Moaning at Golf Clubs

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We all know that some golf club members like to moan but what I heard this morning was unbelievable.

As many will know, we don't have booked tee times at RAGC except for the monthly medal and stableford. Basically the 1st is booked from 8 to 10 for the mens comps and the 10th from 945 to 1145 to allow for the comp to get away without delay on the 10th tee. After that the womens comp has an hour of booked tee times. Once they've gone it is back to the usual rollup times. There is usually a few groups waiting to play the comp in rollup groups after the women but agter 1230 it usually clear. The medal and s'ford alternate between Saturday and Sunday each so one Saturday and one Sunday each month the tee is booked.

I was first out this morning in the s'ford and the 3rd member of our group didn't show so my partner and I skipped round in just over 3 hours.

When I got to the clubouse there was a group waiting in the bar moaning that they couldn't get a game and that it was ridiculous that they couldn't get on the course. I'm not quite sure what their gripe was, they new the comp was on and they know how it works.

Anyhow, after 45 minutes of listening to them moaning that they don't see how they will get a game today because it was so busy and how ridiculous it was that the comp tee times were booked and how the members who can't play in the week (like me) can't get a game at weekends when there is a comp on, I left as I had work to do. As I drove out of the car park at 1205 there was a group just leaving the first tee - and no-one else waiting, anywhere. The only people who wanted to play were the ones in the clubhouse moaning that it was too busy to get a game :confused:

Part of me wanted to go back in the clubhouse and tell them to get their moaning arses out onto the tee and have a game of golf, but I couldn't be bothered.

Do people actually like moaning just for the sake of it?

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really dont get it! With some people it seems there is nothing in the middle either... The smallest thing and they're off.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some folk are only happy when they've got something to be unhappy about.

I usually laugh at them but feel sorry for staff at clubs/wherever who get it in the neck and have to take it in the line of duty.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It isn't as though the club doesn't tell you in advance. There is a dirty great board outside the entrance to the locker room, start times posted on the noticeboard inside and on the website and they send an e-mail alert every month to tell you what fixtures are on.

My only thought on this is that it could be new members who haven't quite got to grips with how it all works yet but common sense would say have a word in the pro shop and find out when the tee was likely to be free and then go out. As Hawkeye says the tee was free and to be honest on comp days at Ascot the course tends to be millionairres golf in the afternoons so they would have had the place to themselves

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems to me that a) they should know when tees are reserved and B) if they want to play at a certain time why dont they enter the competitions?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It isn't as though the club doesn't tell you in advance. There is a dirty great board outside the entrance to the locker room, start times posted on the noticeboard inside and on the website and they send an e-mail alert every month to tell you what fixtures are on.

My only thought on this is that it could be new members who haven't quite got to grips with how it all works yet but common sense would say have a word in the pro shop and find out when the tee was likely to be free and then go out. As Hawkeye says the tee was free and to be honest on comp days at Ascot the course tends to be millionairres golf in the afternoons so they would have had the place to themselves

These weren't new members Homer, one of them was an ex-captain. They knew the comp was on, which is why I couldn't understand what their gripe was.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Once upon a time, in a galaxy far far away... members rarely moaned. Conversely if you put up a sheet asking for a divoting party you'd get more helpers than buckets.

Coincidently, I was thinking only the other day that every time I go into the club these days I get some 'expert' coming up to me and telling me "we should be doing..." The down side of having so many 'experts' is the danger of missing a good suggestion because of glazing over every time someone starts a moan.

Anyway, only 6mths to go then, after nearly 20 yrs, I'll just be one of the moaners - had enough.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

These weren't new members Homer, one of them was an ex-captain. They knew the comp was on, which is why I couldn't understand what their gripe was.

Spoke with the VC at the match today. Seems to be something to do with a new rule introducing a gap between the end of the mens comp times of an hour to allow some of those wanting to play social golf to get out in the morning. After that the womens comp had the tee time booked and you could then all go out either in the roll up for the comp or for a friendly knock.

It seems that this golden hour got mobbed and they couldn't get out before the womens comp. Cue much angst and consternation as the women went to the front (rightly) and left a lot of angry men didn't like having to play second fiddle to the ladies and have to follow them. It seems words were exchanged they stropped off and when they came back the normal big greedie that roll up and go off had paid their entry money for the comp and rocked up onto the first tee.

Clearly the VC has only heard this 2nd hand and I only got his version so I don't know the full ins and outs but it seems that this "golden hour" to try and get social golfers away is the issue and going to cause problems. My argument is that you know full well that the tees are booked and if you are a regular you know when the roll up goes out as its always the same time. Either enter the comp and guarantee a time, join the roll up whether you want to play the comp or not or if you really want to play specifically with your mates, go out later when you know the course is emptier. Doesn't take much working out surely

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Spoke with the VC at the match today. Seems to be something to do with a new rule introducing a gap between the end of the mens comp times of an hour to allow some of those wanting to play social golf to get out in the morning. After that the womens comp had the tee time booked and you could then all go out either in the roll up for the comp or for a friendly knock.

It seems that this golden hour got mobbed and they couldn't get out before the womens comp. Cue much angst and consternation as the women went to the front (rightly) and left a lot of angry men didn't like having to play second fiddle to the ladies and have to follow them. It seems words were exchanged they stropped off and when they came back the normal big greedie that roll up and go off had paid their entry money for the comp and rocked up onto the first tee.

Clearly the VC has only heard this 2nd hand and I only got his version so I don't know the full ins and outs but it seems that this "golden hour" to try and get social golfers away is the issue and going to cause problems. My argument is that you know full well that the tees are booked and if you are a regular you know when the roll up goes out as its always the same time. Either enter the comp and guarantee a time, join the roll up whether you want to play the comp or not or if you really want to play specifically with your mates, go out later when you know the course is emptier. Doesn't take much working out surely

Wouldn't it all be solved with tee booking at busy times...?