Mild form of cheating or otherwise!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am not one of the parties who has/ may suffer from the outcome.

Our terms of competition for our Club knockout competitions is that the competitor must be available for Finals Day unless there are exceptional circumstances.

A guy at our place had booked a holiday himself before the semifinals and had forgot about the final date. He reached the final which was today and told the Committee 3 weeks’ ago that his wife had booked a surprise holiday for him which was abroad. The committee granted a postponement . He was an ex Captain which MAY have influenced their decision.

Is this a form of cheating or telling a white lie? What would you do, being the commit, if the truth came out later?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Little white ones always have a habit of turning up when you least expect them.
A bit of Old Boys favouritism going on too....
I'd be calling Foul, claiming the match and kicking up a stink if I wasn't awarded it.

Unless you want to keep this one in your back pocket until a situation arises where knowledge can be priceless....
Blackmail?
Such a dirty word....:whistle:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The final is played on finals day. End of. If you can't make it, you lose, or your partner plays on their own. No excuses, no delays, unless you qualify for two finals, one of which is 36 holes.
Would you make an exception if the player’simmediate family had passed away and the funeral was the next day?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I got in the situation of making finals day and competitor couldn’t make it, then I’d prefer it to be rearranged for another day than win by default. It would just feel a bit hollow even taking into account the run to the final.

Obviously if they were being difficult on finding an alternative date than that may be different

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Would you make an exception if the player’simmediate family had passed away and the funeral was the next day?

Sure, but that is exceptional.

Many club players will never get an opportunity to play on finals day. It is a special day, and for a guy to wriggle out of it, despite knowing when he entered that finals get played on finals day is poor, and more so from the committee.

Holidays don't count as an excuse.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s not “cheating” and it’s the main issue with clubs that have finals day - they are very restrictive to a lot of members , our club tried it with one club and loads just didn’t bother entering it because they dictated when the final was to be played.

D

Deleted member 18588

Strict adherence to a Finals Day is IMO just as anachronistic as some of the outdated dress codes that many on here object to.

As LP says it can deter many from entering the competition early in the golfing year as they cannot be certain of their other commitments so far in advance.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That seems to comply with the 'exceptional circumstances' you mentioned in the OP.

As for the rest...While I like the idea of Finals Day, I'd suggest a pre-booked holiday would be a legitimate exception too - if maybe boosted by some c&b story. I don't believe the possibility of getting through to Finals Day at a Golf Club should have so much effect on other personal decisions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

My previous club used to have a finals day. Never seemed to cause an issue, if you can't make the final (date is posted in the diary at the start of the year) then don't enter. It is always in October so well outside the main holiday season.

Wolf

Visit site
Tbh I wouldn't enter any comps that had finals days set on a specific date, to restrictive as to other plans like holidays, family events or life in general.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes it is restrictive and I probably wouldn't enter either but it's kind of missing the point.
There is a Finals day and it's well publicised at this club. If an ex-Captain is telling porkies to get an extension then that's wrong....
Isn't it?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
A guy at our place had booked a holiday himself before the semifinals and had forgot about the final date. He reached the final which was today and told the Committee 3 weeks’ ago that his wife had booked a surprise holiday for him which was abroad.

Deliberate miss-representation of the facts to the committee would indeed be cheating.

Don't understand the concept of 'mild form of' and white lies are generally intended for the benefit of others.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Deliberate miss-representation of the facts to the committee would indeed be cheating.

Don't understand the concept of 'mild form of' and white lies are generally intended for the benefit of others.
Agree entirely Duncan. The ‘ white lie’ was for his own benefit. He booked the holiday approx. a month earlier. The Finals Day is ALWAYS the first Sunday in September. It was published over 8 months’ ago. He has been a member for around 40 years so is well aware of the position.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't see it as restrictive and all our matchplay finals are played on that day throughout all sections (mens, ladies and seniors) and it always gets a good turn out to see who has won. There is usually a couple of finals that can't be played (holidays, work committments or even people in two finals) and these are usually played the following weekend or as soon as possible. Never a problem and if I was the OP I wouldn't want to claim the final by default and would rather win/lose on my own merit

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
bloody hell. some of the answers here!!!!! if my opponent said "hi mate, I didn't think I'd actually get to the final and I've got a holiday booked for that date".

No problem at all. simply organise another convenient date and tax him a beer. it's a game of bloody golf people!!!!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
[QUOTE Never a problem and if I was the OP I wouldn't want to claim the final by default and would rather win/lose on my own merit[/QUOTE]
Not sure where you worked out this OP bit Homer.

It is not me, which is what I said initially. It does not matter to me one bit, I merely asked the question