Mountain Biking....as we were saying

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got into it. Aint even broke the bike in yet. Want to get into it atleast once a week maybe once a fortnight.

Need to get a bike rack for the motor. Got some good places within an hour or two drive from me.

Delemere Forest is just down the road and that is ace apparently for biking. Did about 20 miles on the tow path up and down Chester when I first got it but not been out on it since about sept.

Anyone else do Biking?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I ride quite often in swinley forest which is bracknell way, the best mountain biking in the london area.

Twice a year I rack up my spesh and go to Coed y Brenin, which is awesome, but you need to be good as it is blommin dangerous. (most of the trails are rocky, and you couldn't walk down, so you have to ride!) Fun though. Fantastic fun.

I love trail riding, and have done a fair bit in NZ and Spain. Best fun you can have with your clothes on, if you are fit enough.

My spesh has 6" of suspension travel fore and aft, with hydraulic 4pot discs. Not worth getting it out unless I take it somewhere special, as it is over kill round Watford, so I normally ride my old Scott hardtail, which has clocked up about 20,000 miles. Just about broken in then.

My road bike is there for training, and if I fancy a quick blast on my own. Not as comfy as the scott, but light weight and fast. Not so many gears, so you need to work the big ring, good for developing leg strength.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are heros, the last time I did mileage like that on a bike was on one I built when i was 15, moped wheel in the back 500pedal strokes per YARD! Rode to Lincolshire show and back 70 miles in total, 6 punctures and stopped by police twice. Those were the days. I ride a bike a lot and its hilly here in the wolds but dont go too far, its more fun doing it on my motorbike.
cool.gif

D

Deleted member 1740

Used to ride everywhere, done the marin trail a few times until i passed my driving test in '98 then just got fat+lazy and drove everywhere.

Then last year decided to treat myself to a new spesh and tho ive not done any of the tracks recently i'm trying to shed a few pounds before i get down to coed y brenin for real biking.

Theres no better buzz than riding through trails in the cold and rain i love it

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You need to be fit to ride at coed, and also pretty technicaly proficient. I have seen a few big accidents, broken bones etc,and you are a long way from help, with no mobile signal. That said, if you ride within your limits, it is awesome riding.

D

Deleted member 1740

Murph my riding skills are rusty but a few warm ups and i'll be sound. I want to enjoy the rides so thats why am waiting to get a bit fitter before i head back to proper trails

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thats near plas y brenin right, in snowdonia national park?

I spend alot of time in snowdonia, I camp alot there and climbed the hill 3 times last year.

I plan on hitching the bike up next time I go, problem is, non of my pals have bikes nor want to buy them. See alot of riders passing through bets-y-coed on the way up to plas y brenin.

Such a great plave the national park, I have some great pics of snowdonia in January last year that just take your breath away, even with my dodgy phone camera! :D

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use to be into it in a big way, I use to ride for schmoos team in Swansea and compete in races etc. I use to love my Giant hard tail. Use to love free riding but compete in XC.

I use to live near the UKs best mountain biking place - http://www.mtb-wales.com/modules.php?op=...ge&pageid=2

If you are ever down that neck of the woods, you have to try it out, "the wall" is amazing.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, apart from throwing myself back into Golf in a big way last year, <ountain Biking had been my passion for about 6/7yrs.

Done loads of Coast to Coasts, South Downs Way, Peak District, Dalby Forest, and been to the Alps 4/5 times too, which is absolutely awesome.
Coed Y Brenin is fab, but you do need to be fit, and as said, quite proficient, as we had a few of the group took some some very heavy tumbles, which as well as causing some Bike damage, also knocked their confidence big time.

My son is getting into it, so I can see me out again this year, and must admit, you cant beat trundling across the bridleways ona superb dusty summer evening :)

It is great.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Erm I think they have a few more pubs now :D . We only ever stop on the way through to have a look in Blacks and the other outdoor shops.

Just booked a log cabin somewhere in mid wales for may. On the map doesn't look to far away from the brekon beacons so may hitch the bike up and take with. That and the golf clubs! :D