Mobile phones

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I usually buy my phones outright and use them for as long as possible.
I am currently using an iPhone 11, it’s starting to show its age or shall we say the apps are starting to stress it.

But I can’t see a massive difference in the 14,15 or 16 … and the cost is very similar.. usually it’s an easy decision but I am struggling.. any suggestion?

D-S

Visit site
I am currently using an iPhone 11, it’s starting to show its age or shall we say the apps are starting to stress it.

But I can’t see a massive difference in the 14,15 or 16 … and the cost is very similar.. usually it’s an easy decision but I am struggling.. any suggestion?
We do the same and went from iPhone X to 13 earlier this year as the newer ones didn’t offer anything more - we were looking for something which had a double sim for countries outside the EU which 13 has. For us they’re certainly good enough.

PaulMdj

Visit site

Wife just gone from Iphone 12 to 14S, I had an 11 and took her 12.

Straight away the 12 battery is better than the 11 snd the 14S is better than both, also the basic memory in the 14S was 128gb, twice what she had on the 12. Also the camera is better and screen slightly larger.

So far she is very pleased she upgraded, contract price actually dropped by £2.00 per month as well, which was another small bonus.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Wife just gone from Iphone 12 to 14S, I had an 11 and took her 12.

Straight away the 12 battery is better than the 11 snd the 14S is better than both, also the basic memory in the 14S was 128gb, twice what she had on the 12. Also the camera is better and screen slightly larger.

So far she is very pleased she upgraded, contract price actually dropped by £2.00 per month as well, which was another small bonus.
batteries deteriorate over time,so this will obviously be the case.
You can check this in your settings-battery-battery health.
👍🏻

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Yes we know, but also Apple improved the battery from 11 to 12 and then again to the 14.👍🏻
Yeah they’re always improving the battery,but not massively imo.
Just pointing out the improvements you saw was more down to battery health.
A brand new 11 will have a better battery than a 2yr old 13.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The cost of 14-15 £100 then 15-16 £100 .
I can get the battery sorted for £80 .. I wonder if I wait a bit more the the deficit between the models will get larger.

PaulMdj

Visit site
The cost of 14-15 £100 then 15-16 £100 .
I can get the battery sorted for £80 .. I wonder if I wait a bit more the the deficit between the models will get larger.
There’s a few comparison sites that can also show what has changed inside, processors etc.

For £20, if I understand that’s all the difference in phones v battery for you, the new phone will come with a years warranty, is that not worth considering?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s a few comparison sites that can also show what has changed inside, processors etc.

For £20, if I understand that’s all the difference in phones v battery for you, the new phone will come with a years warranty, is that not worth considering?
John Lewis price match but give 2 yrs .. you can buy longer .. but I think home insurance covers most stuff

Pin-seeker

Visit site
PS

I am not too technical. I have a 13 Pro and it has Maximum Capacity 87%. I am not a huge user. I expect this is OK for now. Any comments by you or anybody else would be appreciated
As long as the battery is good enough to last the day it’s ok,well that’s how I see it.
87% would be ok for me.
When it starts becoming a hassle it’s time for a new battery or phone.
Phones hardly improve now unless you’re replacing a 4-5 year model with the latest imo.
All the talk of the new models being faster is ok,but depends more on what coverage you’ve got🤷‍♂️.
And pretty sure the camera is good enough on a iPhone 13 to post a pic of your Nando’s on instagram 😂

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The camera stuff for me is pointless, it’s got to a level where frankly I don’t care. I want reception, battery life and a clear screen.. the pro models have changed to being the camera ones now.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
batteries deteriorate over time,so this will obviously be the case.
You can check this in your settings-battery-battery health.
👍🏻
Just as an aside to this, iOS18 lets you set the maximum charge limit to less than 100%. This prolongs the battery life. I have a 15 Plus and its set to 80% max charge, still more than enough to last the day.