Moving ball marker off someone’s line

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I have a friend that always asks me to move my ball a full putter length away from the ball which, politely putting it, is a bit of a chore.

Do I have to comply or can I refuse and say I’ll mark it a couple of putter heads away and instruct him to read putts better?

salfordlad

Visit site

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a friend that always asks me to move my ball a full putter length away from the ball which, politely putting it, is a bit of a chore.

Do I have to comply or can I refuse and say I’ll mark it a couple of putter heads away and instruct him to read putts better?
Out of interest, does he ask that of everyone? Do you use a massive poker chip or similar?

Seems overly fussy and you could put it in the irritations thread.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean put it in there to get an answer, I meant it was worthy of going in irritations.

He must be a popular bloke to play with 😄
A friend has had the misfortune to play a couple of knockouts against an eejit at his club who is very sensitive about "people being in his eyeline" when he putts.
My friend moved and moved until he was informed that the only acceptable position to stand was OFF the green...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A friend has had the misfortune to play a couple of knockouts against an eejit at his club who is very sensitive about "people being in his eyeline" when he putts.
My friend moved and moved until he was informed that the only acceptable position to stand was OFF the green...
I must be an eejit then as I ask players to move if they are standing behind the hole in my line of vision….they should know to not stand there. But I’m not that sensitive to ask someone to move off the green…just move a bit round

I double down on my eejitery as I ask balls within something like 4ft of the hole to be marked and lifted when I am putting. Again it is my view that players should do that as a matter of course unless they are to putt out.

Not difficult…simple matters of courtesy given we know some might have such sensitivities. In this I honestly don‘t particularly care if someone thinks me a bit of an eejit, and it is guidance and advice I give to all new players I mentor. All about consideration for your fellow players.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
I was asked at late notice to fill in on a society day to make up the numbers due to a mate being unable to play. In my four ball there was someone who always asked for the flag to be tended (this was pre 2019 rules change) but did not want the ‘attendee’ to hold the flag when he putted as it put him off, so he insisted on the ‘attendee’ standing 4 or 5 paces away, then they had to rush in to grab the flag after he struck the putt. Such an irritating palaver on every hole. If I wasn’t a stand in I would have refused to be involved but as a guest I felt I couldn’t - made for a really annoying round, how regular playing partners let him get away with it I really don’t know.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean put it in there to get an answer, I meant it was worthy of going in irritations.

He must be a popular bloke to play with 😄
He’s an interesting character. He always good for a couple of rule infractions. I get right under his skin when I tell him he can’t do something. Given we play match play pairs a lot, it’s a very useful tool. 😂

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must be an eejit then as I ask players to move if they are standing behind the hole in my line of vision….they should know to not stand there. But I’m not that sensitive to ask someone to move off the green…just move a bit round

I double down on my eejitery as I ask balls within something like 4ft of the hole to be marked and lifted when I am putting. Again it is my view that players should do that as a matter of course unless they are to putt out.

Not difficult…simple matters of courtesy given we know some might have such sensitivities. In this I honestly don‘t particularly care if someone thinks me a bit of an eejit, and it is guidance and advice I give to all new players I mentor. All about consideration for your fellow players.
There's consideration and there's being an eejit.
This Eejit must have had 360 degree vision as he was put off by someone that he couldn't see but "knew where he was"

But I don't want to revive the infamous Historical Standing Position thread...

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

If you weren't playing a proper match I would tell this person that I would just putt first.
This is a ridiculous request.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
If you weren't playing a proper match I would tell this person that I would just putt first.
Yep and that’s a fair point as we mainly play friendly knocks. I think I’ll only adhere to it on official comps with him.

salfordlad

Visit site
That could be sensible. In addition, if the behaviour is over the top and is repeating and the player cannot come up with a cogent reason that can be managed (eg, "that large poker chip really catches my eye"), this likely fails the "reasonably believes" guidance in Rule 15.3. A further option is to raise it with the Committee for their consideration - there are potentially Rule 15.3 and Rule 5.6 (unreasonable delay) angles here. If I am the Committee (ie refereeing), I would be asking the player questions.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
That could be sensible. In addition, if the behaviour is over the top and is repeating and the player cannot come up with a cogent reason that can be managed (eg, "that large poker chip really catches my eye"), this likely fails the "reasonably believes" guidance in Rule 15.3. A further option is to raise it with the Committee for their consideration - there are potentially Rule 15.3 and Rule 5.6 (unreasonable delay) angles here. If I am the Committee (ie refereeing), I would be asking the player questions.
Got to take into consideration that this an issue with a mate but will take an unreasonable delay clause into account thanks.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Have to say that I had a 18” putt recently where another player‘s poker chip ball marker was between my feet and my ball. I thought about asking it to be moved or for the other player to play first…but I didn’t as I thought that was being a bit fiddly. I should have. It was as if the thing was staring me in the face. I missed the putt as I was thinking more about the marker than my putt.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got to take into consideration that this an issue with a mate but will take an unreasonable delay clause into account thanks.
If he's a mate, can't you just tell him not to be a t#sser :)

But to reiterate a point already made ...
If its a casual/friendly game - just tell him you'll putt first.
If it's a formal strokeplay competition, just tell him you'll putt first. You're entitled to do so.
If it's a formal matchplay competition you're sort of stuck with the request - but he's a mate, so I'd still tell him he's a t#sser.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
If he's a mate, can't you just tell him not to be a t#sser :)

But to reiterate a point already made ...
If its a casual/friendly game - just tell him you'll putt first.
If it's a formal strokeplay competition, just tell him you'll putt first. You're entitled to do so.
If it's a formal matchplay competition you're sort of stuck with the request - but he's a mate, so I'd still tell him he's a t#sser.
He honestly wouldn’t care 😂

It’s usually friendly match play so wouldn’t want to give him the privilege of seeing my line! 😂

Jason.H

Visit site
I got caught out playing with members I’d not played with before. I was +1 gross and on the 16th green one of them chipped to about 2 and a half foot from the hole. Then just stood there waiting for me to put I did, lipped out and touched the other guys ball. To which another guy who, marking my card said that’s a 2 shot penalty. So that day I learned a harsh lesson. So I always ask for a ball to be marked if it’s anywhere near. And if a marker is near my line I always get it moved in a comp.