My first Handicap

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Twice the par - you mean 8 on a par four or ten on a par five - I always thought anything more than a double bogey was rounded down to double bogey - for example a ten would get rounded down to a six on a par 4?

Yes that is the current procedure. As already said on this thread if you rounded down to 2 over par an initial handicap could never be greater than 36.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I started comps I played every hole as a par 5. What I hopefully gained on a par 3 and short par 4 I could give away on the longer par 4's and the par 5's. Go round in level 5's = 90 and so the OP will only be a couple over par. Gives a little margin of error and didn't feel as though I was under pressure against the card

Chico84

Visit site
This might be a very naïve question but is there not a computer programme that can just calculate this, assuming all the relevant data and information is available? I’ve seen that most clubs have a ‘Handicap Secretary’ or something similar. Does that individual do anything beyond simply calculating a handicap?

I guess what I’m saying is, does any form of discretion come into allocating a handicap or is it purely scientific?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
This might be a very naïve question but is there not a computer programme that can just calculate this, assuming all the relevant data and information is available? I’ve seen that most clubs have a ‘Handicap Secretary’ or something similar. Does that individual do anything beyond simply calculating a handicap?

I guess what I’m saying is, does any form of discretion come into allocating a handicap or is it purely scientific?
All golf clubs use software to calculate a new handicap from the three cards. There is though discretion to allocate an initial handicap to that calculated. This discretion would usually be used where a new member had previously held a handicap and the three cards calculation indicates a significant deviation.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do they still use the slope and rating to assess handicaps?
Slope and (Course) rating are part of WHS. CONGU is still running under CONGU Rules. The measure is SSS (as detailed in post #26).

Incidentally, you mention slope still being used. Slope has never been used by CONGU.

Chico84

Visit site
All golf clubs use software to calculate a new handicap from the three cards. There is though discretion to allocate an initial handicap to that calculated. This discretion would usually be used where a new member had previously held a handicap and the three cards calculation indicates a significant deviation.

Thanks, interesting to understand.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I am glad you asked this, i had the same thing when i handed my cards in.

I handed in 104, 102 and 99, SSS is 66, so i expected ~36 or so, got 29h.

How long have you been playing?

This threads been pretty helpful to me, especially learning about buffers etc - yesterday I shot a 90 - 3 strokes over my best ever card but 2 shots within buffer so Im made up with my handicap now!

Chico84

Visit site
Honestly bud, just play the rounds and wait to see what it is! I spent about a week guessing/ trying to work it out for myself but I wasnt even close :ROFLMAO:

I’m no where near getting a handicap at present. I’m Barry managing a round a month at the moment, let alone having the time to make membership a sensible value proposition!

I was more interested in the approach taken as it seemed as if there should just be a simple calculator that people could use, given the rules that people have articulated.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m no where near getting a handicap at present. I’m Barry managing a round a month at the moment, let alone having the time to make membership a sensible value proposition!

I was more interested in the approach taken as it seemed as if there should just be a simple calculator that people could use, given the rules that people have articulated.

It should be a simple spread sheet to do it yourself.
But in your situation I would wait until after Nov 2nd when a complete new formula for initial handicap comes in.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Many years ago, I was at a club where there were junior and senior handicaps. When you got to age 18 (or to a low junior handicap), you could get a senior one. I wanted to mark 3 cards for a senior handicap, and asked a middle aged middle handicapper to mark a card for me. On the first, a par-5, hit a decent drive, 3 wood on the green, holed a 12 footer for eagle. "Jesus, what sort of handicap are you after, son. I've played here for 25 years and never eagled this hole" said the other guy. The standard dropped a bit after that, ended up with 12.
Ha. My tale will be in the archives on here somewhere. I'd had a 11 h'cap expired about 12 years, and played in a comp to have the first card marked for a new one. I knew the rules and thought I was maybe playing around 13. I shot a 77! (SSS 72).
Next 2 cards were high teens.

carldudley

Visit site
How long have you been playing?

This threads been pretty helpful to me, especially learning about buffers etc - yesterday I shot a 90 - 3 strokes over my best ever card but 2 shots within buffer so Im made up with my handicap now!

Just over a year, started playing last Feb. Missed playing since lockdown, managed to get out a couple of times but foot injury has flared up and stopped me playing past 5/6 weeks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would wait until after Nov 2nd when a complete new formula for initial handicap comes in.

Interesting!! At the workshop the question was asked and the reply came back it would remain unchanged.

Having done a few trial runs for those with just 3 cards getting an initial Handicap Index what I noticed was just how much a player's H.I. jumps around as cards are added.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting!! At the workshop the question was asked and the reply came back it would remain unchanged.

Having done a few trial runs for those with just 3 cards getting an initial Handicap Index what I noticed was just how much a player's H.I. jumps around as cards are added.

Handicaps will move around faster in the new system. Suppose you are a 10 handicap which is based on an average score of 82 vs 72 SSS in the best 8 of your last 20 scores. at your course. That set of 8 scores could be made up of scores from low 70s to low 90s. If the best score is a 74, right at the start of that run of the last 20, but the 8th best of the remainder (the former 9th best) is a 94, the handicap jumps to 12.7.

And precisely the opposite can happen too, if your 8th best score is the first of the last 20, and falls off to be replaced by a low score.