Mini Cooper D Clubman

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jap rubbish.

You can't beat spending the money on a german car.

And then spending more money on it.

And more.

Until it is like ripping up £50 pound notes, and throwing them into a big hole.

I don't know how to take this!!? :D

All I can say is that "certain" German makes are so costly that you can roll your £10 havanas up in £20 notes and not notice you're throwing your money away.

I bought a Mitsubishi for 30% of the new price and the 3 year warranty wasn't even up. Aside from the front suspension (which I did myself, only for them to be re-called) it's only cost me one coil pack from new. Under £50!

My Beamer, on the other hand, has had endless things replaced...but hardly unreasonable...

My (ex) 1988 Celica is still running around the town. It's had a radiator, 2 window regulators, 1 set of dampers and 2 thermosats.....that's it...... My 1994 (ex) Honda Accord has had the total of one alternator refurb. If anyone can beat these, I want to hear!! :cool:

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I am in the german camp having run passats to 300k, a mercedes e300d to over 700k and currently have a c-class kompressor and a vw passat. I have had an audi s6, mercedes sel500 and a s600, all of which were bomb-proof.

I am hopefully going to buy myself an old e250 diesel tomorrow also.

That said, I have had 2 celicas of my own, both indestructible even in my boy racer days, I have had an avensis, mr2 and a shogun. All of which were excellent.

As for BMW's, I wouldnt have one if you paid me to drive it, the only exceptions are the M3 EVO (had one), the M5 and the 850.

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My boss is a BMW nut. He has X5, X6,Z4,540d tourer and 320d saloon (wife & kids) and he absolutely loves them. The X5 is about 18 months old and is always in the garage with electronic problems.
Not my favourite German cars but as with all things you pays your money and take your choice.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 1994 (ex) Honda Accord has had the total of one alternator refurb. If anyone can beat these, I want to hear!! :cool:

Now going a little off topic but...

Can't beat a 1994 Accord but my '98 Accord coupe has had a few sets of new front tyres and brake pads (well to be fair it is the 3ltr coupe with 130K on the clock) and, oh yes, I did have to replace the battery after 8 years. Still on original exhaust, would you believe!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have had 6 3 series in a row, all money pits, and then the Z3M coupe (which bleeds money like nothing I have ever seen, makes my mates 10 year old Maserati look like a sensible option). Trouble is, Mrs Mog loves her BMWs.

Me, Merc every time. Cheapest car to run I have ever owned.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it was on top gear a couple of years ago that Honda had made over 1 million V-tec engines and NEVER had one returned that didn't work. That is some going.

I beleive statstically LEXUS are the most reliable cars on the road.

German cars are as MWJ puts it, Bomb proof, anything from VAG is normally pretty good IMO.

Gotta say, I am not a BMW fan, never have been. The interior is 20 years out of date.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I not a big lexus fan.

They are nice enough when newish and reliability is absolutely awesome but once they do a bit of leg, they feel loose, rattly and just tired.

I have had this with IS200, GS300 and LS400 models I have had.

I always wanted an IS200 as my dad had one when they 1st came out and when I drove it, I loved it. However we have sold a couple of used ones and they killed my love of them stone-dead as once they are up at 60k, they start to go a bit pony and feel no better than a tired old avensis.

I make exactly the same comment as Tony on BMW's, they have used almost the same dials for 30 years!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But when you have had them for ages, that is reassuringly familiar.

What isn't so reassuring is continually putting suspension bushes into them, because they only last a couple of weeks.

Along with being told the boot lid is a styling feature and the reason why the lock, striker, and heated rear screen have each failed, seperately in the space of a month is because we have been opening it, when it isn't there for that purpose.

Also not reassuring is having the Vanos unit go bang, at a cost of 2500, dumping all the oil out onto the M25.

Or having the gear box rebuilt. Twice.

Or having the boot floor rust. Or the drivers seat rails replaced at 750 the pair, or the passenger footwell fill up with water, or an engine which won't stop revving when you take your foot off the accelerator.

But more than anything else, was when the warranty (which was good), got farmed out to a third party, and the cost went up from 800 plus 50 excess per year, to 2500 with 1200 excess. Having a laugh. The only reason to pay 500, and 950 to service the thing was the warranty. It now all gets done privately.

Back to the OP, I hope the Clubman has nothing in common with a BMW, or don't buy one.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The joke is, it is the bolts which let go, and they cost about 3.50 each. If you change them regularly (major service), and make sure they are torqued down, no problem, but BMW don't do this, although they know the vanos on these cars is the weak link.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I picked up a, then 5 year old, W-plate, Avensis with 22K and over-serviced. It has now reached 109K and at the service last month they changed the brake pads as they were 70% worn! - they were the originals.