Most forgiving wedges ?

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m going to invest in some new wedges I want something forgiving and easy to hit as I’ve been struggling with my bladed cleavland rtx lately especially with the softer Conditions so thinking more bounce might suit me a bit more what are other people playing and finding success with ??

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the ground conditions are the cause of your issues then the forgiving nature of a CB wedge isn't going to make any difference at all. All that does is smooth the results of off centre, but otherwise pure, strikes.
Bluntly even playing with sole widths, grinds and bounce isn't going to make a lot of difference unless accompanied by technique.
If you struggle with wedges accompanied by soft ground conditions 99% of the time you are hitting the ground before the ball. That's a technique issue and adding a huge sole, loads of bounce and a cavity back is simply going to deliver a different fat result.
Bob has drills!

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Try the Taylormade High Toe wedges, I've just replaced my Vokeys and really like them
How do you find the forgiveness and turf interaction I been struggling with heavy strikes and my current wedges digging too much.What set up did you go for ?

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
If the ground conditions are the cause of your issues then the forgiving nature of a CB wedge isn't going to make any difference at all. All that does is smooth the results of off centre, but otherwise pure, strikes.
Bluntly even playing with sole widths, grinds and bounce isn't going to make a lot of difference unless accompanied by technique.
If you struggle with wedges accompanied by soft ground conditions 99% of the time you are hitting the ground before the ball. That's a technique issue and adding a huge sole, loads of bounce and a cavity back is simply going to deliver a different fat result.
Bob has drills!
There is that but what’s the point of different bounces etc surely a more forgiving wedge is going to help with consistency and get a better pattern of strikes

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you are a digger and take pork chop divots then high bounce wedges will help immediately.

If you catch it a bit heavy. A low bounce wedge will have you way short. A high bounce wedge might just get you out of jail enough to land on the green.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is that but what’s the point of different bounces etc surely a more forgiving wedge is going to help with consistency and get a better pattern of strikes

Bounce is mainly about situations when you don't want to hit the ball first (sand) and also has a place in chipping (less in pitching - back to rule 1 "ball first").
Yes, in soft conditions with a steep angle of attack you will get a better result with more bounce - but it still won't be the correct result!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
How do you find the forgiveness and turf interaction I been struggling with heavy strikes and my current wedges digging too much.What set up did you go for ?

I've read the subsequent posts and know they are right about digging in etc, but strangely I find that i can nip the 60° off a really bare lie with no worries. Forgiveness is super but you still have to hit with confidence otherwise you can duff any wedge. I also like the grooves covering the entire face as, when you flatten the club, the ball goes more across the face and still interacts with the grooves, a plus as far as I'm concerned.

I bought a 60 and 56 degree but still keep a 50° vokey as my shop didnt have a 50° in stock

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I had an issue hitting slightly fat shots, not all the taime and mostly not too heavy but it was there. I ws keeping the weight on my right heel, worked on this and getting the weight transferance to the left side correctly and it fixed that issue. Was especially noticable with my wedges.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I was the OP (who didn't say if the bad ones were fat or thin) I'd look at bounce options initially and also invest in a lesson to ensure the strike is improved on pitches and chips. A good pro will be able to look at your style (sweep vs dig) and advise accordingly

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
If heavy strikes are the problem now that the ground is so much softer I use a less lofted wedge (summer 54* so winter 50*) and open the face slightly to get more bounce.
This is a option I find my bad ones are fat pick the ball up great when conditions are firm but now the grounds wet having a mare with them and I suppose I’m a digger rather than sweeper .

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m going to invest in some new wedges I want something forgiving and easy to hit as I’ve been struggling with my bladed cleavland rtx lately especially with the softer Conditions so thinking more bounce might suit me a bit more what are other people playing and finding success with ??

I have two vokeys - 50 and 54, with mid bounce. I use these to as shots from fairway and 1st cut of rough. 50 for mostly full or half shots. 54 for full shots and flighty chips and everything in between.
I have a cleveland 60 degree with 12 degrees of bounce. This has revolutionised my bunker game as I previously mainly used a 54 with not enough bounce out of the bunkers. Even though I had the 60 in the bag, I was only using it for lob shots or bunker shots with steep sides.

I doubt there's a huge difference between most of the main manufacturers. Titleist certainly have the most variations in terms of loft, bounce, sole etc. But are a bit more expensive than Cleveland and some other manufacturers.

I went with Titleist as I had the budget for it but had I been on a tighter budget then would have had no issues with looking at other main manufacturers.

What has helped the most (more so than the clubs) has been knowing that the purpose of a certain sole / bounce combination is for a certain shot.
Helps massively for having a plan in certain situations and having a bit of confidence in terms of giving you the best chance to play the shot you are attempting.

Also - be careful on people saying high bounce is for a certain ground condition or a certain shot. There is a clear variance between players who 'pick', 'sweep' or 'dig' the ball and the clubs that will be best suited to them. As always helps to speak to a decent fitter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

I understand the Cleveland (cavity back) wedges are supposed to be more forgiving than some of the bladed clubs.
I used to have some Ping wedges, which were a bit more forgiving, but I can't recall the name of the specific model.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps it's me, but I don't see wedges as being judged on "forgiveness, as you don't play them full swing normally. Bounce and how the club feels balance wise, yes but forgiveness no.

Bobby19

Visit site
I recently bought the Cleveland CBX2 wedges & used them for the first time at the range yesterday.
Really impressed - and really really forgiving - as someone who took up golf a year ago I think these will make a big difference to my short game.