Modern day drivers....

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Wowsers !! Since returning I've used a mint R11s TM driver and on the odd occasion back to my 905 Titleist, well today I pegged it up with a new to me, 915D3 Titleist 9.5 driver and holy moly, easily 30 yards longer than the TM :mmm: I was lucky today it wasn't 30 yards further in the trees but these things are mental long, can I assume all the new stuff is like this ??

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Probably the frozen hard fairways you were moaning about in your 'winter golf is rubbish' thread :thup:

I was waiting on that :whoo: so let me explain something, on our 7th we have a ditch going the whole width of the fairway, out of range, I've driven in to it once, today I CARRIED the ditch by 20 yards. :thup:

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was waiting on that :whoo: so let me explain something, on our 7th we have a ditch going the whole width of the fairway, out of range, I've driven in to it once, today I CARRIED the ditch by 20 yards. :thup:

How far's the ditch, 150yds :rofl:

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
The difference between an R11s and a 915 wouldn't be anything if they were of the same spec to suit yourself. The distance increase will have come from the fact the 915 is a better fit. Centre face performance hasn't improved in about 6 years, it's just the performance across the rest of the face that's improved.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sorry but I'll have to disagree. I've hit some big drives down our 7th with my tm r11 but nothing like that today.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry but I'll have to disagree. I've hit some big drives down our 7th with my tm r11 but nothing like that today.

for the balls to travel 30 yards longer solely down to the driver head would mean that the titleist would have to produce more ball speed than the Taylormade. it doesn't!!!!! the r11s has the same COR as the titleist (which is how much energy the ball loses when it hits the face)

if your getting 30 yards more then it's down to strike, shaft, spin and loft. you wouldn't gain 30 yards if you put it against a taylormade r7. i hit my Taylor sldr 55 yards longer than my ping anser. that was down to the excess spin the ping was giving me

bottom line is the titleist just happens to be right for you. put them both in your playing partners hands and they could have completely different results
this is fact not opinion. still not convinced? follow the link
https://youtu.be/IHhy4M_Mm1I

Last edited:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That is a very interesting video but not a comparison to a TM R11, you are probably right that the Titleist is more suited to me that the TM, but a staggering carry increase over my R11.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is a very interesting video but not a comparison to a TM R11, you are probably right that the Titleist is more suited to me that the TM, but a staggering carry increase over my R11.

my taylormade sldr was a staggering increase over my ping anser but nothing to do with age or design of the club. in different hands tjd the ping answer is a beast of a driver