Modern 1 iron

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
During the Players the commentators seemed to focus in on some players starting to use 1 irons off the tee. Mainly DJ and Rory.

Now I know modern 1 irons aren't the butter knives they used to be and close to impossibly for us mortals to hit, so are they worth considering now ?

Anyone use one ?

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a taylormade UDI, buts it a 2 iron, can only think thats what Rory and Dj were using but could be wrong, they are not butter knives, easy to hit hybrid irons that go a great distance, very fond of mine!!
its the 18 deg I use, but they also, I believe did a 16 deg one (1 iron)

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a taylormade UDI, buts it a 2 iron, can only think thats what Rory and Dj were using but could be wrong, they are not butter knives, easy to hit hybrid irons that go a great distance, very fond of mine!!
its the 18 deg I use, but they also, I believe did a 16 deg one (1 iron)

Might be. They were saying it was a 1 iron, and they had graphite shafts in theirs from what I could see.

I was looking at the TM UDI and they do do a #1 iron version. Actually clubhouse have a deal on for £89, but lowest they have is a #2 iron.

Tempted to have a punt on it and see. I know sometimes my driver is a bit hit and miss. A driving iron could be useful, especially in the summer when you are getting a decent run-out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a Callaway Big Bertha 1 iron a few years ago. A bloke I worked with had it and couldn't get away with it. I struggled with a driver and thought it worth trying. When I got it right it was marvellous, good distance, piercing trajectory. Problem was the sweet spot was 3mm across. The advantage now is that tech has improved forgiveness and sweet spots. Worth a punt, if it doesn't work you will get close to your money back as there are not many out there and that should keep the value high.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might be. They were saying it was a 1 iron, and they had graphite shafts in theirs from what I could see.

I was looking at the TM UDI and they do do a #1 iron version. Actually clubhouse have a deal on for £89, but lowest they have is a #2 iron.

Tempted to have a punt on it and see. I know sometimes my driver is a bit hit and miss. A driving iron could be useful, especially in the summer when you are getting a decent run-out.

Did you have a punt on it? only 4 & 5 iron available now...

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a Srixon U45 2 iron. Its a real asset in the bag, can out drive most of my PP with it on a pure one.
A wind cheater & fairway finder, but word of warning. It can be a pain to judge roll out, even more so with the recent dry weather.

D

Deleted member 3432

I've got a Srixon U45 2 iron. Its a real asset in the bag, can out drive most of my PP with it on a pure one.
A wind cheater & fairway finder, but word of warning. It can be a pain to judge roll out, even more so with the recent dry weather.

I have the same club and it's a great piece of kit.

For any decent ball striker its a no brainer in when courses are dry and running or windy links tracks. They just hit penetrating lowish running shots and don't want to go left like a hybrid.

I only ever think about putting hybrid back in the bag when its wet and soggy and even then think nah, 2 iron all day.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've still got my Ping 1 iron from the 1980s.

Every now and then I take it out to the range but can't make any sense out of it.

Shame - used to play without woods when I was younger, and that thing went better than my driver nowadays. Mind you I can't hit a 4 iron either now 😣

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Every now and then I take it out to the range but can't make any sense out of it.

Shame - used to play without woods when I was younger, and that thing went better than my driver nowadays. Mind you I can't hit a 4 iron either now 😣

Try using the 'proper' side of the club! :whistle:

TBF. It's an age thing! I have no shame using a 27* hybrid as a replacement for a 5 iron these days - especially on the first hole!

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

I blame the modern low spinning ball.

To hit an old 1 iron well with today's ball you need a really fast clubhead speed, whereas the old balata ball took enough spin to climb for you.

I don't have a fast clubhead speed and even when I hit my Petron 1 iron well it doesn't climb but follows a low arc, it does get some serious run out though!