Murray beats Nadal!

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He's certainly a top man when it comes to tennis, but to say he lacks charisma would be a gross under-statement. But then, if he was charismatic maybe his tennis would suffer.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't know about anyone else, but I'm pretty sure the guy care not one jot whether he's "likeable" or not!
You can see the determination and competitiveness in his eyes.
The guy's a born winner.
Something that's been missing in British sport in recent years, but starting to make a bit of a comeback in the shape of Hoy, Adlington etc.

long may it continue.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Born winner, no.
You didn't sit through wimbledon two years ago, when he was two sets to love up against Nalbandian, and from 3,1 up in the 3rd set threw it away. He lost the 4th set 6,0 because he didn't bother. Not the actions of a born winner me thinks. I had tickets, so sat through the whole sorry match.

He is a spoilt brat, and when it gets tough, he will quit.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Born winner, no.
You didn't sit through wimbledon two years ago, when he was two sets to love up against Nalbandian, and from 3,1 up in the 3rd set threw it away. He lost the 4th set 6,0 because he didn't bother. Not the actions of a born winner me thinks. I had tickets, so sat through the whole sorry match.

He is a spoilt brat, and when it gets tough, he will quit.

Time will tell Murph, I suppose.
or as my gran used to say.."It'll all come oot in the wash!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
don't care if he's likeable or not. I'd prefer that he win.

we've had too many caring more about the likeability factor than 'winability'. if it takes nasty - so be it.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Murray will let his winnings pay his way in life and not the whole celebrity media frenzy that most young sportsmen and women crave so much.

People like Kournokova who was mediocre at best and used sexy clothes to keep her in the papers and not her tennis ability.

Murray may not be the most likeable person but we have craved someone who is single minded in their goal of being the best in their field and here we have a guy with nothing in his closet and he is still getting it in the ear.

Well FWIW .. I am a Murray fan !!!!!!!!!!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If that is the case, why did the LTA have to pay Brad Gilbert to coach him. Surely the multi-millionaire Murray could have paid his own way?

B

birdieman

That sounds a little like asking the England football players to pay Fabio Capello themselves rather than let the FA pay just because they're rich.
If the LTA are prepared to help fund a Scottish (ooops British) prospect that's up to them. Murray couldn't command such things I don't think. If you were offered a paid-for top coach you'd take it no matter who pays. Besides it's not like the LTA couldn't afford it. The LTA will get their £££ back one way or another riding on the back of Murray's success. Even if he doesn't beat Federer he has made a very big mark this year and put UK tennis on the map by himself. Got to respect him for that.
I would re-iterate that Murray's football comments were akin to Paul Casey's anti-American comments, most likely taken out of context and blown up by the media to sell papers.
Fred Perry was an Englishman and Murray seems happy to wear his clothes! :)

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
If that is the case, why did the LTA have to pay Brad Gilbert to coach him. Surely the multi-millionaire Murray could have paid his own way?
The multi-millionaire Murray has won precisely £1.7m before this tournament. Gilbert was employed - what, 3/4 years ago? - when Murray was just coming out of junior tennis. I think you over-estimate how much cash he had won at that time.