Mis-hitting chip shots

Bassfisher

Visit site
Pls bear with me I’m a high handicapper , recently I’ve been practicing a lot with an old and cheap 60 degree wedge, it was going really well,- until yesterday 3 times from 20 yards when hitting the ball it shot off low to the right, at about 2 o’clock direction ( if 12 o’clock is straight)
I’d like to understand why this happens so that I can prevent it ?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find if i get to 'armsy' and don't rotate through with my body it leads to this kind of shot. Usually on short distance where I think I can just use the arms to get the ball on green. I suggest concentrating on playing a normal type of chip, just with a shorter backswing and follow through. Don't be tempted to slow a fuller swing, leads to all sorts of issues. Or you can use a 8 iron or similar to run the ball to the green - providing nothing untoward is in the way ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You have discovered ''the shank'' where the bottom of the shaft hits the ball instead of the clubface. Just move an inch or so away from the ball and you should be fine.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You have discovered ''the shank'' where the bottom of the shaft hits the ball instead of the clubface. Just move an inch or so away from the ball and you should be fine.
Bob..I get this occasionally and I "feel" like I'm swinging the club back behind me too much...would that be a reason.?
Can't stop myself mid swing though...:rolleyes:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob..I get this occasionally and I "feel" like I'm swinging the club back behind me too much...would that be a reason.?
Can't stop myself mid swing though...:rolleyes:

Most definitely.
Imagine brushing the grass on the way straight back for the first 12-18 inches

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pls bear with me I’m a high handicapper , recently I’ve been practicing a lot with an old and cheap 60 degree wedge, it was going really well,- until yesterday 3 times from 20 yards when hitting the ball it shot off low to the right, at about 2 o’clock direction ( if 12 o’clock is straight)
I’d like to understand why this happens so that I can prevent it ?

I normally get this when I look up to early or do not stay still enough on the shot, often it is similar to IMurg taking the club back on the wrong swing plane and rolling the club open and failing to close it back again on the down swing.

Bassfisher

Visit site
I’ve since followed your advice, it’s part of my pre shot routine now , I find that almost always I’m too close, so I move back a touch and haven’t shanked since ! Thank you Bob !