Tyre pressure sensors.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anybody having or had problems with them.

I recently had a puncture repaired, (screw in tread). The warning light stayed on despite going in to menu and resetting.
Went back to tyre company and was told that a new one would be approx. £80! So I ordered a pack of four online for £30. Big mistake!
Tyre company put the new one in and they said that their hand held device could not par new sensor. So they ordered a Ford one (Fiesta).
They tried again today and still couldn't do it and was advised to go to a Ford dealer. Taking it in next Thursday so fingers crossed all will be fixed.
Anybody had any similar problems?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the only time I have had this type of sensor was on a hire car.

The pressures needed to be unbelievably precise to stop the warning (Hyundai IONIQ)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The hot weather is playing havoc with these and also brake pad warnings at the mo

Check the tyres, if they are ok then don’t do anything for a week until the temps have fallen.

👍

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
The hot weather is playing havoc with these and also brake pad warnings at the mo

Check the tyres, if they are ok then don’t do anything for a week until the temps have fallen.

👍
No, it's nothing to do with temperature in this case. It was about a month ago when tyre was repaired, so more wet than warm.
But thanks for your thoughts.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Two of mine are stuck to the valves and they are both slowly leaking. Means I have to pump my tyres up about every 10 days and no point in trying to repair them

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Two of mine are stuck to the valves and they are both slowly leaking. Means I have to pump my tyres up about every 10 days and no point in trying to repair them
Why not? Seems a bit of a faff to have to do that every 10 days.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Why not? Seems a bit of a faff to have to do that every 10 days.

My local garage had my car for a whole day and said that the sensors and valves were so corroded together that they couldn't separate them. Also that the sensors would have to be set up on the computer system so they'd have to buy genuine Nissan ones which would be quite expensive. - not too sure about it so just pop air in when I need to

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My local garage had my car for a whole day and said that the sensors and valves were so corroded together that they couldn't separate them. Also that the sensors would have to be set up on the computer system so they'd have to buy genuine Nissan ones which would be quite expensive. - not too sure about it so just pop air in when I need to
Surely that’s the valve stem that they are talking about? The valve is inside the valve stem and screws out, it’s changed every three change usually.

If the valve stem itself is leaking then my advice would be get it changed as that could present a danger of catastrophic failure.

If all four are leaking simultaneously, I would definitely be looking at getting them changed.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Surely that’s the valve stem that they are talking about? The valve is inside the valve stem and screws out, it’s changed every three change usually.

If the valve stem itself is leaking then my advice would be get it changed as that could present a danger of catastrophic failure.

If all four are leaking simultaneously, I would definitely be looking at getting them changed.
Sounds like a blowout waiting to happen!

It does baffle me why someone would knowingly drive a car that has a problem with one tyre, let alone all four.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Daughter has same issue with her VW Polo. Prior to us driving the 175miles up to MiLs we checked pressure of her tyres yesterday and each required a little (a couple of PSI) air. A couple of hours driving later the tyre pressure warning light comes on. She says this happens every time she travels any distance even though the tyres are fully inflated. She simply resets it. Not good a sensor ‘crying wolf’, if that’s what it is doing.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a blowout waiting to happen!

It does baffle me why someone would knowingly drive a car that has a problem with one tyre, let alone all four.
Indeed.

I recently did drive on a bodge job using a silicon epoxy resin to seal around a screw so I could get to the garage to get my tyre replaced.

Only reason I contemplated it was it was a run flat and it was now holding pressure for the 4 mile journey.

Knowing that it was there made me very cautious and I didn’t go above 30 any of the journey also avoiding as many road defects as possible.

I knew that the run flat would operate if the bodge failed and for that reason wouldn’t do it on a non RFT.

Knowing there was a problem with all 4 though… I wouldn’t even think about it until I knew it was fixed.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Indeed.

I recently did drive on a bodge job using a silicon epoxy resin to seal around a screw so I could get to the garage to get my tyre replaced.

Only reason I contemplated it was it was a run flat and it was now holding pressure for the 4 mile journey.

Knowing that it was there made me very cautious and I didn’t go above 30 any of the journey also avoiding as many road defects as possible.

I knew that the run flat would operate if the bodge failed and for that reason wouldn’t do it on a non RFT.

Knowing there was a problem with all 4 though… I wouldn’t even think about it until I knew it was fixed.
Yeah I drive a hot hatch and would never drive knowing a tyre had an issue. I'd never drive any car with a tyre problem to be fair.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is why I'm persevering with it. I never like to take chances with tyres.
Although you can sometimes visibly see if a tyre needs air but it's surprising when sensor comes on and you don't know which tyre is actually down on pressure. Until you go round and find one of then is down 5 - 10 psi.
They're a good safety feature and we'll worth having.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chris, I would say that there is no price too high where safety is concerned. Also, surely it would be an Mot failure?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I drive a hot hatch and would never drive knowing a tyre had an issue. I'd never drive any car with a tyre problem to be fair.
Not sure the type of car is relevant, in my case it was just a family cruiser coupe but I had to get it to the garage as I couldn’t remove the wheel and unlike urban sprawls, we don’t have a mobile fitter.

I risk assessed it to the most I could and only accepted that risk knowing it was a RFT and would take the load should the pressure drop again.

But short distance and a full replacement is very different to knowing your valves are faulty and are leaking air consistently but continuing to drive without repair.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Chris, I would say that there is no price too high where safety is concerned. Also, surely it would be an Mot failure?
Nope, passed no problem. It has a slight leak and loses about 2 to 3 psi over 10 days to 2 weeks. All 4 sensors work and I probably check the tyre pressures more regularly then most other drivers

Last edited:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just an update on the offending sensor.
Droppd car off at 8.30, went for a walk around town, grabbed a coffee. Was getting a bit bored so took a leisurely walk back to garage
Mechanic said "All done sir, pop in to office and they will give you the invoice".
£69 later and jobs a good un. A bit pricey but peace of mind is more important.

Oh, and done a few miles and no sign of a tyre pressure warning light. 👍

D

Deleted member 1147

My advisory sensor goes off when the temperature drops over night.
So the pressure drops.