Multi Course Membership

Chico84

Visit site
I just had something pop up on my Instagram feed from a company called Kondor Golf. They are crowdfunding to set up a golf club that allows members to play at a number of courses (primarily in the south east) with no additional green fees.

www.kondorgolf.co.uk

It sounds like a decent concept to me but at present they have no clubs signed up to it. They also reserve the right to remove clubs from their portfolio without any requirement to refund members.

£800 per year (less if you contribute to the funding drive) sounds like a great offer given most clubs’ membership costs in the area but it’s difficult to say until they have some confirmed clubs.

I’ve been considering joining a club but also enjoy playing a range of places. The price is also attractive but I wondered if anyone else had seen this and what the more experienced members of the forum thought of this. I like the idea of it but it does seem a little risky and my gut feel is that it will be difficult to get it off the ground in practice.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So they want to charge you 800 quid to get tee times at no extra cost at courses they haven't tied up deals with yet.?
What could possibly go wrong........?
I assume they pay the courses out of the 800 quid?
If you play once a week, effectively as a visitor, you're going to rack up over a grand's worth of green fees in no time..Where's their profit?

Chico84

Visit site
So they want to charge you 800 quid to get tee times at no extra cost at courses they haven't tied up deals with yet.?
If you play once a week, effectively as a visitor, you're going to rack up over a grand's worth of green fees in no time..Where's their profit?

That was my back of a fag packet calculation. Thought it sounded a bit optimistic! Probably trying to cash in on the recent uptick in golf popularity.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

If it sounds too good to be true... :unsure:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play join the club and you get reciprocal arrangements with 14 other clubs and the opportunity to to buy a county card which gives half price golf all over the south of England.

Being a member of a golf club gives you the opportunity to play in other clubs opens at vastly reduced rates.

sunshine

Visit site
Lots of sceptical comments, but there are several companies already doing this successfully. The company essentially buys a corporate membership at each course and then shares the availability among the members of the scheme. Many golf clubs, including decent private clubs, are willing to sell one tee time a day to a corporate customer like this.

Kondor are just jumping on to this bandwagon. However I can't see how they will attract any customers without a list of committed courses. Also, I can't see how they can offer a CONGU handicap to their members.

This scheme doesn't work for everyone. If you have lots of free time during the week and like playing casual golf then this could be ideal. I know people who have got tremendous value out of their scheme this year.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Back in the 1960's I used to know a guy who was a member of 8 clubs, 4 local and 4 country memberships.
The four locals ones were mainly for drinking and bridge he did not play much golf.
The country ones mainly related more to shooting party's than golf.
He was quite rich.;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a reasonable reciprocal list so I get a chance to play other courses free without having to fork out on any other organisation. If I was going to join another club it would be a country membership at a links but that would be dependent on how often I can play. No point forking out to play perhaps twice a year. Still need value for money

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of sceptical comments, but there are several companies already doing this successfully. The company essentially buys a corporate membership at each course and then shares the availability among the members of the scheme. Many golf clubs, including decent private clubs, are willing to sell one tee time a day to a corporate customer like this.

Kondor are just jumping on to this bandwagon. However I can't see how they will attract any customers without a list of committed courses. Also, I can't see how they can offer a CONGU handicap to their members.

This scheme doesn't work for everyone. If you have lots of free time during the week and like playing casual golf then this could be ideal. I know people who have got tremendous value out of their scheme this year.

Had a quick scan through their website. Their home page states you can have an official handicap but I can't see from their terms and conditions how that is going to happen.

sunshine

Visit site
Just that you can get cheap green fees all over the country and put handicap scores in (if you wish).

County card scheme is designed to supplement your membership at a club. And you have to pay for each round, on top of your annual subscription at your home club.

The Kondor and One golf schemes are completely different: you are entitled to play at multiple courses all year for a single annual fee. It replaces club membership.