Mizuno factory fitting

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I have just booked a factory fitting with Mizuno in New Malden for early December, will some one who's done it tell me about it please,

Chris

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't done it myself (I'm nearly old enough to start saving up my pension for some Pings :)

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/media/mediacentre.php?c0=videos&c1=products&id=347&w=644

Can't say if this is representative of what will happen though. I think that Smiffy went through the process and bought a set only to go on and buy some Pings. He is though trying to sell his MD clubs which are apparently the best clubs he's ever had
:D :D :D

:p :p

D

Deleted member 3432

I wrote a review of my fitting session at the Glasgow centre a few weeks back in the post a review section. Don't know how to do the linky thing, so have a look in that section.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I read both the review and saw the video... many thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I am really looking forward to going
As a 57 year old should I be going to Ping like the other old farts .... mmmmmm (Smiffy) mmmmm

Chris

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hopefully I won't put you off but I see these fittings as a licence to print money. I think they see you as £700 walking in the door and don't spend enough time letting you try out different club/shaft combinations. In the vid it was like they wanted to get a hybrid and a wedge in the bag as quickly as possible. I see the benefits of being fit properly (eg: if they tell you your clubs should be 1/2" longer) but not necessarily the hasty purchase.

my 2 cents.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hopefully I won't put you off but I see these fittings as a licence to print money. I think they see you as £700 walking in the door and don't spend enough time letting you try out different club/shaft combinations. In the vid it was like they wanted to get a hybrid and a wedge in the bag as quickly as possible. I see the benefits of being fit properly (eg: if they tell you your clubs should be 1/2" longer) but not necessarily the hasty purchase.

my 2 cents.

I quite understand James. I think that the video is very edited though as I believe the actual fitting to last about an hour and the benefit of the factory fit is that they use trackman as opposed to my local Pro who would do it by eye

I would probably only go for irons as I am happy with my other clubs but if time allows I might just see what they recommend through the bag

Thanks for your input

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have just booked a factory fitting with Mizuno in New Malden for early December, will some one who's done it tell me about it please,

Went to New Malden last year for a fitting for new irons. Takes up to 1.5 hours, and at the end there is no pressure to buy. The shop below the range is expensive so be warned. I took my specs to Nevada Bobs in Farnborough, and got a good deal on my MP52's.Over £100 less than New Malden shop.

Also got some freebies and a voucher for a putter which i got for £50 and flogged on ebay for £100 ! Fully recommend.

Chris

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

my 2 cents.

The Mizuno fitting is thorough and unhurried, and they give you a prescription which you can choose to get filled anywhere you like, or not at all. When I was there, it took almost an hour. No pressure to buy at all.

Geting the club 1/2" over is probably one of the less important aspects.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not used it but know HTL got hs Mizzy's fitted there and loved the experience. Several guys at our club have used it too. Very professional and friendly staff and you'll have a great time. However as Richart says, the best thing to do is to take the specs and swing data away and shop around. The store attached to the range is very expensive and for the footage not greatly stocked.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had my fitting session at Oxford. I was able to try AP2's, R9's, TP's and the MIzzy range. I settles on the MP58's as being the best. Session was about an hour and a bit, no pressure to buy but I did anyway!
Thoroughly enjoyed it and would do it again.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks to you all for your comments - I did a testing for a rival mag of rescue clubs at the Belfry using Trackman and really enjoyed it - I am sure this will be great too!

Chris

lucan

Club Champion
Visit site
it is wll worth going there is no pressure to buy you will get a copy of your requred specs to take away.
i have been fitted there myself for a set of irons best clubs i have ever used.
plus there is no charge unless you book through direect golf who charged me 25 pound telling me mizuno have started to charge that is one golf shop i will never use again

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mizuno operated National Fitting Centres (Surrey, Wrexham and Cumbernauld) do not charge for fittings.

Regional Centres are franchised and operated by local golf shops, and they may make a charge. The place in Oxford mentioned above is one of those.

Again haven't been myself as i am a TM man but two guys from my club have been to the one at Wrexham and they say its superb. They have loads of patience and spend ages making sure you get the right clubs and shafts. (even down to how much tape you should have under your grips and of course choice of grips)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I went to New Malden at the beginning of 2009 to get fitted for my MX200's.
The guy introduced himself to me and gave me a bucket of balls to loosen up on the range and after about 15 minutes or so moved me over to his fitting bay mat. He then took some "static" measurements to confirm that I did indeed need regular length shafts and standard grips.
He then asked me to hit a few shots with my current 6 iron. Using his electronic equipment (don't know the technical names for it all) he assessed my swing speed, ball speed/spin, trajectory and distribution. He then asked me which irons I was interested in and he agreed with my choice of MX200's based on his findings. I was using graphite shafts in my old clubs but by trying out 3 or 4 different shafts that he had available for the 200's (including Mizuno's own graphite) we discovered that the best results were achieved using Nippon regular steel shafts. The distribution was better with a slight improvement on distance and trajectory.
Once we had confirmed the shaft choice, he then got me to hit a few balls from a strike mat to find out whether I needed to have the lie of the clubs adjusted. The results showed that I was hitting the strike mat slightly towards the heel of the club so he adjusted them 1 degree at a time to finally get me striking the mat more centrally on the club sole. I think we determined from this that I needed my clubs 2 degrees flatter than standard. He then gave me the newly adjusted club back and asked me to hit a few more shots of the regular mat with it and this certainly did lead to me hitting the ball better than I was.
After the fitting, he wrote out my "prescription" which showed the recommendations. There was no pressure at all to buy on the day, it was all very laid back, and he gave me a nice couple of "freebies" to go away with. I was then free to order my clubs from where I liked. I didn't have to make any promises to buy, I could have walked straight out of there and purchased a set of Wilsons from the big retailers located downstairs if I had wanted to!
So a few days later I shopped around for the best price and ordered my MX200's with Nippon 950 shafts, standard grips and two degrees flat.
They arrived within a week.
I sold them a year later 'cos I couldn't get on with them... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Smiffy for the detailed synopsis which was very interesting

Just have to ask why though if the clubs were your exact specification did they not suit you a year later?

Chris

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks Smiffy for the detailed synopsis which was very interesting

Just have to ask why though if the clubs were your exact specification did they not suit you a year later?
Chris

Really don't know Chris. Weird one that. I loved the look of them but didn't really get on with them, even from day one. There wasn't a single game that I played with them that I thought they were better than what I had been using before..which had been a set of cheap, off the peg John Letters Trilogy.
I sold the 200's earlier this year and bought my current i15's. Fell in love with them the minute I picked one up in the pro shop, and decided not to go the custom route this time. Standard/regular everything. I know I am going to get the piss ripped out of me, but I've hit shots with these that I know I would never have hit with the Mizzies.
I've also hit a lot of shots with them that I know I could have done with a hockey stick. But it's the good shots you tend to remember most of all and I hit more good shots with these than the Mizunos.
And I still don't swallow the forged versus cast crap. When I flush one of these babies, I don't even feel it. And they spin up better than the Mizzies too.
;)

griffgolf

Head Pro
Visit site
I contacted the Wrexham fitting centre which is based at Clays at Wrexham and they told me they charge £20 for the fitting.

Their website says it is free !!!!