Michelle Wie and a crazy rule!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't remember who it was but I has seen a player on the PGA tour get a penalty for hitting the sand after a bunker shot. The bunker was kidney shaped and he played the shot poorly and hit the sand with his club in anger. What he hadn't realised is that his ball hadrolled back into the bunker out of his view. He got a 2 shot penalty as his ball was in the same bunker as he and they deemed hitting the sand a testing the surface of the hazard.

Rules is rules but sometimes the interpretation leaves a little to be desired.
I was going to mention that...wasn't it McIlroy a year or two ago?

Could well have been mcilroy yeah.

She does have great legs doesn't she!!!

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
'Secondly, by putting your bag down in a hazard you have not "grounded your club". There should be no penalty. Another exception under Rule 13-4.'

Most interested in this as one hole on a course I play has a bay creating a dog leg.

Their is a sea wall and then the beach, from which you can play if the tide is out. The markers however are circa 1.5 mtrs out from the sea wall and run for about 200 yards up the fairway. The natural thing to do is pull your caddy car up the side of the wall to locate your ball, see if it is playable and select the club to do the damage from that yardage - over the wall onto the beach, 6 iron onto the green two putts par! Then informed cadddy car on wrong side of markers 2 stroke penalty!! The area between the markers and the wall is just like fairway so it is very easy to pull the caddy car along it, easy mistake is what I am saying but maybe an incorrect penalty considering your above remarks.

Incorrect penalty.

Rule 13-4.....

Exceptions:
1. Provided nothing is done that constitutes testing the condition of the hazard or improves the lie of the ball, there is no penalty if the player (a) touches the ground or loose impediments in any hazard or water in a water hazard as a result of or to prevent falling, in removing an obstruction, in measuring or in marking the position of, retrieving, lifting, placing or replacing a ball under any Rule or (b) places his clubs in a hazard .

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
The people that pointed out the penalty were seasoned golfers, so I didn't argue.
You should still argue. :D I've seen some very experienced/low handicap players make schoolboy errors regarding the rules.

I had one a few weeks ago, I was pulled on hitting his ball on the green whilst mine was, fair play but I was only speeding up play, then he was a foot from a wall facing the green, he takes a pen drop but rather than two clubs length he drops about 30 foot in a semi circle!! If I had know that was cheating I would have pulled him.

edgey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What is really crazy is her blatant attempts to lie and cheat her way out of the penalty by claiming she was "off balance". Clearly she may have a game but has no concept of integrity, honesty and what makes golf so different from football where cheating, sorry "simulation" has become the norm.

Edgey

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
What is really crazy is her blatant attempts to lie and cheat her way out of the penalty by claiming she was "off balance". Clearly she may have a game but has no concept of integrity, honesty and what makes golf so different from football where cheating, sorry "simulation" has become the norm.

Edgey

Oh well, I'm just going to check those legs one more time................

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can't remember who it was but I has seen a player on the PGA tour get a penalty for hitting the sand after a bunker shot. The bunker was kidney shaped and he played the shot poorly and hit the sand with his club in anger. What he hadn't realised is that his ball hadrolled back into the bunker out of his view. He got a 2 shot penalty as his ball was in the same bunker as he and they deemed hitting the sand a testing the surface of the hazard.

Rules is rules but sometimes the interpretation leaves a little to be desired.

That was Garcia wasnt it?

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Didn't Stewart Cink get penalized for raking the bunker after hitting out of one bunker into another a couple of years ago.
I think the rule was subsequently changed.

If I remember correctly, he was standing in a fairway bunker to hit his approach (although the ball wasn't in the hazard) and proceeded to hit into a greenside bunker. He then raked the fairway bunker(as you would), but was deemed to be testing the condition ("or a hazard similar" which is the all important phrase) and was eventually disqualified because he didn't call a penalty on himself and handed his card in signed.

Harsh and unfair.

didsbury_duffer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pull yourself together man !!
Think I'll go for another peek as well. :p :p

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Pull yourself together man !!
Think I'll go for another peek as well. :p :p

You might notice that she grounds her club...

43218878.gif

....or you might not :p :p :p

D

Deleted member 1418

With legs like those, I would've given her the two shots back!!!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have always had a thing for Michele.

Just wish she could stop being a cheat really.

She could always redeem herself round my house mind.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
she just looks like shes put the club down in exsaperation at the ball not coming out, put it down and leaned on it as if to WTF.without really thing about it still being in the hazard. IMO. Still she broke a rule so imo the penalty is deserved.