Moving ball marker off someone’s line

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My playing partner uses a poker chip type marker but if he thinks it’s anywhere near someone’s line he will put down a small standard size marker 😂🤣
Seriously though who thought great big ball marker would be a good idea?
They are nice souvenirs. I always have a large and small marker in my pocket.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I got caught out playing with members I’d not played with before. I was +1 gross and on the 16th green one of them chipped to about 2 and a half foot from the hole. Then just stood there waiting for me to put I did, lipped out and touched the other guys ball. To which another guy who, marking my card said that’s a 2 shot penalty. So that day I learned a harsh lesson. So I always ask for a ball to be marked if it’s anywhere near. And if a marker is near my line I always get it moved in a comp.
That sounds like poor behaviour on their part!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My playing partner uses a poker chip type marker but if he thinks it’s anywhere near someone’s line he will put down a small standard size marker 😂🤣
Seriously though who thought great big ball marker would be a good idea?
I do the same, don't see a problem with it.
And, just for an example, a larger marker is easier to see so people don't miss it and stand on other peoples lines - which I know winds people up more than most etiquette breaches on the course, so the bigger the better imo :)

sunshine

Visit site
Unless you’re playing match play, I believe you can choose to putt out instead of mark your ball. I bet that if you started putting out every time he made a silly request he would soon get the message.

Unless of course you are using a poker chip marker, in which case I support his efforts to make you move it as far away as possible.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless you’re playing match play, I believe you can choose to putt out instead of mark your ball. I bet that if you started putting out every time he made a silly request he would soon get the message.

Unless of course you are using a poker chip marker, in which case I support his efforts to make you move it as far away as possible.
..like into a bin, or the sea.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I got caught out playing with members I’d not played with before. I was +1 gross and on the 16th green one of them chipped to about 2 and a half foot from the hole. Then just stood there waiting for me to put I did, lipped out and touched the other guys ball. To which another guy who, marking my card said that’s a 2 shot penalty. So that day I learned a harsh lesson. So I always ask for a ball to be marked if it’s anywhere near. And if a marker is near my line I always get it moved in a comp.
How hard did you hit your putt to lip out 2 and a half feet?!? Did you take a run up? :ROFLMAO:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

No. Discrete marker. You have a point though. Even in pairs match play he’d rather put out than me sink mine to take the pressure off him. Might just try that.

tobybarker

Visit site
I must be an eejit then as I ask players to move if they are standing behind the hole in my line of vision….they should know to not stand there. But I’m not that sensitive to ask someone to move off the green…just move a bit round

I double down on my eejitery as I ask balls within something like 4ft of the hole to be marked and lifted when I am putting. Again it is my view that players should do that as a matter of course unless they are to putt out.

Not difficult…simple matters of courtesy given we know some might have such sensitivities. In this I honestly don‘t particularly care if someone thinks me a bit of an eejit, and it is guidance and advice I give to all new players I mentor. All about consideration for your fellow players.
our slopey greens are such that a putt could easily swing 4 feet off line if you set it running slightly off your intended line..... I'd always get them to mark as i don't want gp.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I played with a bloke the other day who didn't do anything to annoy me.

As a GM forummer I found that very annoying and was quick to give him a piece of my mind. :mad:
Are you really sure he didn't annoy you? Have you considered all the aspects? Seems unlikely given the nature of a large number of posts on here.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
our slopey greens are such that a putt could easily swing 4 feet off line if you set it running slightly off your intended line..... I'd always get them to mark as i don't want gp.
Are you just guarding against this possibility SilH with your 4 foot ish policy or do other balls distract you when you’re close in too?

I often don’t bother marking when in that range if I’m nowhere near another’s line. I hadn’t considered some may find it distracting. My mates obviously don’t mind as we all do it but as you say we all need to be aware of others possible “sensitivities“, eejitery or not 😉

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Are you just guarding against this possibility SilH with your 4 foot ish policy or do other balls distract you when you’re close in too?

I often don’t bother marking when in that range if I’m nowhere near another’s line. I hadn’t considered some may find it distracting. My mates obviously don’t mind as we all do it but as you say we all need to be aware of others possible “sensitivities“, eejitery or not 😉
I’m not that worried about hitting another ball if I miss or if it’s close to my line…I simply just prefer the immediate area around the hole to be clear of balls so that I can focus on the hole and my line, without distractions.

That said, the pin position on our 13th yesterday was such that it was very easy for the slight misread of line or just too light on weight found my ball >6ft from the hole in a place perpendicular to my original line.🙄

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That said, the pin position on our 13th yesterday was such that it was very easy for the slight misread of line or just too light on weight found my ball >6ft from the hole in a place perpendicular to my original line.🙄
I find it hard to imagine your ball being >6' above the ground :unsure: