Most consistent manufacturer?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Which manufacturer in your opinion is best from top to bottom?

If you could only pick one manufacturer for woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, putter. even including ball

For example Mizuno would be seen as excellent irons but not there yet regarding woods , putters , balls
Cobra and Ping good stuff but don’t make balls

Is there anyone you think has nailed it in every area and have few weaknesses?

To me it’s probably a shout between Titleist and Callaway. TaylorMade maybe let down by irons.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Currently I'm predominately Taylormade and have their (1st edition) P790 irons as well as rescue club, 2 wedges and putter. I also have a few other makes but would be content if a manufacturer wants to sponsor me through the bag to go Titleist, Callaway, Srixon Ping ................

Wolf

Visit site
Imo there isn't one it's open to opinion. If you're looking for one right through the bag you're already limited to a small number of manufacturers. I can't stand any Titleist clubs or balls, Callaways balls again for me are terrible. TM are solid but I find the irons hit and miss. I think the most consistent club manufacturers clubs right down to wedges are PING yet no ball is made. Its reasons like this everyone has different manufacturers throughout their bags including many Pro's.

For me I'll throw another in the mix with Bridgestone, huge fan of their balls, Irons that I've used have a good feel as do the drivers, fairways & wedges but they don't have putters.

I just see how one can be classed as best overall. To open to different thoughts and feels.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If you are including everything, Titleist all day long. includes Vokey wedges and Scotty Cameron putters! But it is personal choice... I am a recent convert to their woods.. but I have never tried their irons. But plenty rave about them. When we return, I am after new rescues, need to test, but the Titleist ones could be going in.

Take out your criteria for a ball....and Ping would be right up there. Love their irons and wedges, played them for years... their woods and putters are tip top too! But I know folk who hate them!

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Tbh, you could give me a bag with a full set of clubs from anyone (off the shelf) and as long as they were a suitable make up - Say Driver, 3w, Hybrid, 4i through wedges and a putter - I'm fairly confident it'd make absolutely no difference to my game.

I have a full bag of Benross kit. Why? It's decent and works for me and I could afford it. But if pushed I'd probably go Titleist or Taylormade. Can't tell you why, never been as fussed by Callaway or Ping. Probably based purely on players and sponsors if I'm honest.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ping have made balls......Ping balls
However I think there is definately some badge engineering or group names being used. I don't think you can have Scotty C putters as they aren't Titleist, just umbrella owned within the group.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
However I think there is definately some badge engineering or group names being used. I don't think you can have Scotty C putters as they aren't Titleist, just umbrella owned within the group.
That means Callaway are out because they dont do putters- Odyssey and Toulon cover that.
Which leave TM
Always made decent woods, with the current P range they have decent irons, their milled wedges are pretty good and you see many Spider putters
TP5 and X are as good as anything else and the new Tour Response is going to be popular....

sunshine

Visit site

Scotty Cameron is part of Titleist, and has been for a long time. Plenty of scotty putters down the years have featured a titleist badge.

sunshine

Visit site
Agree about Ping.

Titleist:
Drivers/fairways/hybrids all equal to the best
Irons equal to the best
Wedges, Vokey
Putters, overpriced Cameron but used by some of the best in the world
Balls, consistently the most used by the best in the world.

Callaway wouldn't get my vote due to the inferior build quality and inconsistency with the balls, TM wouldn't make it on putters and balls.

What about ball retrievers?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Which manufacturer in your opinion is best from top to bottom?

If you could only pick one manufacturer for woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, putter. even including ball

For example Mizuno would be seen as excellent irons but not there yet regarding woods , putters , balls
Cobra and Ping good stuff but don’t make balls

Is there anyone you think has nailed it in every area and have few weaknesses?

To me it’s probably a shout between Titleist and Callaway. TaylorMade maybe let down by irons.

I really feel Ping are the company that stand out. They were obviously a family run company and I believe still are with the Solheim family.
I heard a podcast about their history and they did try and make balls... I think in the 90s or there abouts. But just couldn't sell enough to make it worthwhile.
They do really go for the R&D and engineering side of things. Karsten Solheim would always change his equipment he used to the newest stuff as he believed in his engineers to find constant improvements and wasn't sentimental about his previous successful designs.

If I was putting a full set together (including ball) it would likely be Titleist as I feel there is an authenticity to their design and branding (of the companies that make 14 clubs and balls). I like the look of a Scotty, but really feel it's hugely over priced for what it is, which would always put me off even if I had the spare cash.

However I have a real soft spot for Ping and Mizuno stuff and I reckon most of my purchases from now on will be from these 2. Fancy a set of Mizuno irons, which are the next thing I'm likely to replace.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Scotty Cameron is part of Titleist, and has been for a long time. Plenty of scotty putters down the years have featured a titleist badge.
That may well be the case, but to be classed as Titleist it must say Titleist. When talking about VW cars, the assumption is VW badged cars, not Audi, Seat, Skoda,Lambourghini or Bentley:)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For an entire bag of clubs I'd go with Ping. They've always done excellent drivers, have some very playable irons. The wedges are perhaps their weakest area but they do have some decent putters in their range too. As they don't do balls I'd go for Titleist for those

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Srixon/Cleveland is one I forgot. Cleveland putters probably not highly regarded, Srixon making good strides with woods
Definitely produced some great irons in recent years and I think the Cleveland wedges give the Vokeys a good run. Not enamoured by Srixon/Cleveland woods or hybrids. The Cleveland putters do go under the radar a tad. Really like some of the Srixon balls especially the AD333 tour although not tried the Q-Star version yet

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Who cares, play what you are comfortable with and trust.

If that's Ping or Hogan or Wilson Staff then great. If it's Vega or Wishon as long as it works and you trust it that's all that matters.

sunshine

Visit site
That may well be the case, but to be classed as Titleist it must say Titleist. When talking about VW cars, the assumption is VW badged cars, not Audi, Seat, Skoda,Lambourghini or Bentley:)

Literally unable to read the post you are quoting or the Titleist badge on many Scotty putters :rolleyes: