Mixed competitions under WHS

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
This may have been covered before, if so, apologies.

After November, courses have been rated and new handicap indexes have been dished out, so ....

In a mixed stableford competition
A man plays off white tees - course rating 69, slope 120, so Handicap Index of (say)18 is adjusted to course handicap of 19
A woman plays off red tees - course rating 72, slope 124, so Handicap index of (say) 15 is adjusted to course handicap of 17

Man scores 35 points and woman scores 36. Under WHS is it equitable to simply to take these scores as is, and therefore the woman is the winner. Or is there some other adjustment that's necessary?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Once the adjustment has been made that's the handicap you play off. The person scoring 36 points would beat the person scoring 35.
I dont believe that's correct, you would also need to adjust for any difference between Par and course rating from.the tee's played, just as you would under CONGU.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you are both correct and both wrong - at least that's my reading of how it works in the EGA system which should give a good idea of how WHS will work:

Stroke Play (Medal) and Match Play Competitions
This means that, in stroke play (medal) and match play handicap competitions, when players compete in the same competition but play from different tees, each with a different Par, the players playing from the set of tees with the higher Par receive additional strokes equal to the Par difference. First, the playing handicap should be determined and then the additional strokes are added to the playing handicap of the player(s) playing from the tees with the higher Par.

Bogey, Par and Stableford Competitions
In these formats, when players compete in the same competition but play from different tees with a different Par, no extra adjustment for the difference in Pars will be applied to their playing handicaps since the formula of the playing handicap (see Clause 3.9.3) compensates for that difference.
No handicap adjustments will be applied for Bogey, Par and Stableford competitions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My understanding of the WHS is that shooting 36 points is playing to handicap regardless of the tee used provided that tee is rated for the appropriate sex.

So the lady with 36 points beats the man with 35 points.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you are both correct and both wrong - at least that's my reading of how it works in the EGA system which should give a good idea of how WHS will work:
I don't know if you are referring to the old EGA system or the WHS implementation for EGA affiliated countries in Europe. However, neither apply to CONGU. CONGU does not use par in the Course Handicap calculation.

Stroke Play formats:
In circumstances where play is from two or more sets of tees (such as mixed gender or mixed ability events). those playing from tees with higher Course Ratings must receive additional strokes for the round, equal to the difference between the Course Rating of the tees they are playing and the tees with the lowest Course Rating.
The additional strokes are added to the player's Playing Handicap as follows:

Playing Handicap = (Course Handicap x handicap allowance) + ( difference in Course Ratings)

Stableford formats:
The number of points required for all players to play to handicap must be calculated from each applicable set of tees. Those players with the highest number of target points to play to handicap receive no additional strokes. All players playing from tees with a lower target number of points will receive additional strokes equal to the difference in their target points required to play to handicap.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Playing Handicap = (Course Handicap x handicap allowance) + ( difference in Course Ratings)

Thanks Rulefan. Can you clarify where and in which order rounding takes place in the formula?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm afraid it's not clear. The only thing I can find is "The calculated Playing Handicap is rounded to the nearest integer."

The implication being that all base figures are expressed and used as decimals. But I will attempt to find out

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm afraid it's not clear. The only thing I can find is "The calculated Playing Handicap is rounded to the nearest integer."

The implication being that all base figures are expressed and used as decimals. But I will attempt to find out

Thanks, I guess it will become clearer by the time it is needed.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I realise I neglected to mention that in my example the men's white tees are CR 69, Par 69, and ladies red tees are CR 72, par 72. So presumably men & ladies both have to score 36 point to be level h/c? Does that alter anything as regards my original query.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know if you are referring to the old EGA system or the WHS implementation for EGA affiliated countries in Europe. However, neither apply to CONGU. CONGU does not use par in the Course Handicap calculation.

Stroke Play formats:
In circumstances where play is from two or more sets of tees (such as mixed gender or mixed ability events). those playing from tees with higher Course Ratings must receive additional strokes for the round, equal to the difference between the Course Rating of the tees they are playing and the tees with the lowest Course Rating.

Stableford formats:
The number of points required for all players to play to handicap must be calculated from each applicable set of tees. Those players with the highest number of target points to play to handicap receive no additional strokes. All players playing from tees with a lower target number of points will receive additional strokes equal to the difference in their target points required to play to handicap.

I was referring to the EGA system as detailed in the current Handicapmaster manual. Has EGA already gone WHS?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I realise I neglected to mention that in my example the men's white tees are CR 69, Par 69, and ladies red tees are CR 72, par 72. So presumably men & ladies both have to score 36 point to be level h/c? Does that alter anything as regards my original query.

Not with my reply #5 which was 36 points is playing to handicap under the WHS.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That is my understanding and what I have said in my brief to the members.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
England Golf have now published their version of the WHS rules of handicapping and I am completely baffled by the rule to calculate playing handicaps for mixed tee, 18 hole stableford. It's rule 6.2bii,

Stableford formats
For an 18-hole round: The number of points required for all players to ‘play to handicap’ must be calculated from each applicable set of tees.
o Those players requiring the highest number of points to ‘play to handicap’ receive no additional strokes to the standard calculation of their Playing Handicap.
o All players playing from a set of tees requiring a lower number of points to ‘play to handicap’ will receive additional strokes to their Playing Handicap equal to the difference between the number of points they require to ‘play to handicap’ and the highest number of points required by other players.

So, for example, with gents yellow tees with par/course/slope of 69/68/120 and ladies red at 70/70/123 and both myself and my wife having a handicap index of 19.0, our rounded course handicaps would be 19.0 * 120/113 = 20 and 19.0 * 123/113 = 21.

Assuming no competition handicap allowance, I have no idea how to turn the above rules of handicapping text into a calculation to adjust one of the handicaps.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My understanding of the WHS is that shooting 36 points is playing to handicap regardless of the tee used provided that tee is rated for the appropriate sex.

I have since learnt that this is incorrect information.

Any person of any sex playing in the same competition with players of the other sex may need course adjustment shots depending on the Course ratings of the tees being being used.

The method of adjustment can be foud in The Rules of Handicapping 6.2b

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe for the time being, just write gross score down and let the computer work it out ??‍♂️

The computer will not work it out.

Course adjustment Shots have always been applied manually.

It is the sort of thing worked out by a committee in charge of a competition and declared before the start of a competition.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Hi @jim8flog I posted the text from rule 6.2b, "England Golf have now published their version of the WHS rules of handicapping and I am completely baffled by the rule to calculate playing handicaps for mixed tee, 18 hole stableford. It's rule 6.2bii, ...". See my first message for the text.

The problem is that I do not understand how to translate that verbiage into a number! See example that I specified in my first message.

I already have a WHS in South Africa. In their version of the WHS, they already adjust for par and course rating in the course handicap so it is not neccessary to jump through these arithmetic hoops to calculate mixed tee playing handicaps. Strangely, in the English version, they do this for 9 hole course handicaps but not for 18 hole course handicaps.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
England Golf have now published their version of the WHS rules of handicapping and I am completely baffled by the rule to calculate playing handicaps for mixed tee, 18 hole stableford. It's rule 6.2bii,

Stableford formats
For an 18-hole round: The number of points required for all players to ‘play to handicap’ must be calculated from each applicable set of tees.
o Those players requiring the highest number of points to ‘play to handicap’ receive no additional strokes to the standard calculation of their Playing Handicap.
o All players playing from a set of tees requiring a lower number of points to ‘play to handicap’ will receive additional strokes to their Playing Handicap equal to the difference between the number of points they require to ‘play to handicap’ and the highest number of points required by other players.

So, for example, with gents yellow tees with par/course/slope of 69/68/120 and ladies red at 70/70/123 and both myself and my wife having a handicap index of 19.0, our rounded course handicaps would be 19.0 * 120/113 = 20 and 19.0 * 123/113 = 21.

Assuming no competition handicap allowance, I have no idea how to turn the above rules of handicapping text into a calculation to adjust one of the handicaps.

Taking the first bit first you have to compare the par to the course rating to work out what is required to play to handicap (same as now but you currently compare par to the SSS)
The lady playing to handicap needs to score 36 points because the par and the course rating are the same
The man playing to handicap needs to score 37 points because the course rating is one less than the par

So the lady gets one shot extra to her playing handicap for parity