Moral Support Required....

Sairamtim

Visit site
Hi guys,

First post on the forum. Please move thisbif it is in the wrong place.

Bit the bullet and decided to take up golf as a lot of my friends play. Had my first couple of 1 to 1 lessons and a couple of driving range sessions over the last couple of weeks and things really improved and I loved it. At the driving range last week was hitting it really well (relatively speaking).

Tonight’s lesson was a complete shambles and the range after was disaster too.

3 hours ago I was harboring visions of actually being competent in a relatively short space of time and actually being good.

Now I feel extremely despondent....
All thoughts and sympathy appreciated!

Thanks

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
welcome to the forum and the game that we love (and sometimes hate)

one thing youll learn pretty soon is that golf is difficult, youll have good days, bays and days where you wonder if youve ever played before!

learn the basics, try and work on making them feel as natural as possible then after that get out there and try and have fun, good or bad

jordan1987

Visit site
Hi guys,

Bit the bullet and decided to take up golf as a lot of my friends play. Had my first couple of 1 to 1 lessons and a couple of driving range sessions over the last couple of weeks and things really improved and I loved it. At the driving range last week was hitting it really well (relatively speaking).

3 hours ago I was harboring visions of actually being competent in a relatively short space of time and actually being good.

Thanks
That’s golf for you pal. Frustrating yet addictive.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to golf. It will forever be exactly as you describe. Seemingly huge breakthroughs, false dawns and major setbacks, often all within the same round. Enjoy.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse,don't get steamed up about your play/practise results...just try and enjoy any good shots because(as any one of us will tell you)this is the most machotistic game ever invented....scratch at the range/crap on the course...and what do we do????Why we keep going back for more!!!
Don't let the head go down,we've all been there ,seen it,done it(and are probably getting treatment for it),but we all go back because the next round will be THE ONE!

Jimbo

Sairamtim

Visit site
Thanks for all the reply’s guys. Naively I thought I was going to be an outlier with an unexpected talent but obviously it wasn’t to be.
Will try and keep my chin up!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and get tore in, you'll learn a lot on here.
First lesson, it's a well known fact that your best day/round of golf will usually be followed by your worst lot of :poop:, get used to it , you're not alone.(y)

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the reply’s guys. Naively I thought I was going to be an outlier with an unexpected talent but obviously it wasn’t to be.
Will try and keep my chin up!

You might well be! I’m a streaky golfer. Less streaky than I would like! Golfs so much more than your score. Keep having your lessons and you will get more confident. We all start somewhere.

dronfield

Visit site
Stick at it - the game is great but frustrating.

I remember after hitting a series of bad shots, saying to my playing partners that i thought those shots had gone from my game - one replied " they sometimes have a holiday, but they are always there!". Summed it up nicely.

Rich

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
39 yrs ago I first played with my Dad,6 yrs ago I took my now 12 yr old for his first rnd,a game for life,the best game! Enjoy and stick at it,it’s mystery is endless!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Welcome to golf, and what it does to you. You will have periods of euphoria and depths of despair. Don't take the depths of despair seriously, as you will come out the other side. Its a rollercoaster.

Think about it. If you have 50 balls and are 120yds from the practice green. Some of them will be close to the pin(euphoria). Some will be on the green(happy). Some will be near the green(disappointed), and some will be completely duffed(despair).

I play off 6. I still miss greens from that distance, and I will completely duff the odd shot too. That's golf.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even the professionals who have dedicated their lives to it never figure the game out. So don’t feel bad! It is worth sticking at because when you do nail that soaring approach to a few feet for a moment you’ll feel like the king of the world

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Golf is Stupid - Lesson 1

Now you've learned that, head up and keep going. What went wrong in the lesson and after? What was the pro teaching you and what was he doing to help when you were struggling. For me golf lessons whether you've been playing ages or are a beginner is a two way street and you need to be able to talk to the person teaching and articulate what you are feeling when it's not happening and they need to be able to explain what they are trying to get you to do and why and what the end result will be. If you go back to the range and struggle again, speak to the pro and say this. They won't be upset or offended. See if they can go over the point(s) again or give you a slightly different way to work on the change

The bad news is the range is only a very small part of it. Once you hit the course it becomes a lot harder still!

Stick around, get stuck in and ask any questions you like. No such things as a daft question (can't guarantee on here there's no such thing as a daft answer though)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

I reckon I played for about 18 months before I would have considered myself to even begin to be reasonably competent ie playing to a an approximate handicap of 18 and after nearly 40 years of playing I still hit shots during a round that make me look like a beginner (2 shanks and two duck hooks yesterday with two going straight OB over the river)

Sairamtim

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. Back at the range later this week.
I think I turned up expecting good things and keen to impress my coach with how I had developed. The worse I got the more I tried and it’s a vicious circle I suspect.
The main technical thing appeared to be I was trying to hit the ball and not rotate the body first.
Will hit the range with a clear head Thursday 👍

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks
Have a look in the “I played today” thread and you will see many established players have bad days.
There is no real reason it just happens sometimes.
New players do this more for obvious reasons .
But keep plugging away , golf is like anything else you will improve in time .
Your bad shots and good shots get closer together that’s when you know you are improving.
Set reasonable targets it’s not an easy game so don’t be to hard on yourself if you have a bad day.

Don’t have to many lessons in a short space of time as you need time to work on what your pro is telling you and to much info can get confusing.
Every two weeks is ok.