Mobile phone insurance stitch up

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Got an IPhone 6S through EE which is easily the best mobile coverage for my area.

Dropped it and the screen glass went "Posh"

I pay £10 a month insurance as part of my 24 month contract and this is my first claim ever for a phone.

They want to charge an excess of £100 , on a phone that is worth £600 or so

Had to claim on Vodafone insurance for daughters phone a couple of years ago and the excess was £25 ok fair enough they have an excess to stop silly claims, but £100 is way too high.

So anyone had their iPhone 6 S repaired by Apple or a local place, ?
How much

Hacked off with EE

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems odd, have ee insurance on mine and the excess is only £25.00. cost is the same, £10 per month

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
If you are taking out specific phone insurance suggest you have a look at packaged bank/building society accounts. Your bank will provide such an account for a modest monthly fee and include various services often including phone insurance.

Mine costs £10 per month which includes phone insurance (and I have claimed twice without any hassle), travel insurance etc. I get a 50% deduction as I am staff, but wife pays £10 and her bank includes a free £250 overdraft and AA cover.

Cant see why people pay a similar premium just for phone insurance.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can get the screen repaired for about £60 at a non-Apple shop, don't know what Apple would charge but it will be lot more than your excess.

Do you not use a tempered glass screen protector? Well worth it at around a £1 a go.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dropped mine in the sink a few months ago. Totally killed it. Claimed through house insurance with zero excess.

There was something on TV recently about phone insurance policies being a total scam and totally unfair for the monthly costs/excess charges vs pay outs.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Have mine insured through bank.

Iphones are £100 others all £50. Generally resale on iPhones comsdierably higher, I'd imagine there are plenty of claims on the. Towards end of contracts so they can be resold for the highest price.

that said, never taken an insurance out and not known the excess, granted there are lots of terms, but that's a key one that would take seconds to find out.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not helpful now, but RBS black account is epic, it's £26 a month but 2 phones and iPad covered with £50 excess, family travel insurance, 10% discount on BA flights, airport lounge card, home emergency cover with zero excess and concierge for gigs etc.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
just checked the home insurance and there is a £200 excess on that,
local shop will charge £126, but they are not Apple authorised so bang goes my warranty

Looks like I'm stuffed like a big bird with the word "TURKEY" tattooed on my forehead.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just checked the home insurance and there is a £200 excess on that,
local shop will charge £126, but they are not Apple authorised so bang goes my warranty

Looks like I'm stuffed like a big bird with the word "TURKEY" tattooed on my forehead.

Is every down sarf so expensive? Only costs half that to get a new screen up here

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Becareful Phil as I have heard that non Apple screens can drain battery quicker. I don't understand it but I am sure you can research it

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The actual screen is fine, its the glass that covers the screen
Apple must make them by the million, its just profiteering

Brilliant phones,but complete rip off.
The new screen will cost them peanuts & itll take the geek 10mins to fit it.
But I suppose that's why they're a multi billion dollar company.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the digitiser and lcd usually come together as far as I recall, you can change then separately but it's tough to seal the gap between the two.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Got an IPhone 6S through EE which is easily the best mobile coverage for my area.

Dropped it and the screen glass went "Posh"

I pay £10 a month insurance as part of my 24 month contract and this is my first claim ever for a phone.

They want to charge an excess of £100 , on a phone that is worth £600 or so

Had to claim on Vodafone insurance for daughters phone a couple of years ago and the excess was £25 ok fair enough they have an excess to stop silly claims, but £100 is way too high.

So anyone had their iPhone 6 S repaired by Apple or a local place, ?
How much

Hacked off with EE

It's not like EE wouldn't have highlighted the excess to you either when taking it out or in their T&C's.

I've had the joys of working in a call centre and it's frustrating when people complain about the excess yet voluntarily took the insurance out.

You'd sure as anything compare the excesses on your car so why not on an expensive phone?