Michelle wie

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Michelle Wie withdrew from the Ginn Tribute on Thursday after shooting 14 over par through 16 holes, aggravating a wrist injury that sidelined her since January.

After Wie bogeyed the par-4 seventh, the 17-year-old star from Hawaii told an LPGA tour official: "We're not going to play anymore."

Wie wore bandages on her wrists during the round and said her withdraw was because she "tweaked" the injury and not because of an LPGA rule that bans nontour members for the year if they shoot 88 or higher. Wie was two bogeys from that scenario when she stopped.

Is it just me or is anyone else getting a bit fed up with this girl's behaviour? From embarassing herself in mens tournaments to this?

It is my opinion that she is "at it" and she will be playing fairly shortly. ie (The next time a big sponsor comes in with a huge cheque so that she can hit an 86,83 and catch another Friday night flight.)
She's winning no friends with this kind of behaviour. (or tournaments for that matter)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just watched the Golf Channel's clip about her round. They clearly think she's "at it" too. Truly unbelievable. She carded a 10 and handful of sixes for goodness sake.

I have to say I've never liked her or her attitude to the game. Can any teenager sound less eloquent or say "you know" more often?

Nike and Sony should be asking for their money back. She's clearly taking them for a long ride. And David Leadbetter should dump her before he ruins his reputation any further.

She was also voted as most over-rated "Pro" in a recent poll of PGA pros. Not finishing the last 2 holes only after her manager approached her on her 17th tee stinks to high heaven. What are the chances she would have carried on if she had been heading for say an 80 instead of an 88?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed, Lets remember though that she obviously must have some talent to be in the spot light in the first place, however, it's obvious she has delusions of grandure and needs to earn her stripes on the LGPA tour. A good long chat with Annika Sorenstam wouldn't go amiss either so she can learn how to conduct herself in the game.

B

birdieman

she is undoubtedly talented and has finished top 3 in womens british open before.
If she wasn't fit she shouldn't have played, does look very dodgy to pull out after 16 in light of the 88 rule. There was also a DQ incident last year over an infringement.
She does need some public speaking training, sounds brain dead during interviews.
Hope she doesn't end up a teenage burnout, doesn't seem mature enough to handle life on the road yet.
Hope she comes through ok, she could do a lot for womens golf.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I actually didn't realize that the following happened......

...As Wie headed to the tee, she was stopped by her manager, Greg Nared. The two chatted for a few moments — Nared even keeping Wie's mother, Bo, from joining the conversation — before they called an LPGA Tour official to end the round......

I think this is a disgrace and she should be fined accordingly and any appearance fee should be returned.

DCB

Visit site
Ok the girl has some talent, but she is being badly advised by her management team who seem only interested in the publicity (good or bad)that she gets by entering and playing PGA events. What she needs to do is get herself into regular contention on the LPGA Tour, win a few evennts and then see what opportunities that brings her. At the moment, the poor girl is just becoming a freak show!

As for her performance in inteviews etc, if her management team don't care about her on course performance, why should they do anything to help her off course image?

She needs new management and someone to sit down and ask her what she wants to WIN not what she wants to do. Get her focused on being a winner and the rest will come in due course.

DCB

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You've hit the nail on the head DCB. She is just a tool for making shed-loads of money for her family and her management team. I don't suppose anyone sat down with the girl and asked her whether she really wants to be a media item, or a top golfer, or does she just want to play amateur golf for fun, get an education and a career, get married and raise a family. Don't forget that she was only 14 when all this media hype and sponsers offers washed over her and took her life away. She has just been manipulated from that point.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
When you put it like that you have to feel sorry for her really- she's obviously not enjoying the game any more and shes being pushed in all sorts of directions that can't be good for her game.

I remember when she first came on tour she had a great golf swing- not any more!

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
She is undoubtedly an amazing player with lots of talent but I do think that she is the victim here. The press and crowds follow her everywhere which has got to be irritating, plus it sounds like her management is getting greedy and giving her bad advice. Her sponsors would have had a fit if she couldn't play for a year so it's not surprising he stepped in. He was thinking of his own neck. As for shooting 88 - it has happened to some of the top male players!

oasis90

Hacker
Visit site
Yes your right, Michelle Wie is neither proving herself as a great golfer or winning over any of us. She can't even beat thee women for goodness sake. What's she doing in the leagues of the PGA Tour? Annaka Sorenstam is one of the greatest and most successful women golfers of all time and even she admitted soon enough that even she wasn't good enough for the men. Until Michelle Wie can prove herself as one of the greats of women golf, she has no reason to be included in the same field as any men... and to be honest, I can't see her being a world beater any time soon. As for the sponsers that pay her to play in the PGA Tour tournaments, I couldn't think of a worse investment thatn to put it into Micelle Wie so that she can shoot 86, 82 and embarrass herself once again. Oh and as for Michelle Wie replacing Tiger Woods on the build up to each Sky Sports show, what's that all about? Who wants to watch a rude teenage wannabe play poor, demeaning golf anyway? Bring back Tiger, someone we can all enjoy watching ....

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I couldn't help noticing during the coverage of the Macdonalds last weekend on the Golf Channel, that Michelle's caddy was hardly to be seen when she was in camera shot. Almost all the other ladies seem to have a really close relationship with their caddys. Their caddys are always standing behind them when they are preparing to take a shot, so that they are properly lined-up. On the final hole of the 2nd. round when Michelle needed to make a par to be certain of making the cut, she stood on the tee clearly lined up to the right, (even the commentator noticed) and the ball missed the fairway on the right, in deep rough. Even after that, when she was waiting for a decision on the 'line of sight' rule, her caddy was nowhere to be seen.

Who is Michelle's caddy? Don't tell me it's her Dad.