Most memorable shank?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Being of a sadistic nature I can't stop watching Nanna Koerstz Madsen's pipe from the sand at the 18th at Carnoustie..

What is your most memorable shank, either by you or a playing partner?

My obsession with the socket of the club began in 1988 in a Golf Foundation finals where I hit my first ever shank at Kenilworth and proceed to hit seven more of them in a stunning 91. The lowest point of my golfing life – the final one was so severe (they were all with a pitching wedge) it pretty much went behind me

Attachments

• Madsen.png
    Madsen.png
    639.5 KB · Views: 36
D

Deleted member 1147

I had a custom fitting with the Ping rep' a couple of years ago.
I was aiming to buy some new irons and had tried the most suitable clubs from each brand in preparation for splashing the cash.

I had a good warm up, and was striping 7 irons down the range.
I then went into the fitting room, discussed what I wanted, my basic game (good ball striker:ROFLMAO:, play off 3 etc).
He asked me to hit my own 7 iron to get a base line...I then hit a necky shot, followed by a shank, then another, another ,etc etc etc :eek:...7 shanks later I decided to try the Ping drivers instead:sneaky:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nearly killed someone with one once. I was playing from the fairway on the 12th at Haste Hill, a guy was just walking through the trees down the right (right side of the 13th) looking for his ball. I've Hilary Swanked it straight towards him, shout 'fore' in the most panicked tone I've ever shouted it, since he's only about 70 yards away from me. Hit a tree about 5 yards above his head in the end.

I remember doing one in a bunker once that worked out really well, as the front lip was quite high, but I shank it, it kind of hits / rolls around the right edge and flies up over the lip towards the flag and ended up about 2 feet away. :LOL:

I had a custom fitting with the Ping rep' a couple of years ago.
I was aiming to buy some new irons and had tried the most suitable clubs from each brand in preparation for splashing the cash.

I had a good warm up, and was striping 7 irons down the range.
I then went into the fitting room, discussed what I wanted, my basic game (good ball striker:ROFLMAO:, play off 3 etc).
He asked me to hit my own 7 iron to get a base line...I then hit a necky shot, followed by a shank, then another, another ,etc etc etc :eek:...7 shanks later I decided to try the Ping drivers instead:sneaky:
Sadly I had the same thing at Orka the other week. I rarely shank on the course these days, but for some reason on the driving range, or as in this case, indoor studio, they come back with a vengeance. After 15 minutes of hitting a shank with every second or third shot we just knocked it on the head and ended the session. :cry:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
not me but my dad. i think it was the 4th or 5th at Bromley and my dad absolutely smokes one 45 degrees right and into a guys chest. not surprisingly he fell like a sack of the smelly brown as there was no time to shout.

my dads words were "oh **** i've killed him"

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
On the pitch & putt course in Ambleside, playing with my non golfing daughter. Hit one at over 45° onto the adjoining tennis court. Had to walk round two sides of the court to get to the gate to retrieve the ball. Teed it up & hit an identical shot. Daughter was falling over laughing. The next couple of holes were OK but then we came to one with a road & parked cars on the right. I was a nervous wreck by the time we finished.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Having an on course lesson at St Annes Old Links, got to third and had been playing well - really showcasing my new found golfing ability, exactly as instructed in the weeks prior.

The third is a 150 yard par 3, a strong 8 iron or soft 7 for me. I tee up with the 7 and, feeling confident, proceed to shank one straight into the rough/hedge to the right. After a little chuckle I got another ball out and teed up again before repeating the feat. This continued until I'd put 5 pro Vs into that patch.

After a while my coach just told me to walk away, get my bag and we'll go practice some pitching and chipping.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It was the day of Lady Di's funeral and the was a medal on.
Just 2 of us turned up
Playing the 11th I shanked 5 in a row OB - completely out of nowhere....
Promptly NR'd and just walked round marking the other guy's card...

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Luckily, I've only hit a couple whilst playing, my favourite was on the 17th, Sunningdale Old, playing with Paperboy & Homer, during one of Glynn's meets. Simon & I had been laughing so much during the prior holes, it was very dark, and my legs were bitten to smithereens - I was surprised I made contact in fairness!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Have just reminded myself of a bloody awful run of them. Played in the Ladies Scottish Open at Archerfield years ago (it was a pro-am) and was a bit too full of myself after a good round the day before. Standing next to Laura Davies I piped one after the other for 20 minutes solid until, by the end, I had to resort to playing chip and runs with a hybrid which I was still managing to squirt off sideways. I had to leave the range.

Sat in my car until the range had emptied and went back out with a new swing thought (stand a bit further away from the ball) and hit about 500 balls to get it out my system. I can still hear/feel those shots now and the looks from my new friends

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
When I first started playing, a friend and I were playing at our local club. He shanked one on the first tee, and it shot off and knocked the putter out of the hands of the club Pro who was putting out on the 18th. Suffice to say he was not impressed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rather than just one I had 4 shanks in a row from 30 yards short of the green the 5th shot being played almost from where I hit the first shank.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have just reminded myself of a bloody awful run of them. Played in the Ladies Scottish Open at Archerfield years ago (it was a pro-am) and was a bit too full of myself after a good round the day before. Standing next to Laura Davies I piped one after the other for 20 minutes solid until, by the end, I had to resort to playing chip and runs with a hybrid which I was still managing to squirt off sideways. I had to leave the range.

Sat in my car until the range had emptied and went back out with a new swing thought (stand a bit further away from the ball) and hit about 500 balls to get it out my system. I can still hear/feel those shots now and the looks from my new friends

Since Mark T has told a story about s***king in front of Laura Davies, let me see that and raise him.

American Express Corporate Day, day after Tiger Woods won the WGC at The Grove, 16th hole, par-3, playing 140-odd yards slightly uphill. Moved into the ball a bit too keenly, hit it, ahem, somewhat further to the right than intended, right in front of corporate day pro host Sir Nick Faldo.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I nearly hit a cruise ship rumour was it was the QE2.
Playing the third hole ( I think it was 30 yrs ago) at Renfrew GC the ship was sailing ,ticker tape embarking on a cruise.
On a grassy knoll downhill lie.
Never had one before was a real shock.
Ship was probably miles away but it was massive.

D

Deleted member 23270

Wow best shank..... this forum just carries on giving ?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Since Mark T has told a story about s***king in front of Laura Davies, let me see that and raise him.

American Express Corporate Day, day after Tiger Woods won the WGC at The Grove, 16th hole, par-3, playing 140-odd yards slightly uphill. Moved into the ball a bit too keenly, hit it, ahem, somewhat further to the right than intended, right in front of corporate day pro host Sir Nick Faldo.

You win, need to find a Lord/Lady to pipe one in front of

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played Ashburnham a few weeks ago with a mate of who I haven’t seen or played golf with in ages. I was asked to play in big group of his mates.

Parred the first. Nailed the drive on the second so thought I’d arrived. Shanked my wedge in to the green almost out of bounds. Walked up to my ball and then did actually shank it out of bounds.

I must have hit about 20+ shanks that round and was the most embarrassed I’ve ever been on a golf course. It got to the point where if my playing partners were standing to my right not paying attention whilst I was playing my shot, I’d have to say “sorry boys watch yourselves there just in case” ? I’ve never wanted to walk off a golf course so much in all my life