Insurance claim advice.

eddie_1878

Visit site
I managed to smash my iPad screen a few weeks ago. Put in a claim for repair/replacement on the contents insurance, as accidental damage. Insurer outsourced the claim to another company (which I thought was strange) who’ve carried out a check on the device & said they can repair it. Great news right? No.

They said the repair cost for a new screen was £120, only £20 more than my excess. This sounded alarm bells as these screens aren’t cheap, unless you get them replaced at a high street phone repair shop, which is what I suspect this company is trying to do.

I challenged them on this as I don’t want my premium product being fitted with knock-off parts you’d find on eBay. They’ve admitted the screen isn’t from apple but are insisting it’s an OEM part and will be equivalent standard- I don’t believe this for a second given apple parts are only available to apple and their affiliates.

I said I want an apple part and an apple store/affiliate to repair it. They’ve said no and that I have to accept the repair as they’ve offered or take the broken iPad back and close the claim!

Am I going crazy here or should I be able to insist my device is repaired with an apple part, from apple, by apple!?

My main concern is the quality of this replacement screen, will it last, will it break easily etc. Secondly, apple will not touch any device which has been repaired by a non-apple approved store. So if I have issues in future, it leaves me without that option.

Any advice on where I stand here, please?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
What does the small print in your policy say? I know certain motorcycle insurers repair bikes with second hand parts, so what is happening here doesn't surprise me & is probably covered in their T's & C's.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your insurer is offering to put your iPad back into a good condition, that’s good enough. Apple don’t make the glass they use so whoever they use to make the glass will be supplying the same glass to other companies.Just because the glass comes from a different end supplier doesn’t make it lesser, just cheaper as we all know how much companies like Apple inflate their prices.