AON Risk & Reward

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, I didn't think I'd ever post on this topic!

Interesting aritlce on golf digest about Lee Ann Pace who is leading the season long competition but who then took a 9 on one of the designated holes. Withdrew the next hole with a back issue but suggestion it could also be to preserve her hopes of winning the $1m as the score gets removed due to the withdrawal. Still needs to complete 5 more rounds to be eligible.

Now Lee Ann Pace has been quite clear it's a back issue (which could account for the 9) so I was hesitant to post, but I thought it was quite an interesting hypothetical dilema. She's only earned $43k this year and we know the women's tour doesn't have the same purses.

So, if you knew a WD kept you in the race for that prize would you do it? What about a club competition which has average medal score for example. I think you'd have to given how much easier it could make your golf career but that's coming from someone who as a kid would happily switch off the computer when a match wasn't going well in Champ Man so that I could win the league!

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/lp...on-season-long-challenge-says-injury-is-legit

(On an LPGA note what a year Jin Young Ko is having and now on a 106 hole bogey free streak!)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
She seemed pretty clear how it would look so I imagine she had thought about it beforehand (or in the immediate aftermath). If she's had a recurring injury and the article mentions she's considering retirement then withdrawing and keeping in with a shot of one last big pay day makes sound sense. I guess the next question is will she be fit enough to play and play the designated holes well enough as she's only got 35/40 qualifying holes in and so technically isn't in a position to win the purse yet

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
From a professional perspective it is logical. Perhaps she would have been better not to have even started the tournament, if that was an option. Having a share of that money is a game changer for her in her postion. You would be disappointed if a top 10 player did this, in the mens game a Rory or Brooks for example but this lady is a long way down the money list.

Money changes everything, certainly the amounts involved here.

In regards to an average club score comp, I have never NR'd so I would take what happens. I'm not playing for $1m though.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For a million dolla. Sure.

I think i'm with you but at the same time I was unimpressed with the recent story of someones friend refusing to enter qualifiers as he wanted a high handicap to win the club matchplay. Maybe because of the aggregate nature of the comp and that people will have played different holes in different weather conditions changes the view slightly.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
She seemed pretty clear how it would look so I imagine she had thought about it beforehand (or in the immediate aftermath). If she's had a recurring injury and the article mentions she's considering retirement then withdrawing and keeping in with a shot of one last big pay day makes sound sense. I guess the next question is will she be fit enough to play and play the designated holes well enough as she's only got 35/40 qualifying holes in and so technically isn't in a position to win the purse yet

Yep, definitely some bigger injury issues and she probably doesn't like the insinuation which I've not helped with the thread! Definitely interest and I think we're already seeing support for managing their own position.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
A million dollars is a million dollars - especially on the woman's tour where the prize money isn't as big and earnings .

If they are going to introduce these other competitions, then it's only legitimate that people try and win those that they are best placed to win.

A bit like cycling where some people are racing for overall GC, others for points, others for single stage win.
Or football, where a team rests players for one competition before a big European tie.

Look at Rose last year in the Tour Championship. Preserved his position in the Fed Ex Cup, where as other tournaments he might have gone for the win and took a few extra risks.