Michelle Wie and a crazy rule!

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-videos/wie-little-mishap-13849/?ref=26000&rsec=210

Wie gets a two stroke penalty after player her shot in the video above. Fair enough, it's in the rule book, but.... how crazy is it that she can get penalised for grounding her club AFTER playing her shot. I know the ball is still inside the hazard line, but she quite clearly doesn't do it to gain any advantage.

Asides from that, it's hilarious that she tried to claim that she was using the club to maintain her balance - she should get a two shot penalty for telling porkies! :)

Anyone here ever been caught out by that rule?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've been stung by it...

I was in a very long fairway bunker, I tried to play a long iron shot out, and moved it about 20 yards further along. Without thinking, I came out the bunker, picked up the rake, raked the bunker then walked further up to my ball. Only to be told of the penalty for raking the bunker while my ball was still in it.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've been stung by it...

I was in a very long fairway bunker, I tried to play a long iron shot out, and moved it about 20 yards further along. Without thinking, I came out the bunker, picked up the rake, raked the bunker then walked further up to my ball. Only to be told of the penalty for raking the bunker while I was still in it.

Twire, i didn't realise that was the ruling either!!!! i must read up more on the rules as i tend to rely on experience to learn ones like this.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Another one was where I'd knocked my ball into a red staked hazard, wondered into the hazard carrying my bag. Found my ball and put my bag down ready to play my shot, and was penalised for putting my bag down in a hazard.

I've never done it again... ;)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another one was where I'd knocked my ball into a red staked hazard, wondered into the hazard carrying my bag. Found my ball and put my bag down ready to play my shot, and was penalised for putting my bag down in a hazard.

Don't think that's a penalty. Definately OK in a sand hazard, as long as you are not testing the surface.

I would recommend anyone to go to the R and A web site - rules of golf - decisions and have a brows. Puts many myths and mis-understandings to rights.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Twire, both times you shouldn't have been penalised. Rule 13-4 has exceptions one of which says that unless you improve your subsequent play of the hole you can smooth a bunker even if your ball is still in it. I think this changed quite recently, if not the last rules revision then the one before.

Secondly, by putting your bag down in a hazard you have not "grounded your club". There should be no penalty. Another exception under Rule 13-4.

As for OP. I can't get the video to play.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Twire, both times you shouldn't have been penalised. Rule 13-4 has exceptions one of which says that unless you improve your subsequent play of the hole you can smooth a bunker even if your ball is still in it. I think this changed quite recently, if not the last rules revision then the one before.

Secondly, by putting your bag down in a hazard you have not "grounded your club". There should be no penalty. Another exception under Rule 13-4.

They were both a very long time ago when I was newish to golf. The people that pointed out the penalty were seasoned golfers, so I didn't argue.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't remember who it was but I has seen a player on the PGA tour get a penalty for hitting the sand after a bunker shot. The bunker was kidney shaped and he played the shot poorly and hit the sand with his club in anger. What he hadn't realised is that his ball hadrolled back into the bunker out of his view. He got a 2 shot penalty as his ball was in the same bunker as he and they deemed hitting the sand a testing the surface of the hazard.

Rules is rules but sometimes the interpretation leaves a little to be desired.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk

They were both a very long time ago when I was newish to golf. The people that pointed out the penalty were seasoned golfers, so I didn't argue.

Yeah, I've a feeling both these are ones that "used to be" a penalty but it's very common for players to call these on you even today. Old habits die hard etc :)

B

birdieman

Tough for Wie but I bet she doesn't do it again!
We've all been caught out with these kinds of things, you learn your lesson and move on.

Adrena1in

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can't remember who it was but I has seen a player on the PGA tour get a penalty for hitting the sand after a bunker shot. The bunker was kidney shaped and he played the shot poorly and hit the sand with his club in anger. What he hadn't realised is that his ball hadrolled back into the bunker out of his view. He got a 2 shot penalty as his ball was in the same bunker as he and they deemed hitting the sand a testing the surface of the hazard.

Rules is rules but sometimes the interpretation leaves a little to be desired.
I was going to mention that...wasn't it McIlroy a year or two ago?

Screwback

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tough for Wie but I bet she doesn't do it again!
We've all been caught out with these kinds of things, you learn your lesson and move on.

I agree birdieman she has made a mistake and will learn her lesson we have all done it as you say she wont do it again.

When i first watched it i thought how do you make that mistake but then in the heat off battle possibly an easy mistake to make.

19th

Head Pro
Visit site
'Secondly, by putting your bag down in a hazard you have not "grounded your club". There should be no penalty. Another exception under Rule 13-4.'

Most interested in this as one hole on a course I play has a bay creating a dog leg.

Their is a sea wall and then the beach, from which you can play if the tide is out. The markers however are circa 1.5 mtrs out from the sea wall and run for about 200 yards up the fairway. The natural thing to do is pull your caddy car up the side of the wall to locate your ball, see if it is playable and select the club to do the damage from that yardage - over the wall onto the beach, 6 iron onto the green two putts par! Then informed cadddy car on wrong side of markers 2 stroke penalty!! The area between the markers and the wall is just like fairway so it is very easy to pull the caddy car along it, easy mistake is what I am saying but maybe an incorrect penalty considering your above remarks.