-top action and are steepening the club on the downswing in an effort to keep the club coming into the ball from the inside.. as you can see on the left you have the club practically vertical (that screenshot is from your downswing!) and on the right it's between your arms.

[click pics to enlarge...]
steep.jpg

The club should fall closer to the plane of your RIGHT FOREARM. Here's a guy I was helping before (same issue as you) and on the right is Hunter Mahan who has the club on the 'right forearm' plane.

cwgif.jpg

Being steep like that causes a LOT of issues,... stalling, flipping, rolling, early extension to name but a few. It looks like you are trying to hit the ball UP in the air by flicking at it with your arms/wrists/hands and that closes the clubface. The first thing you need to grasp is the IMPACT POSITION where your hands are AHEAD of the ball..... the hands swing the GRIP and the clubhead follows, the hands don't flick the clubhead at the ball.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Here's an image I just nicked off Google images when searching for 'golf impact position'

This is what you need to THINK/FEEL is happening as you bring the club into impact....

mfimpact1a.jpg

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks James

Any tips on how to correct the steepness of the downswing ?

I think you are dead right about impact, my left arm is bent and i have flipped ?

Thanks for taking time to help

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Start with a proper grip :D

Then consider this....

If the shoulders turn first it takes the club to the outside, so people then make the shaft STEEP to stop it going to the outside (as you do)...

[video=youtube;Slyu5noOUjA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slyu5noOUjA[/video]

Make slow swings as he does to get that feeling. Set the club halfway back and think about what he's saying, aim for that 'right forearm plane' with the club shaft ...........and then get the hands ahead (past your thighs) to get to that impact position I posted above.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks once again, i think i was turning the hips only which as the video shows throws my club off plane

Something to work on instead of guess work etc etc

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys

Just returned from a range session with the advice kindly given by JustOne and the results were very good, James thank you for your help and advice.

My swing faults tended to be a pull or pull hook and working on the lateral hip shift at the start and getting the club on a less steep plane i resulted in straight shots and more distance per iron approx 10 to 15 yds

The driver was harder to get right and only after slowing things down and using the lateral hip shift i was hitting that straight too

In fact after hitting many balls i found the occasional push shot arriving ( not had this before ) so my swing change must of been working too much

I also worked on reducing my back swing to what felt more like a 3/4 swing and this helped too

Anyway a huge thankyou guys and without your advice James i would still be tweeking and guessing what to change next.