Merry #%^+&£@ Christmas

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to read this.

I'm in a similar position but was coming up to two years with employer so no rights what so ever.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Christmas is a common time for redundancies and the dark nights don't help.
When it happened to me it was deeply unsettling, but it was the only time I was made redundant.
Proves you can't trust employers.
Hopefully 2020 will be better.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cant add more to what is already said here... good advice.

How are the others 6 in the team handling it? Maybe easier to negotiate as a team rather than individually...

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Cant add more to what is already said here... good advice.

How are the others 6 in the team handling it? Maybe easier to negotiate as a team rather than individually...

Well it turns out two were seconded to the position so they're going back. The manager has accepted his pay off as there is not alternative position. 1 lass have now been seconded to her another department. Leaves 2 of em with potentially 1 new role to take the place of all of em available. But the other guy has 15 years experience and is God father to the national bosses kid...

So whilst the position is now redundant, I think it's gonna be just the missus that is cut.

This morning when they all got the call, they were all best friends against the company. Now as things come to light is kinda all about themselves. Which is totally understandable.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lost job nov 2015 . 6 weeks to nchrisrmas was devestated . Got my butt in gear and was lucky enough to get sorted with another job . Not much hlelp to u at all as im in ireland just want u to know things will work out and i wish u and ur family well

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well it turns out two were seconded to the position so they're going back. The manager has accepted his pay off as there is not alternative position. 1 lass have now been seconded to her another department. Leaves 2 of em with potentially 1 new role to take the place of all of em available. But the other guy has 15 years experience and is God father to the national bosses kid...

So whilst the position is now redundant, I think it's gonna be just the missus that is cut.

This morning when they all got the call, they were all best friends against the company. Now as things come to light is kinda all about themselves. Which is totally understandable.

I can see a tribunal for unfair dismissal coming up (if the Godfather bit is true)... Threaten to go to tribunal and dont settle for less money. The company does not care, neither should you.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I can see a tribunal for unfair dismissal coming up (if the Godfather bit is true)... Threaten to go to tribunal and dont settle for less money. The company does not care, neither should you.

It is true. But the two guys have worked their way through the company together. That being said cherry picked Debs (missus) for the role. Put himself on the line to get her the role when she wasn't qualified. He's a good friend.

I mentioned it more out of frustration. Being brutally honest. He's the better qualified for the new role.

The only angle the missus has is that she's the better part of 15k cheaper. So if they are making cuts on a financial basis it may help her cause.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is true. But the two guys have worked their way through the company together. That being said cherry picked Debs (missus) for the role. Put himself on the line to get her the role when she wasn't qualified. He's a good friend.

I mentioned it more out of frustration. Being brutally honest. He's the better qualified for the new role.

The only angle the missus has is that she's the better part of 15k cheaper. So if they are making cuts on a financial basis it may help her cause.

Completely understand your frust and feel for you guys..
With my management hat on, it is easy to justify keeping him over her as you could prove that he is more productive / effective / knows more and will add more than 15k additional value. It may not be just a financial thing. Headcount, non-strategic unit etc, can be a reason. However, the threat is always a helpful backup. Get all your facts. Ensure that you get the statutory pay bit ++

BTW, from my experience with some of the banks in the City. Everyone is targetted on headcount rather than cost. So every December, they will let go of everyone and hit headcount targets. In January, everyone rejoins as a contractor with better pay. This circus happens every year. Helpfully, BBC is doing this
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar...ed-to-know-if-you-re-facing-dismissal-at-work

Keep the faith and dont worry, she will find a better place soon.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My wife's Lloyds Pharmacy store of which she is the supervisor has just been sold.

The completion isn't forecast until around Feb/March, but morale is very low, especially just before Christmas, as although they are being told they are all protected under TUPE, that wouldn't stop the new owners changing or creating new contracts of employment!

Llyods have almost abandoned this store now, moving the manager to another store meaning my wife is now running the store without any extra financial support and having to deal with different pharmacist locums daily!

One member of staff recently left which did the late shift and Lloyds won't replace her, so everyone is working over on different days to keep the store open so they can support the local community, its a disgraceful way to treat loyal staff who have been their over a decade and what was a very successful and happy store is being sold off, which is 1 of 6 apparently to this one company and is yet another batch of Lloyds Pharmacies from across the country which are being sold off gradually.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
A better day today.

Provisional severance offer made. She has a final meeting tomorrow to discuss the potential of her going back to be a cinema manager but been as the only role available is Blackpool, I think that’s just the powers that be crossing the I’s so to speak.

The offer is to cover all her holiday she’s accrued this year, and would have next year in her 10 remaining weeks of notice, but to allow her to finish on the 16th with 3 months pay in Lieu or notice. They countered the bonus request with an offer. The Basic is 6% and they are reviewed in March prior to payment where they can almost double it on performance. She’s averaged 10%. So a flat 5% is more than I’d expected tbh.

So hopefully once it comes around she’s of had a few weeks to get used to it. Can have Xmas off and then hit the ground running somewhere new.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
It happened to my wife at the beginning of this year, she got a better offer than she thought she would have (nearly double) and took it. Within a fortnight she got a better job, better hours and slightly better pay.
Very lucky I admit, but the old adage of one door opening as another closes is often true.

At least she can have a chilled Christmas and start afresh in the new year, all the best!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A better day today.

Provisional severance offer made. She has a final meeting tomorrow to discuss the potential of her going back to be a cinema manager but been as the only role available is Blackpool, I think that’s just the powers that be crossing the I’s so to speak.

The offer is to cover all her holiday she’s accrued this year, and would have next year in her 10 remaining weeks of notice, but to allow her to finish on the 16th with 3 months pay in Lieu or notice. They countered the bonus request with an offer. The Basic is 6% and they are reviewed in March prior to payment where they can almost double it on performance. She’s averaged 10%. So a flat 5% is more than I’d expected tbh.

So hopefully once it comes around she’s of had a few weeks to get used to it. Can have Xmas off and then hit the ground running somewhere new.

Some potentially good news and what seems a pretty fair and sensible compromise. If I was your good lady, I'd be getting the CV fully up to date and punting it put, especially to the agencies in her field asap. I know it's not the time for companies to be recruiting but she'll be on the books (and can potentially go in to discuss her needs and sign any forms upfront) and then really start pushing them and looking online after the break. I am sure it'll work out. HID left her last job (not quite through redundancy but was bullied and the case never taken seriously) and now works in a school and to be honest has never looked back. Life can have some funny turns when you least expect them

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Thought I’d update this as it’s been a very good result in the end.
She settled for a payoff which in the end was everything we felt she was entitled too, they didn’t quibble after she put in written reasons for it all.

As luck would have it, that took 3 months to resolve which meant her final pay date is the 23rd this month having been let go 2 weeks ago and starting a new job on better terms last week.....

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
She settled for a payoff which in the end was everything we felt she was entitled too, they didn’t quibble after she put in written reasons for it all.

As luck would have it, that took 3 months to resolve which meant her final pay date is the 23rd this month having been let go 2 weeks ago and starting a new job on better terms last week.....

Good news mate!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Happy days