Middle Lane hogs - Rant

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Alot of us here have a pet peeve about drivers who hhog the middle lane on the motorway. But let me tell you about my trip to Germany and the country where almost everyone in the middle wouldn't let me out

BELGIUM!

Oh my giddy aunt. I started counting how many times I was boxed in with my indicator on and the fast lane wide open for them to move out.

14 times between Brussels and Oostende! I then had to go out into the fast lane to overtake them and move into the slow lane after overtaking the person who wouldn't let me out!

I was raging

And breathe!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Currently the worst for this, I have noticed in recent times, are 'Uber drivers' on their way out of town... Totally transfixed by the glow from their devices... Wouldn't mind betting they never actually look at the road ahead... Just putting their trust into 'the glow'...

D

Deleted member 18121

I nipped round the M25 over the weekend to drop my brother at the airport....the amount of people that sit in the middle lane is unreal. Even when it's now 4 lanes they still sit in the 3rd lane, which means I need to cross all 4 lanes to overtake them.

I don't know whether its laziness, ignorance or just stupidity. I wonder how many people would admit to being a middle lane hog.....if they even realise.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I nipped round the M25 over the weekend to drop my brother at the airport....the amount of people that sit in the middle lane is unreal. Even when it's now 4 lanes they still sit in the 3rd lane, which means I need to cross all 4 lanes to overtake them.

I don't know whether its laziness, ignorance or just stupidity. I wonder how many people would admit to being a middle lane hog.....if they even realise.

<Pedant Mode>

Seems to me, that would make you crash - into the central barrier/armco!

</Pedant Mode>

Appreciate the issue though! That and fog lights being left on (or even ued when not required) are my biggest gripes!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

You don't need to move out to over take them. You are quite within your rights to stay in the inside lane and pass them on the inside.

The specific offence of undertaking (or nearside undertake) was actually removed from the statute books with the introduction of the 1972 Road Traffic Act, and although the Highway Code advises against it, there is no specific law that prevents it.

However, whilst there is no specific offence of undertaking, we still have careless driving under section 3 of the 1988 Road Traffic Act, and a driver who undertakes dangerously or badly will find themselves before the court for either careless or in the worst cases dangerous (section 2 of the same act). But, to obtain a conviction, the prosecution has to show that the standard of driving fell well below the standard expected of a reasonably competent driver, and the act of the nearside overtake would not in itself be sufficient to secure a conviction.

D

Deleted member 18121

In its purest form Woody I agree with you, but there is enough ambiguity in the wording of the law and enough jumped up power crazy police officers that I wont risk it.

A quick google of this very subject with provide you with a lot of instances of drivers being "done" for undertaking as it's a matter of opinion if it's safely/necessary etc

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hopefully this cheers you up.

I SMASHED your/our mate on his home turf at weekend 6 & 5.

He's feeling rather down about it so this will help further his despair :D

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hopefully this cheers you up.

I SMASHED your/our mate on his home turf at weekend 6 & 5.

He's feeling rather down about it so this will help further his despair :D

That's mesmerising mate.. I particularly like the lady in the background who's clearly unimpressed with your Northern accent...

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Carol, look at those nice 2 young men.

1.jpg

Oh my god, Don't look, they are from the north, start the car Carol!

2.jpg

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Carol, look at those nice 2 young men.

View attachment 16307

Oh my god, Don't look, they are from the north, start the car Carol!

View attachment 16308

Hehe Rooter,

Funnily enough, and no word of a lie, they did seem to leave earlier than their table suggested they should have.

Unseen on our table is a man sometimes known as 'Sweary-Birchy' so perhaps he was letting some profanities out without even knowing. In his defence though, it was probably the deep Northern accents that the leafy Woodhall residents were scared of and one single digit golfer that, simply, stank...

They don't know how lucky they were though - Stu C wasn't there :D