Mental side of golf

greencarpman

Hacker
Visit site
How best to develope your mental side of golf? I recently played a local golf comp, 1st few holes I was playing superb, the other 3 in the 4 ball "great shot" , then after about 4 holes, started questioning my handicap, the "great shot" had stopped, then 1 "accidentally!" stepped on my ball maker on the green, then by the 10th they'd all walked so far ahead my next shot was aiming at the back of there heads! Where I missed the fairway into the long rough, ended up with a 9 and my round just got worse after that. 1 didn't even talk to me on the back 9, how can you shut this out to concentrate on your own game?

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Wow ok don't play with those guys ever again, what truly terrible behaviour! Are you all members there? What kind of comp was it?

If you do ever find yourself in the same position again, or in any position where you are being put off your game, you need to make a conscious effort to remain calm and not let it affect your game.

Breathe: Not short angry breaths through clenched teeth. You need to take a few deep breaths, wiggle your shoulders and most importantly smile and relax.

Focus: One shot at a time and never on the previous shot always on the next and only when you get to the ball. In between take your mind off your round, last shots, previous hole, next hole. Look at the scenery and enjoy the wildlife. In any reasonable game with normal players you can have a chat and take your mind off it until you get to your ball.

Don't fall into the trap of saying screw you guys I am going to show you and get angry and try to grind it out and make an extra effort to play well. 99% of the time this won't work. Just enjoy the challenge of playing the course, analyze but don't over think your shots. For the most part just and put them out of your mind and have fun playing.

This is not easy of course especially if they are walking ahead and in your eye line. This is NOT acceptable! You don't have to put up with this. I would stand and wait for them to notice you and then wave them to the side. Do not hit your shot until they are well out of your way. This is tricky especially if they all know each other and you don't. Really you should be able to say something between the next tee but I can understand if you don't feel able. If they go to do it again catch them early. If they look like they are about to walk ahead just say ' hang on guys I am playing that way' then go into your pre-shot routine and forget they exist.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
All that Greg has just said.

Take no notice of comments regarding your handicap, it is what it is, and you are entitled to play as good (or bad) as you do on the day on that handicap

If they don't talk or treat you badly just play within your own self, enjoy your own company for a few hours, self talk and compliment yourself on good shots etc, but if their etiquette is too bad just ask them, as politely as you can, not to do what is wrong.

Never play with them again!

greencarpman

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Yeah we r all members, it was quite an important golf comp, end of year one. I'm new to golf comps, been playing golf for about 3 years, but time is short being a father of 5 but I practice everyday. Even just for 10 minutes putting. I just find it frustrating that I let it get to me, I know this is the part of my game I need to focus on. Thanks again .

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Yeah we r all members, it was quite an important golf comp, end of year one. I'm new to golf comps, been playing golf for about 3 years, but time is short being a father of 5 but I practice everyday. Even just for 10 minutes putting. I just find it frustrating that I let it get to me, I know this is the part of my game I need to focus on. Thanks again .

sounds like you understand what you have to do - and yep, it's not easy. I've been playing 35 years and still struggle even though I realise exactly what's happening! I've also got 5 but I don't think that's a factor :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Focus: One shot at a time and never on the previous shot always on the next and only when you get to the ball. In between take your mind off your round, last shots, previous hole, next hole. Look at the scenery and enjoy the wildlife. In any reasonable game with normal players you can have a chat and take your mind off it until you get to your ball.

Good words there. If I've had an OK start and decide I want to see if I can get a decent round together I really focus on the here and now. Not only do I try and forget my last shot and last hole I also stop tracking my score. I just play a shot at a time. And in doing so not only do I not think forward to what I might score for the round - I don't project my score for the hole I am on. To the extreme that once I have worked out what I want to do with the shot I have to play I forget about all the 'what might happens'. Only one of a million 'what might happens'' WILL happen so why bother trying to get your head aaround all of them. DON'T - just play the shot and then deal with the 'what DID happen' - forgetting of course the shot that you've just played to get you to where you now are. etc

The other thing I do somewhat add oddds with the advice G_Ms advice is that I DON'T start chatting about this that and the other with my FCs. I'll chat - but not that much and only about the here and now of the hole we are playing.

