Most overlooked thing in the golf swing

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Whether it’s teaching or clips looked on YouTube to articles in magazines, what do you think is the most overlooked aspect of the golf swing ?
This may include, grip, takeaway, posture whatever.
I have a good idea and will share later, but I’m interested to know what others think

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Been reading Adam Young and listening to his podcast, really interesting thinking

None of that really matters at all, his philosophy is that the only thing that matters is the impact. The ball does not care what your grip is, what your takeaway looks like and where your arms are at the top of the swing.

The ball only cares about the impact, the club path and face angle.

So I would say that, you could have a strong grip, an inside takeaway, a steep downswing etc etc, if you can deliver the club head correctly at impact all that is irrelevant.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Been reading Adam Young and listening to his podcast, really interesting thinking

None of that really matters at all, his philosophy is that the only thing that matters is the impact. The ball does not care what your grip is, what your takeaway looks like and where your arms are at the top of the swing.

So I would say that, you could have a strong grip, an inside takeaway, a steep downswing etc etc, if you can deliver the club head correctly at impact all that is irrelevant.

Sounds like he's been reading one of John Jacobs' old books.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Yep, and most the things taught make it as easy as possible to do this repeatedly for majority of people.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Alignment is the big thing for me. Simple errors out of misalignment and aim cost shots even when you have a good strike. You need to ensure you’re rewarded for striking it well, so that when you’re not you have room in your score for that to happen.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There are only 5 things that affect the ball directly. (Laws)
In no specific order....
Speed
Hitting the sweet spot
Angle of attack
Clubface direction at impact
Swing path.

I think all of these have been well covered over the years.
So I'm guessing you have another idea of principles and preferences which could include aim, grip, set up, ball position, dynamic posture, swing plane, grip pressure and many more.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say follow through. A lot of people seem to think the follow through doesn't matter because you've already hit the ball by then, but for me the final position you end up in affects the whole swing path to get there. Since I've come back, making sure I finish the swing has made a big positive impact in not fading/slicing as much.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep, and most the things taught make it as easy as possible to do this repeatedly for majority of people.
to some extent I would agree with you, but what Adam always brings up is that pretty much everyone he teaches is very aware of the takeaway, backswing etc but have no idea what they are actually doing at impact.

What I have learned from all my other sports is that though there is a "text book" technique, you should never fight what the body wants to do naturally, instead use the natural movements and refine. I think a lot of people get bogged down in details, and try to force the their body to do something it is not comfortable with.

For every maxim of golf technique, over/under swing, where the club is pointing at the top of the swing, looking up etc, every single one of those "faults" will be in the swing of a top pro. What they all do well is impact, and have a great knowledge of what they are doing to the club face at impact

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
to some extent I would agree with you, but what Adam always brings up is that pretty much everyone he teaches is very aware of the takeaway, backswing etc but have no idea what they are actually doing at impact.

What I have learned from all my other sports is that though there is a "text book" technique, you should never fight what the body wants to do naturally, instead use the natural movements and refine. I think a lot of people get bogged down in details, and try to force the their body to do something it is not comfortable with.

For every maxim of golf technique, over/under swing, where the club is pointing at the top of the swing, looking up etc, every single one of those "faults" will be in the swing of a top pro. What they all do well is impact, and have a great knowledge of what they are doing to the club face at impact
Totally agree. If you can do something that works and is repeatable and reliable, who cares what it looks like. ??

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I think many here have stated what they think is an important part of the swing, not the most overlooked aspect of the swing. I say this because I'm very competitive and would like to win a prize.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think many here have stated what they think is an important part of the swing, not the most overlooked aspect of the swing. I say this because I'm very competitive and would like to win a prize.

Quite right. And for that reason I reckon the most overlooked aspect is the pressure on the middle toe of the left foot prior to the transition.