Microsoft band

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looks interesting! I wonder what impact the smart tech is going to have on the likes of Garmin, Bushnell Skycaddie etc, when there is going to be (read is!) better tech available and its just a software addon?

Vmixture

Medal Winner
Visit site
I dont know a lot about the Microsoft Band but from the picture on the link it looks like it pairs up with a smart phone, wont that make it illegal in comps?

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes it pairs with any smartphone, unlike the Apple Watch. Tech companies like Golf. They love that we need to know stats. However, it needs to be non instrusive for it to be a success. Game golf is a great tool. Even better without the phone app. tag buzz, carry on. Using a phone app is actually quite distracting. If the tech companies can pull it off without getting in the way, then I'm sure whatever they make will be a success. The search for the perfect round continues lol

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had the band already for the health tracking etc. it had built in gps so doesn't need phone so fully legal for comps etc. looking forward to the new tile to give it a go :)

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I dont understand people who think new tech makes the game slower.
I have a Garmin watch I get to my ball look at my watch once sellect a club and play.
No looking for the yardage marker, no pacing out yards from bunkers just one look and Im off.
yes you get the odd moron who checks his tech half a dozen times but they are few.
Embrace the future tech is here to stay. :)

Thustwest

Medal Winner
Visit site
I use a Garmin watch and Game Golf. Quick glance at the watch when you get to the ball. Select club with more confidence because im more aware if my yardages. The tag takes a second and now forms part of my pre shot routine. Hit ball. I actually think this combination speeds you up rather than slowing you down.

For me any new tech must work in this way or it won't work for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't get this tech slowing golf down thing. My Sky Caddy tells me how far everything I need to know is. Make a decision based on that and the conditions, tag it into my GG device and swing. Surely better than the old days and pacing everything out and I'd rather know my distances than rely on my eyesight (not very good)

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't get this tech slowing golf down thing. My Sky Caddy tells me how far everything I need to know is. Make a decision based on that and the conditions, tag it into my GG device and swing. Surely better than the old days and pacing everything out and I'd rather know my distances than rely on my eyesight (not very good)

+1.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Name one gadget that when used properly slows down play?
Nikon or whoevers Wall-e range finder: walk to the ball have a look around, ferret around in your bag, take it out, remove from case, switch on, find the flag (which is dormant due to no wind and is sat behind the pole from the last breeze), let it settle and give you distance, switch off put it back in the case put it back in the bag, select your club, stick the ball in the bunker right of the green.
Society weekender comp a few years back, we were the last group out, my golf was wobbling, opposing team member said "we have been out here 4hrs FFS" we were teeing off on the 12th, I had my watch and had resorted to calling the distance of the ball as one player in our group would go through this rigmarole on every 2nd/3rd shot, every fairway, he wasn't using it for chips and wedge shots within 100yrd. Zzzzzzzzz

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nikon or whoevers Wall-e range finder: walk to the ball have a look around, ferret around in your bag, take it out, remove from case, switch on, find the flag (which is dormant due to no wind and is sat behind the pole from the last breeze), let it settle and give you distance, switch off put it back in the case put it back in the bag, select your club, stick the ball in the bunker right of the green.
Society weekender comp a few years back, we were the last group out, my golf was wobbling, opposing team member said "we have been out here 4hrs FFS" we were teeing off on the 12th, I had my watch and had resorted to calling the distance of the ball as one player in our group would go through this rigmarole on every 2nd/3rd shot, every fairway. Zzzzzzzzz

Again I reiterate. Name one gadget that when used properly slows down play.

What you have described is someone being an arse and not being ready to play. It's not the gadgets fault it's the user of the gadget.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looks really interesting. Can't imagine game golf are loving its launch.

Only concern to me is what Taylormade will charge (I assume they will anyways) for access to the full suite of features of myround pro