I did this on Saturday. Realised I had 'crossed the road' (our front nine initial checkpoint) without any disasters - so I thought I'd see how I got on. I ended up 4 under h/cap (6 over par) - when I walked off the 18th I actually had no idea of my score - though I knew I must have done OK as I hadn't had any disasters.

Guys walking ahead of you - standing on markers etc Just accept that they are behaving badly - and that there is nothing you can do to change their behaviour. Do not let any resentments built up - and as all the above - just focus on playing the shot you have decided upon - one shot at a time. And I hazard a guess you'll score better not chatting with them.

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
but time is short being a father of 5 but I practice everyday.

Blimey and i moan about lack of time with 3 ankle biters!! the guys you played with sound like tossers, ignore and try to avoid next time! life is too short for people like that to get to you.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
...I want to see if I can get a decent round together... I also stop tracking my score.

... I ended up 4 under h/cap (6 over par) - when I walked off the 18th I actually had no idea of my score - though I knew I must have done OK as I hadn't had any disasters.

I don't understand? If you had no idea of your score how can you know you are 4 under your h/cap? Also, if you stop tracking your score, how do you know if you've actually had a decent round?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If any of my FCs walk in front of me when I'm about to play a shot, I roar fore!!! very loudly , they seem get the message, really bad manners on their part. :angry: .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't understand? If you had no idea of your score how can you know you are 4 under your h/cap? Also, if you stop tracking your score, how do you know if you've actually had a decent round?

As we gathered round to do the cards the FC marking my card told me I had 40 points and had dropped 6. I had a feeling I must have a half decent score as other than a 6 on the first I knew I hadn't had any 6s or 7s. I honestly didn't know my score - completely dropped it out of my thinking. Have to say that this is the first time I've actually managed to do that successfully - I try often enough.

Last edited:

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
As we gathered round to do the cards the FC marking my card told me I had 40 points and had dropped 6. I had a feeling I must have a half decent score as other than a 6 on the first I knew I hadn't had any 6s or 7s. I honestly didn't know my score - completely dropped it out of my thinking. Have to say that this is the first time I've actually managed to do that successfully - I try often enough.

Avoiding your total score is an excellent way of staying in the moment and playing one shot at a time. In a perfect world you would be able to do that and know where you stand but if you can only have one or the other go with the former. It is a huge part of playing at your best possible level and maintaining that level for as long as possible.

An extreme example is a couple of years ago it was well known with my playing partners that I had not broken 90 off the whites due to difficulties with my driving. I was playing well and avoiding my overall score until my playing partner told me what I needed on the 16th green. There was a good 12-15 guys who played comps with each other and although there was banter there was no malice and we all wanted each other to play well. I know he meant well when he told me I just needed to bogey in 17 and 18 for a 89. I went double, triple on those last two holes. I had the entire walk between 16th green and 17th tee to think about my score and what I needed to achieve it and I got waaaay ahead of myself.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Many years ago in a match - walking to 17th tee having had a round of not a lot of hitting greens in regulation but seeming to have a lot of chips and one putts to win holes - I totted up my score to discover I was one under gross. "Par in quite possible" I thought - for under under par round - bogied the last two holes :(

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
A good approach is NOT to think that they are deliberately doing it, or even that they are behaving badly.
Instead just presume that they haven't realised what they may be doing or how it may be affecting others, anyway
It is a much nicer world, and we play better golf ourself if we decide to think the best of people instead of always thinking they are out to get you

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A good approach is NOT to think that they are deliberately doing it, or even that they are behaving badly.
Instead just presume that they haven't realised what they may be doing or how it may be affecting others, anyway
It is a much nicer world, and we play better golf ourself if we decide to think the best of people instead of always thinking they are out to get you

Luke 23:34 KJV applies here and would help you (OP) in coping with this sort of scenario and PPs :)

Last edited: